Active Topics

try rebooting since first boot is slow as hell while it indexes

I did ~ 10 reboots, anyway it is sloooooow.

Didn't try this release but the san francisco one was pretty fast, tried it on class 10 sd.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Can people who think it's fast give the brand and version of their sd card? Because apparently not all sd card are equal (especially random read/write), so it would be interesting to see if the experience is better on some.

Its a shame due to this new arena of instant response, and its hard to actually put into words through internet what you have seen/done etc.
The enourmous hours of work put into the N900 CE Meego OS is pretty admirable.
But I have to say, in my line of work I would have been got rid off already.

Why is it taking so long or, as I suspect, its not anywhere near a productive reality. Is it just a training ground for future good guys to step up like designing cars for shows that never make production?

What a waste of this space if thats the case as I feel people have invested in this emotionally to work, why not come clean like said car makers?

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Can people who think it's fast give the brand and version of their sd card? Because apparently not all sd card are equal (especially random read/write), so it would be interesting to see if the experience is better on some.
Kingmax 16gb class 10 here.

Posts: 536 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Russia
is there a way to import music? i have music in emmc and meego is not reading it. and how to import contacts?

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by RogueElement View Post
Its a shame due to this new arena of instant response, and its hard to actually put into words through internet what you have seen/done etc.
The enourmous hours of work put into the N900 CE Meego OS is pretty admirable.
But I have to say, in my line of work I would have been got rid off already.

Why is it taking so long or, as I suspect, its not anywhere near a productive reality. Is it just a training ground for future good guys to step up like designing cars for shows that never make production?

What a waste of this space if thats the case as I feel people have invested in this emotionally to work, why not come clean like said car makers?
I'm not really sure of what you're expecting? Some people say that the linux desktop isn't ready yet but I've been using it just fine since 1998. CE is improving and on the N9/N950 it'll run a tad better as you don't need to use external sd card. Also, there are some work started on improving the UX a lot:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3081

It's not ready yet but it's based on the tablet UX so I don't think it'll take that long to make it work (no guarantees though in open source). When I get the N950 I'll definitely primarily run the CE as it's 100% open. The swipe UX is solely developed by Nokia so it's a no go for community devs.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
I'm not really sure of what you're expecting? Some people say that the linux desktop isn't ready yet but I've been using it just fine since 1998. CE is improving and on the N9/N950 it'll run a tad better as you don't need to use external sd card. Also, there are some work started on improving the UX a lot:
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3081

It's not ready yet but it's based on the tablet UX so I don't think it'll take that long to make it work (no guarantees though in open source). When I get the N950 I'll definitely primarily run the CE as it's 100% open. The swipe UX is solely developed by Nokia so it's a no go for community devs.
I run it from the emmc, and it is slow there as well. The UI is fluent, but sloow, far from being snappy, and the apps take ages to load - if they load. Let's just bust the myth that it will run faster on the emmc, it's not like anything I would call fast.

The other myth is that it will eventually be usable. It will be usable for a small percentage of geeks using it as a dev platform. And really that is the main issue. It's like desktop Linux, lots of people use it everyday, but what do they use it for? If it's for developing, checking email and browsing the web, no problem. The problems start once you want to connect and update your favourite GPS gadget, update your sisters Samsung and so on.

MeeGo on the N900 is a by geeks - for geeks kind of thing. It will never become anything else. It's nothing wrong with that.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I run it from the emmc, and it is slow there as well. The UI is fluent, but sloow, far from being snappy, and the apps take ages to load - if they load. Let's just bust the myth that it will run faster on the emmc, it's not like anything I would call fast.

The other myth is that it will eventually be usable. It will be usable for a small percentage of geeks using it as a dev platform. And really that is the main issue. It's like desktop Linux, lots of people use it everyday, but what do they use it for? If it's for developing, checking email and browsing the web, no problem. The problems start once you want to connect and update your favourite GPS gadget, update your sisters Samsung and so on.

MeeGo on the N900 is a by geeks - for geeks kind of thing. It will never become anything else. It's nothing wrong with that.
Do you know about the no swap bug for the emmc install?
The regular install on sd card uses the emmc swap from maemo, but when you write this to the emmc, it overwrites the whole drive including the swap. Ergo no swap.
Use the Rescue initrd and gparted to create a swap partition or create a swap file in the rootfs and enable it. Things run a lot better then.