n900 is good and unique, but i if i was to buy a new phone now i would wait to see either for the n9 or buy a webOS phone, which seem to offer much more software then the n900 can even dream about, webOS IMO is a sucess where n900 has been a let down, webOS has similar values as those behind the nXX0 series, and you can even find tools like aircrack in the webOS, etc...

The Following User Says Thank You to windows7 For This Useful Post:
it's a phone. lifecycle measures in months, not years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by hackfanatic View Post
don't hurry, wait a bit..
I'm with hackfanatic, here. MeeGo sounds like it'll be worth waiting for. If you're itching very badly, my preference would be to go Android where the community is thriving with customizations and prolific coding is going on. The Maemo side of things has been like a North Dakota town out in the middle of nowhere: bitterly cold and boring, everybody complains about the potholes and nobody from the local gov't (Nokia) cares.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Could be. The price on Amazon.com here in the US dropped from $469 to $349 last week, which to me is a fairly dramatic drop. (I ordered one the moment I noticed the price drop -- it's just in time to replace my first-gen iPhone, whose battery is finally starting to fail...)
$349 is pretty dramatic, myess. I can also remember a time when a brand new Yugo was dramatically cheaper than the other new cars, too. Draw your own conclusions.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
it's a phone. lifecycle measures in months, not years.
Don't be an idiot, Starscream. When we fly in under their early warning system with their own shuttle, the Autobots will be vanquished forever!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
$349 is pretty dramatic, myess. I can also remember a time when a brand new Yugo was dramatically cheaper than the other new cars, too. Draw your own conclusions.
My conclusion: tiny PC, decent hardware, runs honest-to-god Linux, can also be used as phone, now at incredible low price.

I'm sold on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
My conclusion: tiny PC, decent hardware, runs honest-to-god Linux, can also be used as phone, now at incredible low price.

I'm sold on it.
Exactly correct,
and the n900 has a great community existing right now.

N9 Meego is still a year in the future for most markets,
(it will need approvals even more difficult to obtain
which is why it took almost a year to get to many markets)
and
n9 will not be cheap, nor will it come out the gate
without many driver issues and bugfixes.

You all know what Nokia does by its history
- some closed-source driver that raises a big stink
- some locked-in crippleware that cannot be removed
- some silly locale hack or other key internal communication
protocol/format that basic firmware bits will still be locked into
despite

N9 will still be a wonderful piece of kit,
but the first months of its history will have a lot of
wailing and gnashing of teeth.

You are not going to see the n9 on the shelf or
available except through some foreign ripoff website
for a very long time, and at prices that will be stellar.

n9 is not here now.
n9 will not be here tomorrow, next week, next month

and for many of the global markets until the later half of next year.
And when it arrives it will have almost no community support
until it has been released for a few months.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
And then I saw this little gem written by someone
who seems a bit confused about open source
but nailed it right here:

What's rather strange is that lots of people are expecting MeeGo to be a blockbuster of an OS that will finally show the world how mobile phones should work.

"<skipping his utter hatred of open source>
... For example, the Linux kernel was considered a temporary measure for a significant part of its history. It was believed that something called GNU Hurd would eventually take its rightful place at the centre of the open source operating system world.

The trouble is that Hurd kept getting redesigned, with ever more ambitious ideas getting mixed in, and it never actually got close to completion. Even now it still isn't finished.

<Snip more way off base skewers>

Why isn't MeeGo here right now? Seriously. A lot is riding on this. How close is it to release? Where are the phones that feature it?
What this all means is we have the n900 right now,
and waiting for promises may take more time than you expect

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
The N900 exists now, and is at close to half it's original launch price. It's a known thing, with known support and limitations. Look over the forums, see what works and what doesn't. If you can live with the "limitations", go for it.

If you want to wait for the next new thing, and get the latest whats-it, you're always going to be waiting. New devices will be more expensive year to year, and will have new gizmos and hardware that will become "must have" items. And some things will inevitably turn out to be vaporware, that happens all the time.

The N900 does exactly what I want. I've been debating getting a second unit, both for testing, and because I'd like a backup just in case the one I have fails in some way. But then I owned an N6230 for 5 years before I got my N900 and used it as my primary phone for 99% of that time, because it did what I needed.

If you do decide to go for the N900, I'd say don't wait. If Nokia does end-of-life it soon, store stock (which is already low) will drop to 0 in no time flat. (You saw that with the N8XX.) Make your choice, and pull the trigger soon, whichever way you decide.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
i buyed mine because i didnt want to lose the oportunity of getting a phone with a level of openess that i dont know if there will be one out of this kind.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vlitzer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
ok thank you guys! I decided that I'm going to look at Android and Meego, while I will try to get a n900 before it discontinued.

N900 is ok for me,even if is incomplete and has limitations.

Is strange that no one advise me to get a iphone...lol

Thanks to your replies I know what to do now,this thread can be close.

If you're after a secondhand one, try cex shops (www.webuy.com).

Brought mine (unlocked) in their maidstone branch, £260 less £108 for trading in an old camcorder and my n810.