Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
There are a lot of threads out there, that could confuse users into trying some hack or installation procedure, that was based on working with certain versions on the OS that has passed. That may or may work on current firmware. Should there be a way to mark threads as deprecated, as they are not working with the latest available firmwares?

For example here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=19639

I put deprecated on the tag, and I put a note on top of the page, but I am just wondering if we should have a mechanism?

I am thinking just a policy and moderators can do some sort of consistent methodology. Maybe just add a tag "deprecated", and maybe a warning on top of the page?

So your poll questions are,
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I think it's a great idea. But it's also good, in my opinion, not to delete the threads, as there could still be something useful in them, and maybe not everyone has chosen to install the updates that make the thread, um, deprecatable.

(Actually, I did the same thing as you (you need to follow the instruction in Post #1 to go to Post #2 to see it). But not every thread-starter is going to, or is even necessarily going to be around to do it.)

(In fact, I even kinda did it in my sig )

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Why not sterilize these threads by moving their instructions to subsections of the wiki, made specific for past versions of the firmware? This way they would remain useful for those who don't feel like updating their devices for whatever reason.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
I would be good if people would go through threads (old and new, but generally those which have reached some sort of resolution) and pick out stuff which is still relevant and stick it in the wiki. Otherwise the post dates should warn people that the info in a given post is old and therefore may have changed, I would hope

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Otherwise the post dates should warn people that the info in a given post is old and therefore may have changed, I would hope
I'm not sure this is obvious enough -- especially for new users. Also, especially if it takes an hour to read from the beginning through the end of a thread -- sometimes, new and important info is at the very end.

I was thinking about this... It'd be really cool if deprecated threads were displayed in some sort of different style, with a "key" on the top of each page.

Tim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I'm not sure this is obvious enough -- especially for new users. Also, especially if it takes an hour to read from the beginning through the end of a thread -- sometimes, new and important info is at the very end.

I was thinking about this... It'd be really cool if deprecated threads were displayed in some sort of different style, with a "key" on the top of each page.

Tim
How about a way to replace the first post in the thread. It would be really cool if you could make that first post a wiki, so any users who are now perhaps supporting it, can update it. Alternately, they could just work with moderators to put in the information.

Sorry just thinking out loud...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
They could be simply closed by the moderator with a redirect note added to the original post.

This requires more work and tedium for the moderator but cleans the place up and removes redundant and often misleading threads from a new members search results making the forum a better first time experience.

We all as good forum citizens should appreciate that a moderators job is not authoritarian but at times is a custodial one that involves cleaning up other peoples messes and what seems like repeating the same instruction over and over again. And on top of all that it is a voluntary and often thankless task.

We should endeavor to minimize duplicate and redundant threads in the first place. Contributors have been given the edit feature indefinitely and they should edit posts (and note the edits) to become relevant as conditions change.

Looking back pb, can you now see why I once called for the many "change" threads to be consolidated or closed? Future new members that dig up these ancient threads may re-open issues that have since been resolved. I wouldn't wish the replies that they may receive in doing so on anybody.

@Tim. Another way to cull the threads is to use Vb's trash feature if available. Moderators could simply put suspected or proposed for deprecation threads there until a Super or Admin reviews them. It also allows a thread to be restored, merged, or split if membership raises valid concerns in the interim.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
...but cleans the place up and removes redundant and often misleading threads from a new members search results making the forum a better first time experience.
Does vBulletin have a way to "remove" threads from search results? That would be really nice. That way, the threads are still around to be found if browsing (with the appropriate markings of a deprecated thread, etc.). But, in search results, only valid (i.e., useful) threads would appear.

Tim

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Bitrot happens. But how to define it, who decides what is bitrotten? The author? Or also others? And who will be allowed to fix? IMO mods should be able to fix first posts, but in a very sincere manner.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Does vBulletin have a way to "remove" threads from search results? That would be really nice. That way, the threads are still around to be found if browsing (with the appropriate markings of a deprecated thread, etc.). But, in search results, only valid (i.e., useful) threads would appear.

Tim
Yes, I believe via user groups and permisions but regard it is not very secure.
If I haven''t said so allready, Reggie or this forums admiin would be the ultimate source for what features are available.

Edited to correct name

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-12 at 23:10.