Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
It's really dependent on the length of the route and how detailed you want to get. When I downloaded my maps it took about 20 minutes.
Mine took less than 4 min and it worked, NC to Fl. As Barry put it, it boils down to how detailed you want to be.

bun

barry, u state download map prior to trip. what site u use to download the maps? All the ones that i had found are to be loaded with tablet. I want to download with pc and transfer to my 2gig

I want to mention a few points.

First, the only repository for which it would be legal to pre-package and distribute maps would be OpenStreetMap, and since that repository is being updated every day (I just noticed that my entire suburb had been completely mapped within the last three months!), it doesn't really make a lot of sense to take a snapshot of OpenStreetMap's repository and distribute it, unless your snapshot is limited to a small, fully-mapped area.

Second, yes, because Maemo Mapper uses raster images instead of vector data, it can certainly reach much larger sizes than can be stored on a memory card. But no one is going to need every single zoom level for every single square inch of the United States. If you plan your downloads appropriately, you can easily fit a very usable set of maps into a single gigabyte.

For example, I leave on the East Coast of the United States. I tend to download all of America at a certain zoom level (totalling maybe 100MB), just in case I'm in a far-off state and need rough directions (i.e. at the highway level). I then get more and more detailed as I get closer to my home area. I also only download the even zoom levels, since I don't need the odds. And if I'm ever traveling to an area where I need more detailed maps than are already in my cache, I plan my trip and download them in advance.

You can tailor your cache to your own particular needs. Sure, it's not as flexible as having vector data for an entire region, but that vector data is expensive, so Maemo Mapper's free-and-open-source status is a tradeoff.

i have a couple issues with the mapper software. first once i put in an address to center the map on..i try to zoom in it only zooms in and out in increments of 4, so i can do level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. when on zoom level 20 everything is black no matter what map service i choose. once i zoom in once, i go from level 20, to 16, and i can now see the us map, zoom in again and i have a clear view of the city i chose, one more level in and it processes maps for a few seconds, and then i get a super blurry/grainy zoomed in image that i cant see anything on...and thats zoom lvl 4, zoom lvl 0 is all black, and that is on google streets....any tips?

Originally Posted by vegasvento View Post
i have a couple issues with the mapper software. first once i put in an address to center the map on..i try to zoom in it only zooms in and out in increments of 4, so i can do level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20. when on zoom level 20 everything is black no matter what map service i choose. once i zoom in once, i go from level 20, to 16, and i can now see the us map, zoom in again and i have a clear view of the city i chose, one more level in and it processes maps for a few seconds, and then i get a super blurry/grainy zoomed in image that i cant see anything on...and thats zoom lvl 4, zoom lvl 0 is all black, and that is on google streets....any tips?
First, check the "View Zoom Steps" setting for your repository (in the "Manage Repositories" dialog). This option determines how many zoom levels Maemo Mapper will subtract and add when you zoom in and out (respectively). Setting it to 2 bars means that Maemo Mapper only shows the even zoom levels. It sounds like you have it set to 4. The default is 1.

Also make sure that the "Download Zoom Steps" setting is appropriate for you. Download Zoom Steps is similar to View Zoom Steps, except that it controls the zoom levels that are auto-downloaded. For example, setting Download Zoom Steps to 3 bars means that Maemo Mapper only (automatically) downloads zoom levels that are divisible by 3. Usually, you want "Download Zoom Steps" to be the same (or at least a multiple of) "View Zoom Steps". The default is 2.

Lastly, check the "Min" and "Max" Auto-Downloaded zoom levels (also set per repository in the "Manage Repositories" dialog. Those values determine the min and max zoom levels that Maemo Mapper will attempt to (automatically) download for that repository. If you have "Max" set to a value less than 20, then all the zoom levels above that "Max" will not be visible unless you manually download those maps (with the "Manage Maps" dialog). The defaults are repository-specific, but are 4 and 20 for OpenStreetMap, and the "Max" is definitely 20 for all other repositories.

Not sure how those settings could have changed themselves, but they may explain your issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
thanks, that helped a little, straightened out the zooming levels. now when it says processing maps...is it downloading them to the n800, or just caching and viewing them? Say im looking at zoom level 8, above my house, google satelite, and i vew the download zoom settings, it shows the current level im at only, so i select a few different levels to download, i hit ok and it wants me to confirm download of maps...ok so it downloads them, and then i check the download zoom levels again and its back to the single current level im at. does it download the zoom levels you choose, and then just revert back to the single zoom level your currently viewing? Also is there a reason why the satelite images are very grainy and blurry at the close up zoom levels? i know if your on a large machine, google satelite looks great and i can actually make out the car sitting in my driveway. on the n800 its all blur when at the closer in levels.

thanks, that helped a little, straightened out the zooming levels. now when it says processing maps...is it downloading them to the n800, or just caching and viewing them?
It is downloading them and caching them in your Map Cache DB, the location of which is specified in the "Manage Repositories" dialog.

Say im looking at zoom level 8, above my house, google satelite, and i vew the download zoom settings
Are you talking about the "Zoom Levels" tab of the "Manage Maps" dialog?

, it shows the current level im at only, so i select a few different levels to download, i hit ok and it wants me to confirm download of maps...ok so it downloads them, and then i check the download zoom levels again and its back to the single current level im at. does it download the zoom levels you choose, and then just revert back to the single zoom level your currently viewing?
If you're talking about the "Manage Maps" dialog, then yes, it resets those zoom level checkboxes every time you open the dialog.

Also is there a reason why the satelite images are very grainy and blurry at the close up zoom levels? i know if your on a large machine, google satelite looks great and i can actually make out the car sitting in my driveway. on the n800 its all blur when at the closer in levels.
Did you download the lower zoom levels?

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
i seem to be getting alot of map failed to download errors. The sattelte images look great and clear at zoom lvl 4, but once i try to go any closer it turns into a grainy blur. so i tried to tell it to download the closer up zoom levels, and i get an error that the 16 maps failed to download. so it tried changing my location and then zooming in, and telling it to download the close maps again and it worked! i was right above the address and it was sharp and clear...so i went back to my house address, same steps but i get the maps failed to download error, and a very blurry/grainy image.......and thanks for all the help by the way

i seem to be getting alot of map failed to download errors. The sattelte images look great and clear at zoom lvl 4, but once i try to go any closer it turns into a grainy blur. so i tried to tell it to download the closer up zoom levels, and i get an error that the 16 maps failed to download. so it tried changing my location and then zooming in, and telling it to download the close maps again and it worked! i was right above the address and it was sharp and clear...so i went back to my house address, same steps but i get the maps failed to download error, and a very blurry/grainy image.......and thanks for all the help by the way
Not all zoom levels are available for all locations. In some repositories, you may have Zoom Level 2 available for certain areas (like city centers) but not for other areas (like suburbs or rural areas).

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Upstate NY
I don't have a N800 yet still too busy buying presents for other people lol but I am on here like everyday living vicariously through you guys until I get my own (next month hopefully ).

but I was wondering can maemo mapper use the same OpenStreetMaps that Navit does cause those maps are only about 1.5 GB here is the link to the wiki with the info:

http://navit.sourceforge.net/wiki/in...OpenStreetMaps

Sorry if the answer has already been posted, I have read all the post on maemo mapper and Navit on the board and maybe I missed the answer