Originally Posted by shady View Post
is it SO hard to wait till june?
You do realize how many anti-open business decisions selop can do before June? It's a race!

Originally Posted by Brock View Post
from twitter:
forumnokia (Forum Nokia Team)

here's the deal: we will announce a MeeGo-based device this year and will make that announcement at the appropriate time. Thanks.
Even when they aren't saying anything, some will hear something. *twitch*

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
You do realize how many anti-open business decisions selop can do before June? It's a race!
i said it before, probably not taken very seriously, but at the risk of being flamed for flooding the thread, i'll say it again...

Elop is working @ NOKIA now and even though his m$ past is obviously looming all over the place, there is the possibility that he got "lured" @ NOKIA in order to facilitate the cooperation w/ m$.

NOKIA got him, they knew what they were getting.
and Elop may be the C Exe O, he isn't a monarch who can do whatever he wants.
and ppl like Green are still present to guarantee some integrity.

maybe the only reason we still have to wait is because Maemo / MeeGo maybe ready for a DE for the N900, but not yet for a consumer experience?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
You know, the developer device probably won't ship with Harmattan. Why would you show off the new OS on 'old sub-standard h/w'? Me thinks it will have MeeGo 1.2 or N900DE (h/w are *similar*), at least until the consumer device ships. Just saying.

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
You know, the developer device probably won't ship with Harmattan. Why would you show off the new OS on 'old sub-standard h/w'? Me thinks it will have MeeGo 1.2 or N900DE (h/w are *similar*), at least until the consumer device ships. Just saying.
I doubt it. The teaser video clearly showed the so-called Dev device with a hw kbd and you could easily see that the UI/UX is 10000 miles ahead of MeeGo 1.2 DE on N900. Also, the dev device might not have been publicly "seen" if that teaser vid wasn't leaked. So it's a device which no one should really know/care about according to Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
Well as "old hw" in this context is only related to the SOC i still believe both will ship with A8 single core proc. Like our insider guessed several pages ago.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post
Elop is working @ NOKIA now
He's working at Nokia, I am not sure the stockholders feel he is working for them: he's been working there for a few months now, but his biggest impact was what we saw February 8th and 11th;
http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...YSE:NOK&ntsp=0

I'm not saying that he has a hidden agenda. I just think he's a product of his background. His current agenda doesn't seem to be doing Nokia any favours. A couple of days after Feb. 11th, analysts revisited Nokias expectations and slashed a major percentage of their expected market share and income in 2011. Not because Symbian was failing - all the analysts already had that in their estimates. Because Nokia shunned their own platform, scaring every parts of the marketing chain, including both the consumers and a fair share of their employees, from investing in Nokia stock (products).

Nokia management made sure Nokia would sell a whole manureload of less Symbian devices in 2011. Before Nokia had an alternative ready.

Look at the sales (in million units) for mid 2010:

They had all the media/tech bloggers against themselves, but clearly they were still selling phones!

What we're seeing now is that Nokia will lose marketshare faster in 1st and 2nd quarter 2011 than they ever did because of IOS and Android. BTW, it also made their employees leave their offices in protest - how's that for company morale? If that was the plan, then it's a pretty expensive plan.

Edit: Btw, my numbers are based on old numbers, so here's 2011 compared to 2010. Notice Symbian and Microsoft numbers (in units sold). That Android is rocketing is kinda beside the point when you're selling units, not percentages.

Last edited by volt; 2011-05-25 at 23:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I doubt it. The teaser video clearly showed the so-called Dev device with a hw kbd and you could easily see that the UI/UX is 10000 miles ahead of MeeGo 1.2 DE on N900. Also, the dev device might not have been publicly "seen" if that teaser vid wasn't leaked. So it's a device which no one should really know/care about according to Nokia.
like i pointed out before, hidden in plain view...
they left that darn video online for three days and knew there were going to be tons of pirated copies available once it was taken down
(would have been the case even after 3 minutes, but...)

so, all we have is... rumours.
why is it so difficult to consider the possibility that the dev in the video could be the actual and only NOKIA MeeGo device we'll get this year?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
He's working at Nokia, I am not sure the stockholders feel he is working for them: he's been working there for a few months now, but his biggest impact was what we saw February 8th and 11th;
http://www.google.com//finance?chdnp...YSE:NOK&ntsp=0

I'm not saying that he has a hidden agenda. I just think he's a product of his background. His current agenda doesn't seem to be doing Nokia any favours. A couple of days after Feb. 11th, analysts revisited Nokias expectations and slashed a major percentage of their expected market share and income in 2011. Not because Symbian was failing - all the analysts already had that in their estimates. Because Nokia shunned their own platform, scaring every parts of the marketing chain, including the consumers, from investing in Nokia stock (products).

Nokia management made sure Nokia would sell a whole manureload of less Symbian devices in 2011. Before Nokia had an alternative ready.

What we're seeing is that Nokia will lose marketshare faster in 1st and 2nd quarter 2011 than they ever did because of IOS and Android. If that was the plan, then it's a pretty expensive plan.
true, he is product of his background
when he made that announcement, he was sure the shares would rocket.
well Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia are a painful reminder that rocket science isn't routine yet.

did the announcement of the cooperation came to early
yes, of course
could NOKIA have waited any longer?
probably not
so it was a gamble, between the likely damage of reputation & sales & market share and waiting too long to the extend that Symbian would completely lose ground & NOKIA collapse before an alternative was available.
which is the worst?

which of the two alternatives could be expected to be ready in time? MeeGo or LostDOS Paralysed se7en.xxx ?

Last edited by misterc; 2011-05-25 at 23:58.

Nokia already DID collapse. We've just not seen the aftermatch of it.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland