Posts: 203 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Austria
Why is there no fart-app for N900?
Would be nice if it creates a custom fart, calculated with the N900s mac-adress, so every user has its personal fart.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AndiThebest For This Useful Post:
To add just as important as having quality apps is to have excellent search and put the quality apps on display, plus to have these quality apps on display to change daily, weekly. Especially when you are talking about something like Android and ios.

This is by far best done on ios. Horrible done on Android side.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Greece
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
This is by far best done on ios. Horrible done on Android side.
And let's not even get started on ovi store

The Following User Says Thank You to giorgosmit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by AndiThebest View Post
Why is there no fart-app for N900?
Would be nice if it creates a custom fart, calculated with the N900s mac-adress, so every user has its personal fart.
I saw such app today in extras-devel.

Indeed.

Only WP7 is not by any definition a 'popular ecosystem'. You'd have to be drug-addled out of your mind or clinically insane to think that WP7 is in any way 'popular'.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
So yes, there are benefits to having a popular ecosystem...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Indeed.

Only WP7 is not by any definition a 'popular ecosystem'. You'd have to be drug-addled out of your mind or clinically insane to think that WP7 is in any way 'popular'.
As compared to what? Just curious.

As far as ecosystems go, what's the full scope of the Nokia, formerly OVI ecosystem now? Comes with Music? N-Gage? E-mail by Yahoo? Videos by whom?

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Now I know how the burning platform caught on fire. Someone lit a match near a n9 with a fart app to see if...... Now thats disruptive!

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Now I know how the burning platform caught on fire. Someone lit a match near a n9 with a fart app to see if...... Now thats disruptive!
Don't worry about it. The gorilla glass will survive it!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
As compared to what? Just curious.

As far as ecosystems go, what's the full scope of the Nokia, formerly OVI ecosystem now? Comes with Music? N-Gage? E-mail by Yahoo? Videos by whom?
Linux by Linus Torvalds

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by uppercase View Post
Linux by Linus Torvalds
That's a kernel. I think you didn't quite follow what I was referring to. Not at all.

Linux is not an ecosystem. Those are built around the device to provide a service that people can purchase, rent, play, gather, share, and ultimately peruse and enjoy on a device - be it desktop or handheld.

Linux could be the basis for an ecosystem, the content is next. Without content, you have an operating system, some commands, perhaps some functionality - as viewed by the consumer, not developer.

And to finalize my commentary, an ecosystem shifts the power of a product from the operating system to what can be enjoyed upon that operating system. A browser that can only see half the web will lose to one that can see more. A gadget that cannot play movies without it being manipulated, converted or altered via software easily will lose out to one that has the video already in place, formatted for that device, thus lessening the work by the consumer. And a kernel, that sits there and does nothing will lose out to one that can do more.

So by stating that Linux is the ecosystem, you're talking only about one piece of the puzzle that Nokia needs to answer. If you see it differently, then that's perhaps why the competition is taking away Nokia's share for the last 4 years.

For you tl;dr types, what ecosystem exists? Ovi is incomplete, buggy, but expanding. But in what areas? And stating "Linux is the answer" is not an answer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: