Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 855 | Thanked: 612 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
I have played with the generationally's script and have decided to get my weather forecast up there, using the same command that QBW uses to get your Yahoo Forecast.
In the attachment you can see what i have come up with so far.
So basicly there is just one script (weather.sh) which takes care of all. Remeber if you are using "weather.sh" for the first time. you will have to reboot after it.
All you have to do is:
1) Install imagemagick from extras.
2) Remove the text "Swipe to unlock" with help of this thread.
3) After installing imagemagick, the folder "/home/user/imagemagick" should appear, if not create it.
4) Place everything,that contains this archived folder in /home/user/imagemagick/ folder.
5) Edit in the script the 4nd line. Change
Code:
http://weather.yahoo.com/germany/rhineland-palatinate/kirchheimbolanden-12835433/?unit=c
to your yahoo forecast page. You can also choose on this page between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
6) Then run following commands in Terminal:
Code:
root
chmod 777 /home/user/imagemagick/*
7) Now you can run this script by executing:
Code:
 sh /home/user/imagemagick/weather.sh
even without root privileges.

If you want to make this script run automatically, install Alarmed. Make a "New event">"Command execution">Select frequency of how often do you want to update it>Enter Name> in the command field put this:
Code:
sh /home/user/imagemagick/weather.sh
REMEMBER that you need an internet connection for "weather.sh". The first run of this script must be followed by a reboot, in order to load the new slider.

You can play with colors and fonts. If you look into the script, you will find what and how to change. It's very easy. There is also a folder with some free fonts, so feel free to use them.

The background changes, depending on the current temperature. If it is below zero, it chooses "winter.png" as background. If it is above zero it chooses "summer.png" and if it IS ZERO, it chooses "background.png" as a background image.

No backup more, if you want to reset everything back to normal, just choose another theme from desktop, and then again the theme you want. Everything will be back after a restart.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alfred; 2011-04-28 at 19:43. Reason: Update

The Following 67 Users Say Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Russia
Hey Fred, pretty good script, as i understood, all png's takes from Yahoo servers?

There are a few png files there, but only clouds/rain/sun or whatever is taken from yahoo server. The rest, such as Temp is made by imagemagick from the text from Yahoo server.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
well when the lock screen wont have the slider to unlock then how will it unlock ?

Haha,
Dude it is still there, You just don't see it, I forgot to put it in the instruction. I'll attach some transparent file, and explain everything. I am actually also thinking of making the slider look like cloud/image from the server. or even smth cooler.
I'll update the script tonight

Last edited by Alfred; 2011-04-27 at 10:47.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alfred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Haha,
Dude it is still there, You just don't see it, I forgot to put it in the instruction. I'll attach some transparent file, and explain everything. I am actually also thinking of making the slider look like cloud/image from the server. or even smth cooler.
I'll update the script tonight
it will help the noobs

Yes, i am also NOT adding the backuping code into the script.
EDIT: NO backup more, if you want to reset everything back to normal, just choose another theme from desktop, and then again the theme you want. Everything will be back after a restart.

Last edited by Alfred; 2011-04-28 at 18:03.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Beirut, Lebanon
[Question] anyone able to make a script or application to automate the whole process, and now since all the repos are down, i can't install any of the pre-requisites ...

The Following User Says Thank You to rjneid For This Useful Post:
I beleive there are mirrors in the web.
What do you mean by automating the whole process?
I think i already did that, although i am improving the script a bit.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Beirut, Lebanon
there are i'll try them in a while ....