Active Topics

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
I do not have a NIT myself. but i am so interested that I would like to ask:
1. after Deblet installed, NIT boots into which OS, Deblet or OS2008?
2. OS2008 acts like X desktop?
3. my understanding is virtual keyboard of os2008 is replaced if Deblet is installed, what else are replaced?
4. is it good for N800?
thanks.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
1. Deblet comes along with a boot menu so it normally boots into OS2008, but you can hit a button and a boot menu comes up and you can choose to boot either Deblet or OS2008.

2. Not sure what this means - OS2008 is a seperate operating system, does not try to run on top of Deblet.
3. Deblet is a seperate operating system from OS2008 - the only thing we "touch" in OS2008 is that we add some pieces to fit in a boot menu
4. Well, Deblet is still a work in progress and some might find it useful. If it's good for your tablet, - I use it on a N800 myself and it hasn't died yet
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
3. my understanding is virtual keyboard of os2008 is replaced if Deblet is installed, what else are replaced?
The answer to this question is both everything.. and yet nothing.

Near everything on Deblet is entirely new, and "replaces" OS2008 completely. Granted Skeeps is working on a bunch of the OS2008 stuff to bring it onto Deblet.. but for the most part they are totally different..

But it doesn't actually "replace" anything.. if you boot into OS2008 you'll have your originally tablet back and nothing was changed. Not even the virtual keyboard...
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
I got confused by this:

quoted from the post: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24272

OpenOffice Writer editing a document in OS2008, with Matchbox-Keyboard on top:

matchbox-keyboard is part of OS2008 or Deblet?

and
LXDE, (the Lightweight X Desktop Environment) running on top of OS2008:
LXDE modified for OS2008, or what?

if LXDE and matchbox-keyboard are part of Deblet, it means OS2008 is running together with Deblet.
that is why i asked the questions.

Easy Debian is not Deblet... there is a difference.

Easy Debian is a set of scripts that try and get Debian applications to appear to seamlessly integrate with OS2008.

The LXDE is running totally separate from OS2008 in Easy Debian .. the scripts just allow you to switch from one to the other.. like running a virtual machine.

And that Matchbox keyboard in the screenshot is a keyboard that exists in debian.. not OS2008. If you go edit a document in OS2008 you will get the same classic Keyboard you are used to..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: