Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
MartinK, this is a feature request:
Can u please add a location based alarm? ie, if we mark a point, when our position comes within, say 100m of that point, the alarm goes off.
This will be useful for people in trains or other public transport, where one may doze off and miss their destination. In this mode, the gps need to be polled only every minute or so.

What do you think? Is it possible?
I was going to ask this same feature last summer when I was using public transportation a lot and had to transfer between different buses on previous unknown (to me) locations. One should be able to set several POIs with alarm in advance. So prolly the most logical place to have it would be with POIs where one could select if the POI is an alarming type or not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
As the competition vote seems to be still blocked by technical difficulties, I'm reading for a new modRana update.

What will be in the new update ?
  • faster (2 click) map layer switching - done
  • online address and Wikipedia search + routing to the results - 90% done
  • options now can respect current mode - 75% done
    With this an option can have different values, depending on the current mode. So for example modRana can remember that in the "bike" mode, centering should be ON and OpenCycleMap should be used and in the "foot" mode centering should be OFF and OSM Mapnik used as the main map layer.
  • the height profile now properly uses imperial units on its Y-axis when in imperial units mode
  • GPSD support fixes (not really relevant for Maemo )
  • other improvement "under the hood" that are not that visible from the outside, but make modRana faster and make future development faster

NOTE: When the competition voting starts, please vote for the version that was entered to the competition (V0.28).

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-10-10 at 11:09.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
I think having a quick way to change between modes would be nice too. I now find myself switching between car and walk mode a lot (like everytime I start modRana, it is in the wrong mode )

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Thanks as usual MartinK. just wanted to say that I've used Modran a lot over the summer, for the first time actually relying fully on it (i.e. without a backupfolding map) to take me to a variety of rural/urban places by car & on foot while abroad.

With pre-download of the tiles around my routes (and with 25MB/day of mobile roaming data available to help when required), I have to say it performed impeccably and I found it incredibly useful. Even the wife (not known for her love of phone-based GPS's in general, or n900 geekery in particular!!) who was driving while I navigated, gave it a ringing endorsement.

It's nice to see a quality project develop over a couple of years from a promising start right through to an mature, reliable everyday tool - and one that is still being enhanced :-)) Keep up the good work.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Thanks for the update MartinK. I just fervently hope that the location-based alarming feature is in your to-do list.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by petur View Post
I think having a quick way to change between modes would be nice too. I now find myself switching between car and walk mode a lot (like everytime I start modRana, it is in the wrong mode )
What about a long press of the menu icon triggering the mode change menu ?

Update: done

Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
Thanks for the update MartinK. I just fervently hope that the location-based alarming feature is in your to-do list.
I'll look at it once the current update is out of the door.

BTW, progress update:
  • faster (2 click) map layer switching - done
  • online address and Wikipedia search + routing to the results + storing the results in the POI database - done
  • options now can respect current mode - 75% done
  • GPSD support fixes (not really relevant for Maemo ) - done

The update will be released once that options stuff is done.

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-10-17 at 10:25.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
@martink: for your info regarding GTFS, tho you may well have read this independently...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1109724

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Hi MartinK,

Just installed modRana for the first time: looks nice! Thanks.

When I dragging the maps around, they tiles load fine. When I try to batch download using the "download" option, they always fail.

Looking at the tcpdump, the successful http requests look like:

Code:
GET /tiles/cycle/12/2018/1360.png HTTP/1.1\r\n
where the unsuccessful ones look like:

Code:
GET http://andy.sandbox.cloudmade.com/tiles/cycle/12/2020/1364.png HTTP/1.1\r\n
I don't know why you'd include the full protocol and host name in the GET request and it looks like the web server is unhappy about it.

I'm not too hot with python but it looks like you're doing your own http requests - is this an easy fix?

Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
I don't know why you'd include the full protocol and host name in the GET request and it looks like the web server is unhappy about it.
Apologies, it looks like the crucial difference was not with the GET URL, but the fact that the "on-demand" tile downloads were single requests per connection (using "Connection: close" header) and the batch downloads used persistent connections.

The "andy.sandbox.cloudmade.com" server appears to barf on persistent connections.

The Following User Says Thank You to spanner For This Useful Post:
Hi MartinK,

I use ModRana quite a lot and I would like to check if you are planning any ability for ModRana to import a .kml file that can be downloaded from Google Maps as input for a set of POIs?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t1nym3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps