Active Topics

Posts: 184 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Nizhny Novgorod
All I can tell is that we have a provisioning on the N9. Not all Exchange protocol security settings are supported, but, for example, you can wipe your device if it's connected to the Exchange server 2010

Only obstacle is we are running some kind of device management software called Afaria too...

I can not believe we are the first and it will probably become more and more normal to have such a layer of security. N9 is of course not on Afarias list of supported devices, and I just want to know if it can be configured manually or not.
I never tried to check it. So, this is mean a simple "don't know"

P.S. Looks like you forgot about weekend. I believe that we are all (or at least almost all) spent our free time away from PC. That's why there was no answer recently.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sergey_Kashin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Sergey_Kashin View Post
P.S. Looks like you forgot about weekend. I believe that we are all (or at least almost all) spent our free time away from PC. That's why there was no answer recently.
Hi Sergey,

I hope you're right! Thanks for the answer!

hey there.....i read that you guys are talking about outlook 2010 server.....

my company email still running 2003 server and though I do able to connect via mfe from my N9....but it seems like the email retrieval is too slow....

my setting....always up to date....with 24/7 wifi connection and no power saver option

btw...my gmail work like a charm....

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
Yeah gmail/mfe work fine for me as well. It is the 2010 Exchange Server that my brother is running that I can't connect to.
By any chance can we have a account on that server ? That would be a fast way to identify the problem, if that's possible please send me the credentials in private, preferably an account without any private or confidential data.

Posts: 184 | Thanked: 327 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Nizhny Novgorod
Originally Posted by arsaa View Post
my company email still running 2003 server and though I do able to connect via mfe from my N9....but it seems like the email retrieval is too slow....

my setting....always up to date....with 24/7 wifi connection and no power saver option
"The email retrieval is too slow" compared to what?
If it seems to slow there are might be two issues:
1) Your connection is not fast enough
2) In always up-to-date mode your exchange server sends us a command that there is a new message(s) after some delay.

P.S. MfE on N9 should work fine with exchange 2003 servers

Originally Posted by Sergey_Kashin View Post
"The email retrieval is too slow" compared to what?
If it seems to slow there are might be two issues:
1) Your connection is not fast enough
2) In always up-to-date mode your exchange server sends us a command that there is a new message(s) after some delay.

P.S. MfE on N9 should work fine with exchange 2003 servers
too slow compare to gmail client in n9..

it seems like the arrow down (transfer ongoing) symbol on top right of the screen is loading like forever to complete..

by the way..i test this by sending email to both exchange and gmail account..gmail received the email almost instantaneously in n9..same goes to my exchange client in my laptop..

i dont think there is any connection issue here

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Hi All,

If any of you are wondering about MDM (Mobile Device Management systems) for Nokia N9, here's what I found out:

- MDM definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_device_management
- Quote for the lazy from Wikipedia: "Mobile Device Management (MDM) software secures, monitors, manages and supports mobile devices deployed across mobile operators, service providers and enterprises. MDM functionality typically includes over-the-air distribution of applications, data and configuration settings for all types of mobile devices, including mobile phones, smartphones, tablet computers, ruggedized mobile computers, mobile printers, mobile POS devices, etc...Typically solutions include a server component, which sends out the management commands to the mobile devices, and a client component, which runs on the handset and receives and implements the management commands."

Central functionality includes: (Quote Wikipedia)
  • FOTA - Firmware over the air updates
  • Diagnostics
  • Remote Configuration and Provisioning
  • Security
  • Backup/Restore
  • Network Usage and Support
  • Server Deployment
  • Mobile Asset Tracking and Management
  • Remote Lock and Wipe
  • Device Provisioning
  • Software Installation
  • Troubleshooting and Diagnostic Tools
  • Policy Application
  • Logging and Reporting
  • Remote Control and Administration
  • GPS Tracking and 'Breadcrumb' Mapping

So basically what happens is this:

- MDM will be installed on your phone and on the company's server
- Before the phone connects to the MfE server, it will be verified (like a firewall) that it's running the MDM and that it has an account on the MfE server.
- MDM-developers have to develop a special client for each mobile-OS, and I DO NOT think there's any for MeeGo/N9 yet.
- In order for the MDM-developers to develop their client, MeeGo has to provide the right API's.

Where are we with the Nokia N9 on this?

So far, I got the answer (Yahoo!! :-)) from VDVsx that they haven't tested it, and that it might not work.

But I'm not prepared to give up yet - I've been waiting too long for the N9! The question I think is - Does N9 support MDM?: That includes:

- Does MeeGo/N9 have open API's that support MDM?
- Is the development team in contact with any MDM developers (and it doesn't have to be Afaria/Sybase, although those are the ones my company is using), and is there any chance anyone will supply an MDM client for Nokia N9?

Again - I'm NOT a developer - just a normal user fighting to get this phone. But its no fun if N9 cannot sync with MfE - and if N9 has this problem, I'm certainly not going to be the only one who will be dissapointedI So I think Nokia should give us an answer. Does the N9 support MDM? If not, will support MDM in a future update?

I hope my questions and comments above are an inspiration to some who knows more about this than me, and might want to add/clarify further?!

Last edited by MortenS; 2011-10-10 at 18:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to MortenS For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Which version of MS Exchange are you running in your environment?
I think it is 2010, or at least that what it says on owa.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Trondheim, Norway
Originally Posted by arsaa View Post
it seems like the arrow down (transfer ongoing) symbol on top right of the screen is loading like forever to complete..
I've also experienced this with instant update for exchange 2003.

The email-checking also ended up in some locked state, so it wasn't able to retrieve new messages from any of my email-accounts. Even after reboot this issue kept on. In frustration I deleted all accounts and added them again with polled checking for new email. Have been working fine after that.

Will look into retrieving logs if I get into this path again.

The Following User Says Thank You to jahaugum For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jahaugum View Post
I've also experienced this with instant update for exchange 2003.

The email-checking also ended up in some locked state, so it wasn't able to retrieve new messages from any of my email-accounts. Even after reboot this issue kept on. In frustration I deleted all accounts and added them again with polled checking for new email. Have been working fine after that.

Will look into retrieving logs if I get into this path again.
mind sharing your email setting? i might want to try it out..also im not really sure whats the allow non-provisional device is for..anybody could help explain please?

Tags
attachments, email, issues, mail exchange, nokia n9, nokia n950