Hi.

I can't save my todo list today, because the root partition is full. N810. I have previously emptied some cache, moved some log files from /home/user/ to mmc1 and symlinked to them, and now I consider moving+symlinking the entire MyDocs directory there.

Like mentioned in this thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=14606

However, there was a warning on that thread, saying:

"Though this works, this procedure might cause the battery to drain quickly. I'm not really sure whether this is the reason, but after I did these, my battery drained quickly."

So, this halted my plan somewhat. Have anyone moved the MyDocs folder? What reasons exist not to?

Last edited by volt; 2009-11-02 at 18:47.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I'm using $MYDOCSDIR on mmc2 with no visible battery issues for months.
So my suggestion is: backup, and try.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Okay, I have symlinked it over, and now I'll run it like this for a few days to see if there's any bothersome effects.

I have some few percent free space now, but /usr is still a bit on the large size. It reports as 300MB and that on a 256MiB partition.
Half that in /usr/lib, another 82MB in /usr/share. I should go in there, hunting.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Hi.

I can't save my todo list today, because the root partition is full. N810. I have previously emptied some cache, moved some log files from /home/user/ to mmc1 and symlinked to them, and now I consider moving+symlinking the entire MyDocs directory there.

"Though this works, this procedure might cause the battery to drain quickly. I'm not really sure whether this is the reason, but after I did these, my battery drained quickly."

So, this halted my plan somewhat. Have anyone moved the MyDocs folder? What reasons exist not to?
I've had /home/user/MyDocs and /home/user/sword symlinked to /media/mmc1 since day 1. Since I have a lot of video and podcast traffic to /home/user/MyDocs/.videos and .sounds respectively (and some can get rather large), and the Bibles and commentaries can take up space, I moved them over.

The plus side is that they fit nicely on my 16GB card, but the downside is that I can't generally remove the SD card, not that I have reason to now that USB networking works. I plug the entire device into my desktop and it mounts the external drive like a charm. For smaller stuff (e.g. mp3s/oggs), I just transfer over wireless.

--vr

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Hi.

Maybe you know all this, but if not ...

It's generally not a problem to just download everything to, and change defaults for saving to, some directory on a removable card rather than into MyDocs. I have almost nothing in MyDocs.

The only stuff that you have to have with the system are the apps, and if they are taking up too much room, the typical solution is to clone the system to a larger partition on a removable card, as per my sig below (particularly "try here first").

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Yes, thanks.

I know that I don't have to use MyDocs, and I have a /Documents on... somewhere. Though moving /MyDocs was no more work than moving /MyDocs/.documents/Maps, which was hiding 81MB here. And it's easier/quicker to change directory in some programs than others.

After Symlinking, I had to charge two nights in a row. That seems slightly more but it's hard to say since I probably used it more actively.

du | sort -n | grep -v media reports that I have way too many MB in /usr, quite a bit more than you'd expect in a 256MB partition. Most in /usr/lib, /usr/share and /usr/bin. I assume moving /usr/lib would mean a general slowdown. But no more than cloning the system to the SDHC, I would also assume.

Last edited by volt; 2009-11-06 at 15:47. Reason: text.commasToPeriods();

Tags
mydocs symlink