Active Topics

Hi,
I've connected my N900 through PC Suite to create USB router.
Now it's been for 5 hours at constant 42 degrees.
I've been using overclocking to 800 MHz, but it's the same situation with stock kernel.

Can I safely leave downloading for a night?

Thank you in advance,
mrover

Originally Posted by mrover View Post
Hi,
I've been using overclocking to 800 MHz, but it's the same situation with stock kernel.

Thank you in advance,
mrover
mine runs at that sometimes but hads never gone higher i use smartclocker check here that saves ya phone if it goes over 45oC i used to use it as wifi for hours an was fine !!

The Following User Says Thank You to stevomanu For This Useful Post:
with Stock kernel, PR1.2 and no other special software running:

I notice there is some sort of battery capacity melt-down when
the n900 ambient temperature reaches a critical point (?)
-and- is running wifi and in particular web browsing (microB).
In that instance the battery just wilts away in a matter of an hour or so.

Turning the n900 off and letting it cool before turning it back on
seems to help fend off this moment.

I have just upped to PR 1.3 and haven't seen this yet,
but that may only be due to habitually being wary of getting the unit overheated.

If you are connected through a USB port or it is otherwise charging
(you said you are using PC suite - I assume windows and cable)
then I would suggest you make sure it has some sort of fan or other means of keeping the device from cooking off

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by mrover View Post
Hi,

Thank you in advance,
mrover
If you're working up your N900 this way, then it's normal. I got the similar temp. range when I use it as a wifi router (with 100mA, no powersave). Now I switch to bluetooth-PAN hotspot, now the the temp. never gets higher than 35.

BTW I'd suggest you turn off overclock (back to 600) when you're just making it as a router. It's better to overclocking your device manually on need, e.g. browsing, playing games, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I routinely reach 45, but rarely go above. At 45, the device feels warm and I kind of throttle it down a bit. However, since I've had it a long while at 600 MHz, I remember the device getting way warmer than that. So, basically, it's meant to take that kind of abuse. I doubt N900 can't take an official Nokia game for over an hour without damage.

So, basically, I keep it under 45 by feel. It is, however, true that if it reaches 45 over a longer period, it's probably that the whole board is warm, whereas an exclusive CPU task would probably mean the CPU is way above 45.

42 is fine. Sometimes it gets way hotter than that if I charge the phone after use.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
wifi on, charging the phone at the same time,temp goes on 53.6 degrees now,( conky showe up with that value.may i know is this fatal and how to deal with it ?

Last edited by prankster; 2011-06-18 at 14:45.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
wifi on, charging the phone at the same time,temp goes on 53.6 degrees now,( conky showe up with that value.may i know is this fatal and how to deal with it ?
your n900 will automatically shut down when you reach the max battery temp i think....

I have not reach 53 degrees Celsius but i did reach 50. and that's on stock kernel....

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
every time if i use wifi ,battery drains quickly ,so i have to recharge at the same time ,and then temp goes high ,today it went 53.6 degrees ,then soon i turned wifi off and it was okey ,
stock kernel v 47 @ 600 mhz ,
i wish i was developer so i could take a look ,hope some one takes a serious look on this serious issue .

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
every time if i use wifi ,battery drains quickly ,so i have to recharge at the same time ,and then temp goes high ,today it went 53.6 degrees ,then soon i turned wifi off and it was okey ,
stock kernel v 47 @ 600 mhz ,
i wish i was developer so i could take a look ,hope some one takes a serious look on this serious issue .
and the faster the battery drain, the higher the battery temp.

i once drained a fully charged n900 battery for 2 hours (from 98% down to 4%) and battery temp was 51 degrees celsius....

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

got mine up to 70c once running faircracker obv the phone turned off xD, kinda lucky it still works

gav