Posts: 122 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Latvia, Ireland
I have 2gb MicroSD memmory card for my n900! I bought it just becouse my usb port is broken, and all I want is to put all the pictures music and videos on my MicroSD card is that possible .. If it is could u tell me how to do it ..
Thanks guys!!

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
U can move the file from the EMMC to the memory card from the default file manager...Click the drop down in the file manager...

The Following User Says Thank You to funkmunk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
U can move the file from the EMMC to the memory card from the default file manager...Click the drop down in the file manager...
Thank you ! But could u tell me step by step what shud I do . Im noob in these things. Do I have to download this app (emmc) ?

Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
No EMMC is ur internal memory...Open the File Manager & next to its name u will see a arrow head. Click on that and it will show u the option to move. Then just select the files & click move & ur done...!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to funkmunk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ lisbon, portugal
Assuming that you have all your pictures somewhere inside MyDocs...
open Xterm (ctrl+alt+x) and execute:
cd /home/user/MyDocs/
find . -name "*.jpg" -print -exec cp -R {} /media/mmc1 \;

videos:
find . -name "*.mp4" -print -exec cp -R {} /media/mmc1 \;

substitute "*.mp4" and "*.jpg" for other filetypes

EDIT: You can also connect via bluetooth and browse your phone mem via windows explorer

Last edited by trlopes1974; 2011-07-29 at 22:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trlopes1974 For This Useful Post:
LOL !! best explanation ever !! Sorry can't understand ya !!!
Cud u tell me that again step by step

Originally Posted by n0ak View Post
LOL !! best explanation ever !! Sorry can't understand ya !!!
Cud u tell me that again step by step
Press the shift, control and X keys at the same tiume. This launches the XConsole, which is basically a program that allows you to type in commands.

Type (or copy and paste):
Code:
cd /home/user/MyDocs/
and press enter. This tells the console to move to the directory in which your photos etc are likely to be stored.

Type (or copy and paste):
Code:
find . -name "*.jpg" -print -exec cp -R {} /media/mmc1 \;
and press enter. This looks for jpg files 9picutes) and copies them to the memory card. (Probably; the syntax is unfamiliar to me, but it looks plausible and certainly won't do anything harmful).

The other option is to launch File Manager, which is built in. Play with it a bit; it should be fairly obvious how to use it...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
The `find' syntax is relatively easy to understand once you are familiar with it.
find . means find anything that is in PWD (Present Working Directory) and usually recursively. Whatever outputs it find will be outputted via standard output (stdout) with full path to the file for instance: /home/user/MyDocs/DCIM/test.jpg
-name means to search based on the filename. In the cases above for example with "*.jpg" and *.mp4", *.jpg means any file matching the extension jpg. However many windows users tend to have filenames such as: holiday on the beach.jpg, linux behaves much like UNIX in this case and would parse each space as a new line. Simply put it would then become:
holiday
on
the
beach.jpg. This output usually would prevent other UNIX-like tools from being able to copy the file because it does not exist. To enclose it in quotations like " for instance prevents such cases from above happening. One way to alleviate that is to replace spaces with underscore _ markings.
-exec means to execute a program of user's choice, in which this case it is to copy. -R is recursively.
{} are whatever the output find prints out to stdout is handled by -exec which is cp -R.
\; are to exit any escaping control characters, without it, find will wait for the user to exit it by hand should there be any escaping control characters.

An example with that command above, say for example you have: beach 1.jpg, beach 2.jpg, beach 3.jpg residing in: /home/user/MyDocs/pictures. That command will basically copy: /home/user/MyDocs/pictures/beach 1.jpg, /home/user/MyDocs/pictures/beach 2.jpg and /home/user/MyDocs/pictures/beach 3.jpg into /media/mmc1.

The file manager way is the way I would not personally use especially if you have lots and lots of files you want to reallocate for instance. Sure, you can do it by hand which will take you lots of time or you can simply learn to use linux CLI and enjoy having the nifty powerful command line tools do all the work for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
u aint kiddin when you said you're a noob..

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ lisbon, portugal
just use the bluetooth option and ujse your windows explorer to navigate n900 memory... I think,in your case, it will be safer.

The Following User Says Thank You to trlopes1974 For This Useful Post: