Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
and the new name?

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
and the new name?
A few have been thrown around, you got any ideas? The key here is community oriented non-device specific.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Nokia N900 MeeGo WWYBRFCS-Edition

-> Nokia N900 MeeGo When Will You Be Released For Christ Sake-Edition

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on May 2010 @ France
Public Release 1.4 Meego N900 Edition ? ^^

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ New Jersey
Am I the only member of this forum that actually read the post from Engadget about Nokia's purported R&D focus from now until 2016?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/e...2016-at-least/

At the moment, they're at least going to have their hands in Meego until 2016. If you take a look at the graph, Meego doesn't have the biggest share of the focus(obviously), but it is still there. Mind you, that's 5 years from now and who knows what can happen between now and then?

Why does everyone appear to be such downers about the situation? I understand tech nerds often have a highly vested interested in the companies they back and support, but at least give the whole situation time to pan out. Nokia adopting Windows Phone 7 means absolutely nothing if Windows Phone 7 sales keep crawling along as they have. Obviously, Nokia's intentions are to change that, but I have to say this: Windows Phone 7's slow adoption(as far as sales go), has little to nothing to do with the hardware that's supported it and EVERYTHING to do with OS itself.

People don't dislike WP7 phones because they suck or they're slow. MS prevented that from happening with the extremely high minimum requirements. The problem is the OS isn't sweeping people off it's feet because people are still trying to wrap their minds around how smartphones can/will play a role in their everyday lives. Why would someone pick a WP7 phone over an iPhone? The OS doesn't have a whole lot things helping, but the hardware could be the one place that anyone could easily say would fix it. Settling for a so-so OS to get better hardware probably isn't worth it in many people's eyes so they go with iPhone and Android stuff because of the market share, advertising, and tech hype around it. This whole ordeal is bigger than just this phone, so take it in smaller pieces to digest it easier.

Questions for Nokia:
Will this phone actually come out? When will it come out? What OS and specs will it have(forget the rumors, nothing is concrete, even Nokia doesn't seem sure)?
Questions to ask yourself, the consumer:
Does this phone have what I want? Are their any major flaws that will prevent this device from working the way I'd like it to? How good will the device be when I receive it?

People seem so caught up in these companies long term goals(I was an early Android adopter and, no joke, Android users and the vocal part of the community are/ were just as confused about many of the steps/missteps that Android has taken, yet they're maintaining at the moment. Do you plan on keeping your phone for 5 years and expect updates throughout that entire period? I highly doubt it, so enjoy the device for what it is when you purchase it. Let some things take place before flipping about rumors...

Check out:
pyRadio-A Pandora Client

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Arsonist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post
Questions for Nokia:
Will this phone actually come out? When will it come out? What OS and specs will it have(forget the rumors, nothing is concrete, even Nokia doesn't seem sure)?
Questions to ask yourself, the consumer:
Does this phone have what I want? Are their any major flaws that will prevent this device from working the way I'd like it to? How good will the device be when I receive it?
The phone is coming, I was insinuating that when I said "non-device specific" in my previous post about the N900 DE name change.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 305 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ 'Nam
I would love to come back to Nokia(cause they don't skimp on hardware) and be a meego user cause I still love my N900. And leave android and htc behind in the dust. But seriously without a HW keyboard it would be a no go. I'm just one of them users that has to have a HW keyboard for me to buy it. So fingers crossed that the N9 comes with a HW keyboard. Or I'm stuck with android and htc til they do

The Following User Says Thank You to Hotshot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
was just reading IRC logs they was speculating that the patented tech not seen on any other devices on the market could be this, there was a few special n900's proto's using it at NRC
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-illusion.html

it would probably mean it being resistive screen though unless they found way to do this on capacitive screen which is highly unlikely

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-05-30 at 23:13.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Barcelona
Due to the huge size of the thread, I can't find it now, but IIRC, a user suggested that looking at the shots from the video, the UI seemed to react before the screen is touched, and K123 seemed to nod at this observation. I'm watching again the video, but I can't see it.

Is someone able to find that message?

EDIT: Forget it, I found the page:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72977&page=208

But now that I read it again, I don't know if that could be the "new" special thing. I was thinking in some special sensors in the borders of the screen, for swiping more and better.

Last edited by suy; 2011-05-30 at 23:44. Reason: Found the page

The Following User Says Thank You to suy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Arsonist View Post

Why does everyone appear to be such downers about the situation?
fool me once...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland