Active Topics

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Is the Meego 1.0 release going to be resetting the Maemo Step X of 5 count?

I.e. Maemo 5 (N900) being labeled as Step 4/5 to consumer friendly mainstream devices running Maemo?

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL
I think they changed the plan and Maemo5 is step 4/4 now, no more step 5

MeeGo now is step 1/x

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yeah... they got null pointer exception and the program has to be reset at this point. I'm sure MeeGo will start their own x-step system, let's just wait for the announcement.

Or maybe they'll just make a roadmap, because things seem to be much more mature coming from well cooked Maemo and Moblin.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Oh... I've been waiting for this to come up. And sadly know that we mere mortals will never get an answer from Nokia pertaining this.

As far as it goes... I'm just gonna call MeeGo the first "divide by zero" event that I personally witnessed in real life.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Is the Meego 1.0 release going to be resetting the Maemo Step X of 5 count?

I.e. Maemo 5 (N900) being labeled as Step 4/5 to consumer friendly mainstream devices running Maemo?
No. There's plenty of information available about this question. What Nokia will be offering as their first "MeeGo"-device this year will, in fact, run the operating system that is code-named Harmattan... previously known as Maemo 6. They only changed names.

Future MeeGo-devices - the real MeeGo - will certainly not "reset the counter". They're not going to re-invent the wheel (like they had to from Symbian to Maemo). Moblin and Maemo were so similar in the first place that their child MeeGo won't be too different either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
That's not quite true.

Harmattan they have said that they are sticking with what they had already been working on previous to the Intel / Nokia wrt Moblin / Maemo merger.

Maemo 6, is basically the same though as Meego, but with Debian still as the base?

Well at least that's as far as I was able to discern from all the crap.

They had basically said "Yes, we're switching to Meego from here on out, but we don't want to just throw away all our work on Harmattan."

But from the look of things, the main reason they switched to RPM is going away... the OBS, there's a Maemo 5 Deb version now. I still think they should stick to Debs, every RPM based distribution I've ever used, I have always ended up having some problem. Though CentOS is pretty sweet (it should be, being based on RHEL).

slaapliedje

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
The answer is no.

The next release will still be the good old Harmattan. Only its brand name has changed.

Harmattan device is still step 5/6/whatever but it's meant to be API compatible with MeeGo.

But yes.. I kind of consider the Step 4 / Never now. Divide by zero was entertaining; as was the null pointer exception.

You guys are awesome.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
MeeGo doesn't affect the Harmattan release "much" for all I know, so I don't see why it should reset the counter.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Anssi Vanjoki has been talking about those steps to reach the mainstream from a Nokia device product point of view (N810 launch, N900 introduced in Nokia World). For this reason the "step 5" makes more sense when seen from a Nokia device product point of view.

From a MeeGo point of view there is a new step every six months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: