Active Topics

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Utah, America
I hate that.

Several days ago i was watching C-span and i seen Chuck (gun grabbing) Schumer saying "Leader" instead of saying "The leader" he was refering to the house leader & it was obvious he tried to avoid to say "The Leader" but couldnt help it and said "the leader" and he corrected himself by immediately said "Leader.

And unless you were educated in Britain,aussie land i dont see why you would talk like that.

Here is an example of the language in action:

"Me friend broke his arm at Gym and i took him to hospital"

Doesnt that sound like a robotic non-human way of communicating.

This is very important. What is the estimated time for you to add this feature to the N900's kernel?

(pm me if you need help coding)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Right.... Why don't people learn proper English at The school.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
What Hell?? Why are you axing this question??
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yeah, they should also pronounce 'tomato' 'tomato'.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
English is ever evolving, but the clue is in the name! That should tell you which is 'more correct' :-)
But every time I hear an American say 'math' instead of the correct 'maths' I want to put them across my knee and give them a jolly good spanking. (well some of them anyway).

Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
English is ever evolving, but the clue is in the name! That should tell you which is 'more correct' :-)
But every time I hear an American say 'math' instead of the correct 'maths' I want to put them across my knee and give them a jolly good spanking. (well some of them anyway).
Dammit, man! Speak English! I can't understand your foreign British language!

(No joke--I actually heard someone in Louisiana genuinely say that to a Brit that was visiting... oh my God, I laughed.)
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
@danramos... That's funny!

I once had a cashier (teller?) in Gettysburg tell me "I love your English accent so much, you sound like James Bond... you know, Sean Connery"..

(The SCOTTISH actor who famously plays ever part with a scottish accent...even a Russian sub commander)

:-)

shittttt, gotto go to work.......late....

Last edited by Dancairo; 2011-08-23 at 08:53.

Originally Posted by Dancairo View Post
@danramos... That's funny!

I once had a cashier (teller?) in Gettysburg tell me "I love your English accent so much, you sound like James Bond... you know, Sean Connery"..

(The SCOTTISH actor who famously plays ever part with a scottish accent...even a Russian sub commander)

:-)

shittttt, gotto go to work.......late....
I couldn't help laughing AND clapping at the same time. That's hilarious! Personally, I'm American but I also listen to so much Canadian (CBC mainly) and British (mostly the Today program on Radio 4) that it's clear to me that these differences are all valid within their own territories and provide "local color" to their regional English forms--and they tend to have a history behind them as well. I, for one, "feel" like American English is correct but I recognize that it's because I grew up in a country where the English was intentionally evolved independently from its origin. Only an idiot that doesn't understand their history would insist that that British are speaking incorrect English. Now--Canadians, on the other hand... seriously! A-boot??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-XbZL7Lns

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by maniacattack View Post
"Me friend broke his arm at Gym and i took him to hospital"

Doesnt that sound like a robotic non-human way of communicating.
I'd never say it that way, and can't remember anyone talking like that, but I know sometimes the "the" can be shortened to a "t" when spoken.
So it might have been "Me friend broke his arm at (t') Gym and I took him to (t') hospital"
Maybe that's what you've (mis)heard (due to difficulties with understanding accents)?
This is also why you might come across term "t'internet".

Tags
hanglish, local colour