With touch screen the focus of smartphones and screens (currently) being the major limiting feature on the area of the phone, what's the biggest screen size you (personally) would want in a phone that's also meant to fit in your pocket?

And also, what do you reckon would be the mainstream standard in a couple of years? 3.5, 4.3...x?

The largest probably is the n800, 4 inch. Mainstream, I can't imagine it getting bigger than 4 inches for pocketability reasons (and even then you can't wear slim jeans or jeans). Which is fine with me since I don't like wearing jeans. Now if you had devices that could fold up and slide out to reveal bigger screens then maybe.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I get the feeling most people feel 3.5" is too big. If you primarily want a phone then I think the 5800XM is a nice form factor, but for a tablet with phone functionality that I can carry all the time - I would be happy with 4.3" I think. Now if that would be easy to hold to my ear, I do not know. But I have always preferred to have big inside pockets in my coat, although it does still need to fit in my loose-fitting trousers. Anyone putting a phone in tight-fitting jeans is asking for it to get broken anyway.

Personally I would prefer a larger screen and having to use a headset most of the time, than being forced to have a smaller screen just to make holding it to my face a little easier. I hate holding it to my face anyway, if you aren't careful the screen gets all greasy.

As soon as someone develops a cheap bluetooth watch comparable to the ripoff expensive Sony ones, then I can see using that for the phone and changing music tracks, only taking it out of my pocket at home or to use the computer functionality. That way it wont matter so much if its awkward to hold to your face.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2009-12-24 at 17:19.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
I could perhaps do with 4.8, if there's minimum wasted space around, but I don't expect anything bigger than 4.3 will become mainstream. 3.5 IMO is way too small.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
I would like pico projectors to become mainstream where the screen size constraint would be overcome by the ability to produce large projected screens.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
The 810 is the biggest device I could see myself using as a phone.

I was somewhat disappointed that the n900 was smaller, mainly due to the keyboard, battery, and kickstand compromises this necessitated though, not the screen itself.

Forgot to consider screen ratio. Could have 3.5 in a variety of widescreen options.

Anyway, for me, I think 4-4.3 is enough. It would still be small enough if it was just a border. Couldn't use anything smaller than 3.2 anymore.

[I'd really like to see a borderless screened phone - reduce footprint and could look really cool]

the N900 is big enough for me, I just couldn't picture carrying around anything bigger

I could not see using my N810 as a phone. I think the N900 would be the biggest, but I haven't actually held one - so thats speculation. The Motorola Cliq is decent enough.. so maybe that size.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
the N900 is big enough for me, I just couldn't picture carrying around anything bigger
Is that area, width or thickness? or all?

I think the N900 isn't that big, but it is fat. It would be neat if it were slimmer. That way it's easier to grasp the phone with one hand.