Notices

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
Originally Posted by sarfa1 View Post
press enter and not tab and dpkg will open
i told you already there nothing in dpkg....
only 5 weird symbol appears...that show its un-editable or copy...

a reflash is the best option

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
What are you expecting??? A miracle to happen?
You removed THE most integral part of any package management in a Debian based Linux. There is no way back from here... and you are asking to open a compiled binary with an gui editor to try to copy and paste???

I had to read this for a couple of times to actually believe my eyes!

Go flash your device healthy again...
and then stay away from rootsh! You are incapable to use root powers!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
It's a binary file. You can't copy and paste it from/to a text editor. This technique is guaranteed fail. Do you think if you deleted write.exe from a Windows installation you could use this same technique to replace it? (Try it, see what happens).
<simplification>The reason for this is that - to a text editor - binary files contain special system characters which cannot be displayed, copied or written.</simplification>

As others have said: Reflash your device. Don't delete things you don't understand.

Also, don't ask for the same thing five times, and don't ignore people trying to help you. Once is enough. If you already know better than everyone here, you don't need our help.

Good luck!

Last edited by shallimus; 2011-10-08 at 20:59.

does anyone knows how this error can be solved :/usr/bin/dpkg: line 1: syntax error: "(" unexpected if this does nt works then no option but to flash

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
No it cannot be solved and if you insist, you will be ignored by helpers which would leave you ultimately to solve everything yourself.

The only way is to reflash. NO IFs, NO BUTs. You deleted a critical binary file for package management which was completely your fault because you don't understand the difference between an .ipk file and a .deb file.

Whilst reflashing and re-setting up your device, you might want to take time and read how linux works properly before you do crazy stuff like deleting programs which had nothing to do with your issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
ok thanks everyone for ur co operation and help

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Wouldn't it have been possible for someone to copy the actual dpkg file from their N900, not the contents but the file itself, upload it somewhere for the guy to download and put back in the right place?

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-10-10 at 07:56.

Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
Wouldn't it have been possible for someone to copy the actual dpkg file from their N900, not the contents but the file itself, upload it somewhere for the guy to download and put back in the right place?
yeah i did the same downloaded the file from 4shared but the file was giving me some error which i showed in the above replies but now ive flashed my device and back to normal but very good for tat smart move

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Was that file from a N900 or from another type of machine?