Active Topics

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
ROTFL! U have to be kidding? You have in several threads whined about Nokia not releasing all sourcecode for N900 no you pricing an closed crap plaform from MicroNokia wtf!?
Maybe there are two persons/minds: ABILL and UK. One talks differently than the other. Schizophrenic?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
http://n9-apps.com

Hmm.
Quote:

Thanks for the kind words, support is always welcome! Also sorry for the late response, we had some issues with our email setup. The initial reaction on the site has been very positive although we haven't really pushed it except for couple of tweets. We haven't yet posted it on any forum, but there will probably be some discussion on maemo.org later on. MyNokiaBlog will also post some info on it in couple of days, probably tomorrow.

As for the service, we just aim to create a great website where developers can promote their apps, and for users, it would be really easy to find the most popular or trending apps. We started the initiative because we are really excited about the N9 and just wanted to have a great place where all the apps get to be on the spotlight that they deserve. We would also like to help developers in their promotion effort and hopefully even motivate the developers some more. In short, the service aims to be beneficial for both users and developers. In detail, we would be allowing all kinds of sources for the apps, we won't host or sell them, just make them more discoverable.

Cheers,
Mikael from N9 Apps

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Is there any information about the languages included in N9?

We know that Nokia have configured their products according to geographical zones. In Europe or Middle-/Southeurope it is standard that included among others the German, Italian and English languages.

http://www.digitec.ch/?param=toppreise&wert=219894

In the above postet Swiss online shop is mentioned that the French and Italian language will be avaiable separately and with extra fee, but I couldn’t find this product (additional languages) in any place on their shop. This suggests that the German language will be included, because in Switzerland they speak german, french and italien.

This is something I've never heard of a Nokia smartphone and may not be possible. N900 has included, for example, a lot of languages and the same for Symbian devices.

Here on the forum I also read that installing an additional language in N9, in contrast to N900, would be very difficult or even impossible, so this will probably not be a solution.

Because I need mainly Italian, I would like to know if anyone has any information about the included languages in Europe.

Thanks to everybody will anser my question.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I’m trying to give my best.

Originally Posted by delmar View Post
Is there any information about the languages included in N9?

We know that Nokia have configured their products according to geographical zones. In Europe or Middle-/Southeurope it is standard that included among others the German, Italian and English languages.

http://www.digitec.ch/?param=toppreise&wert=219894

In the above postet Swiss online shop is mentioned that the French and Italian language will be avaiable separately and with extra fee, but I couldn’t find this product (additional languages) in any place on their shop. This suggests that the German language will be included, because in Switzerland they speak german, french and italien.

This is something I've never heard of a Nokia smartphone and may not be possible. N900 has included, for example, a lot of languages and the same for Symbian devices.

Here on the forum I also read that installing an additional language in N9, in contrast to N900, would be very difficult or even impossible, so this will probably not be a solution.

Because I need mainly Italian, I would like to know if anyone has any information about the included languages in Europe.

Thanks to everybody will anser my question.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English, I’m trying to give my best.
Charging extra for languages is tantamount to a restaurant selling you a drink and then charging you for the ice. This would never happen, and I'm quite certain that retailer is mistaken in regards to language support. I highly doubt that this is cause for concern.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
Meanwhile the world is going crazy
There's a thread for that. (TM)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's absolutely irrelevant to the conversation.
So what was the sentence "No, too difficult to find someone whose setup were accidently & briefly compatible." about? (genuine question)

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by selfish_russian View Post
Meanwhile the world is going crazy
Faaaaaaark!!!!!!!
Intel if this is true, you just give us the big middle finger.
You arseholes....

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Weird revelation... we're bemoaning the lack of information pertaining the Nokia N9, we dislike the WP7 strategy, we wholly dislike Elop.

Yet Nokia's stock price is actually rising, Anna is out, Belle is looming and looking rather well. The Nokia 700 seems to be the next Nokia 5800 in terms of sales figures and expectations, and ultimately Nokia isn't failing as bad as we hope/like/thought/whatever.

Not saying that losing 20%+ share is a good thing... but it seems that we're all wanting and betting on a horse (Nokia N9) that we all want to win... but we're in the serious minority it seems.

Perhaps this is why we're being relegated to no definite days for the Nokia N9. Face it, Maemo isn't a real seller. It sold, but hell, the 5800 sold way more. Maemo is a community of geeks that they just don't think will buy into the N9 in record numbers - be honest, we won't buy the N9 because of Aegis security, because it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, because it doesn't look as cool as the Nokia N900 or because we're smart enough to figure out that it may be the end of the line (something a regular consumer wouldn't care about mostly), because we can't find it, or insert whatever reason you have - diehards are excluded.

The more I look at things from this direction, I see why Nokia is pulling the plug on this community. We don't matter.

I see why they kept starting/stopping/restarting the Maemo devices, OS et al. Because they could because no matter what they do, we'd complain. We'd say we were up to the task to make better... but so far, even that's never happened.

Things like the CSSU, et al... they're great things. But once new devices were given out, silence from most of those blokes. They jumped ship to Meego.com without a notice given for the most part. We're stuck with vocal trolls, geeks with hidden goals and more iPhone/Android/WP7 talk then desire for whatever Nokia will come up with next.

I think if more people bought the N900, perhaps they'd pay attention. But as it stands, what do they stand to lose? 100k customers? Quite a few shades less than million customers? About 10k forum cruisers? They're targeting the next billion.

Just thinking outside the box. Disagree or agree... I'm at least trying to figure out why nothing has been said so far in terms of definite dates, advertising or much of anything.

At least they showed it once. Thanks Nokia for that. I enjoy that bone you threw us.
Well, beside the fact that most people on this forum are interested by the N9 because of Maemo/Meego and/or Qt, there are quite a lot of reasons why this handset will be especially interesting for the end users.

Some of them are completely unrelated to the technology used behind, other ones are at least indirectly related:
- The hardware itself is probably the most interesting aspect of the N9 and the first thing the users will notice. It is nice, sexy and innovative. Sure, the CPU speed is not impressive but the design is great. Especially great.
- Of course, it is the software which makes the difference with the competitors, including WP devices. That's why Apple has been having great success so far, despites the concurrence of the other giants (Samsung, HTC and co...). In that area, the Swipe UX is just great. It is innovative, efficient, fast and pleasant to use.

The combination of the great look of the N9 and the new Swipe UX makes the N9 special and a good candidate to at least tickle the Iphone. The N9 owners will just love it!

So if gerbick is probably right as for as the Maemo/Meego community is concerned, the N9 also makes a lot of sense for the millions of potential users which do not care about the open source aspect of the phone. It *can* have a great success. Or it would have had, if...

But is is also the OS itself which makes it possible. The Meego project is known for having been developed too slowly, but it is good enough for Nokia to use it for experiments. Why? Because it is a great platform and the ideal one to reach impressive results in a short time (e.g. Multitasking, responsive UI, nice animations, Webkit, ...).

The reason why the N9 could be (or most probably: could have been) a great success is that it has the perfect combination between a great hardware, a great UX and a great platform.

Now Nokia made another choice but still takes the benefit of "experimenting" with Meego and Swipe. I have very great doubts that the Microsoft deal really makes sense for Nokia (but probably makes a lot of sense for individual people!). The next step is to observe how the N9 will be sold. I am pretty sure that all the N9 owners will make their neighbours jealous and that it will be sold extremly well. The question is: will Nokia really listen to the users and really push the N9? Let's wait and see... Until now, Nokia seems to follow a marketing strategy which is *against* the N9... And that's more than strange.

Last edited by bwalter; 2011-09-02 at 09:14.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bwalter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bwalter View Post
So if gerbick is probably right as for as the Maemo/Meego community is concerned, the N9 also makes a lot of sense for the millions of potential users which do not care about the open source aspect of the phone. It *can* have a great success. Or it would have had, if...
Problem is that the mass doesn't know that N9 is existing and/or will not be able to get it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 188 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post
Charging extra for languages is tantamount to a restaurant selling you a drink and then charging you for the ice. This would never happen, and I'm quite certain that retailer is mistaken in regards to language support. I highly doubt that this is cause for concern.
Really?? Office 2010 language packs around 40 usd (danish price) Here

The Following User Says Thank You to bequezox For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????