With the current Staples $100 off tablets coupon, I couldn't help buy buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I confirmed bluetooth PAN tethering to the n900 worked for the Tab right out of the box. I also tested tethering it to the N900 with a Xoom tethering to it concurrently (the Xoom was running Honeycomb 3.2 while the Tab was running Honeycomb 3.1). Everything worked great albeit a little slow from the shared bandwidth, but for $10/month for unlimited 3g tethering on-the-go, I'm not complaining. (See 9000's bluetooth-PAN tethering thread for more info on how to setup tethering if you are interested.)

Seriously, you gotta love the n900--it's just such a great multi-purpose device! I like that I can just compliment it with something bigger and more powerful when I feel the need to, but I can also just bring it alone when I want to stay light. Sure, it can't necessarily run the latest games or give me the best reading experience, but it'll entertain me in a pinch and give me access to info I need.

Though I'm always keeping my eyes open for the next best thing I might want to replace the n900 with, honestly, I'm still completely happy with it. It was a great buy. Anyone else feel the same way?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jschan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Dude, most of us do!
Btw, have you tried FBReader to improve your reading experience. I am quite sure it's pretty cool!

The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Just wished the N900 could've been refined further.
Changes such as a slimmer profile but larger (>4.0") size, more (1GB) RAM, HDMI-out/USB-HOST out of the box, and perhaps a capacitive screen (and a-digitizer for any diehards).

It would've been competitive to the likes of SGSII's and Droid3's.

Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Dude, most of us do!
Btw, have you tried FBReader to improve your reading experience. I am quite sure it's pretty cool!
Yeah, it just seems like every 3rd thread is about someone pissed because Nokia isn't promising on a generally available follow up to the n900 and leaving the community now because of it. Personally, I love this community and how active it remains. The tablet forums I visit aren't nearly as active...

In regards to FBReader, I have it installed (and have had it for a while). It's a great little reader to have around for when I want to read for a short period (exactly what I expect out of the n900). However, for extended reading, I like to switch to a tablet or dedicated eink reader. It's all about the form factor though I wouldn't mind the convergence of tablets and e-ink readers sooner than later.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Just wished the N900 could've been refined further.
Changes such as a slimmer profile but larger (>4.0") size, more (1GB) RAM, HDMI-out/USB-HOST out of the box, and perhaps a capacitive screen (and a-digitizer for any diehards).

It would've been competitive to the likes of SGSII's and Droid3's.
Ditto, but at the same time, what the n900 is right now (to me) is enough to last quite a while without upgrading. As nice as those features are, they seem like small stepping stones. I don't mind waiting out the market for a while with the n900 until we get to the next revolutionary device (akin to the n900 over the n95).

The Following User Says Thank You to jschan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Monterrey Mexico
Originally Posted by jschan View Post
I don't mind waiting out the market for a while with the n900 until we get to the next revolutionary device (akin to the n900 over the n95).
Amen , brother...
This is what i'm doing also.

Agreed.

Best phone I've ever used. So configurable. I'm just so glad Nokia made a device like this in the first place.

Currently thinking about buying another just to stash away should anything bad happen to my current one.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
I agree. There are better phones, better e-readers, better whatever... But nothing comes close to the N900 as an all rounder. A lot of that has to do with the people in maemo.org!

The Following User Says Thank You to joelsk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
With the current Staples $100 off tablets coupon, I couldn't help buy buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I confirmed bluetooth PAN tethering to the n900 worked for the Tab right out of the box. I also tested tethering it to the N900 with a Xoom tethering to it concurrently (the Xoom was running Honeycomb 3.2 while the Tab was running Honeycomb 3.1). Everything worked great albeit a little slow from the shared bandwidth, but for $10/month for unlimited 3g tethering on-the-go, I'm not complaining. (See 9000's bluetooth-PAN tethering thread for more info on how to setup tethering if you are interested.)

Seriously, you gotta love the n900--it's just such a great multi-purpose device! I like that I can just compliment it with something bigger and more powerful when I feel the need to, but I can also just bring it alone when I want to stay light. Sure, it can't necessarily run the latest games or give me the best reading experience, but it'll entertain me in a pinch and give me access to info I need.

Though I'm always keeping my eyes open for the next best thing I might want to replace the n900 with, honestly, I'm still completely happy with it. It was a great buy. Anyone else feel the same way?
1000% agreed !!!!!!!!!!!

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
With the current Staples $100 off tablets coupon, I couldn't help buy buy a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I confirmed bluetooth PAN tethering to the n900 worked for the Tab right out of the box.
Huh? Sorry, but how did you achieve THAT? I gave the GT back this week (ok it's still lying just some desk farther away from mine) and that's something i could not solve, neither tethering via BT nor wia MobileHotspot.

My N900 stated that the coupled device supports OPP profile and obviously nothing else, whereas the Tab's opinion was that the N900 could be used for sharing Internet connection.

What model do you have? The P7500 (3G+WiFi) or the P7510 (Limited Edition, WiFi only)? I tried with the latter, and also other people posting on the 'net could not solve it...

I felt that the screen is sometimes unresponsive (selecting / closing tabs in the browser, and opening abbreviated Slashdot comments) and showing some inaccuracy: no you won't be able to hit that 3 pixel wide checkbox as in the N900's MicroB browser on an capacitive screen, it seems... Android version 3.1? -> my *****, even the Task Manager on the Tab is awful. For $499 /500-600€ it's a toy. Good for reading while lying on the bed or something like this, the GMaps support is ok and to be honest i like the battery endurance (coming from the N900 seems obvious), but not more than that.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-07-28 at 11:29.