Active Topics

Well, two days ago my my 900 screen started to turn off. I hit on the slider would cause it to to come back but only for a short time eventually it would just come on for a second and turn right off.

I did a battery pull and it seemed to clear up.

It was OK till last night when it started to do the same.....today it will not come on at all.

What I notice is that it appears that if I go through the motions of turning it on the haptic feed back tells me it is on and that touch is working....just that the screen is off.

I originally thought it could have been software related....so when I could get a screen I started removing any of the latest software I installed or upgraded and I removed the OC kernel.

It is not just the back light, there is no image on the screen. And now...it is to the point where a battery pull-reboot does not show anything at all...it is dark.

So...I guess I can try to reflash to be sure it is not software related but I suspect I will be sending it for service.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Swindon
Mine did a similar thing but i had ruined my screen at glastonbury. when i got home i had to connect it to my TV using the TV cables and was able to 'see' my screen OK and then read all my texts etc.

My replacement screen cost me £80 to get it fitted at a Nokia repair shop.

Good luck.

C

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
Originally Posted by mcderment View Post
Mine did a similar thing but i had ruined my screen at glastonbury. when i got home i had to connect it to my TV using the TV cables and was able to 'see' my screen OK and then read all my texts etc.

My replacement screen cost me £80 to get it fitted at a Nokia repair shop.

Good luck.

C
User shouldn't need to pay for a faulty screen? should be covered by the device warranty

Please follow me on Twitter

www.twitter.com/marcdixon

The strange behavior continues......

Since my last post there has been NO sign of the screen coming back on but things like espeaktime work and I can still feel that the touch screen is working.

So....I figure lets do a backup before doing anything else so I hook up to a PC and fire up PC Suite......As soon as I do that the screen wakes up as if it is in flash mode (no backlight-Nokia on blank background, and a popup on the PC screen shows flash mode)....

Now PC suite stops and nothing else happens. I disconnect then reconnect the 900....it connects normally, the screen came on. I did a back up and it is back to normal....for now!

If the board has a problem (and plugging it and out wiggled something) then I would think I could upset things but wiggling the connector, squeezing or otherwise flexing the device should do something but I have not been able trigger anything....

I'll post more when I can but I have a suspicion that the problem is software (device driver, firmware ... there must be some kind of boot ROM or something, that got corrupt or something)...that's why I planned to reflash) IT is either that or is something on the board...hopefully it will either not happen again or it will degrade faster so I can determine what solution to try.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Sounds software-related to me. Definitely worth a flash!

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful