Active Topics

Originally Posted by ade View Post
What do you consider kernel? Kernel images from /boot and kernel libraries from /lib are backupped...
Then what is not going to backup?

I think that would be the best question.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Why did my device broke then when restoring a backup with other kernel? That's what I mean, if you switch kernel with backupmenu you have an unbootable device...

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
Then what is not going to backup?

I think that would be the best question.
In the link to the images you can draw your own conclusion: it offers two files (for optfs and rootfs)

Backup menu gives you the options to backup rootfs, optfs or both.

- optfs means all the files located in /opt.
- rootfs means all the files located in / (on partition ubi0:rootfs)

rootfs is the vital filesystem for booting the kernel and other nessecities.

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Why did my device broke then when restoring a backup with other kernel? That's what I mean, if you switch kernel with backupmenu you have an unbootable device...
It could be that you had some dependencies on /opt.

That is why it is advised to restore both / and /opt from a same backup. The /opt and / images in the link will correspond.

That's my thought anyway ...

p.s. I have done a pk48 rootfs restore on a pk49 installed N900. No problem.

Last edited by ade; 2012-01-08 at 15:55.

It could be that you had some dependencies on /opt.

That is why it is advised to restore both / and /opt from a same backup. The /opt and / images in the link will correspond.

That's my thought anyway ...

p.s. I have done a pk48 rootfs restore on a pk49 installed N900. No problem.
Another new thing!? What is the difference between these? pk48, and 49?

Would I really be safe if I backup/flash it ?

Originally Posted by Pondake View Post
Another new thing!? What is the difference between these? pk48, and 49?

Would I really be safe if I backup/flash it ?
pk=Power Kernel. Not interesting in this context, but just mentioned to demonstrate a restore can be done while using another kernel version.

Now what do you want to achieve? You currently have a proper functioning N900 as I understand (except from the USB) that you want to be able to restore without USB? Then start with installing the backup menu and make backups. It can always be usefull, if only to extract certain files from it. No guarantees everything will always work 100%, but a backup is a good starting point in case of trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
pk=Power Kernel. Not interesting in this context, but just mentioned to demonstrate a restore can be done while using another kernel version.

Now what do you want to achieve? You currently have a proper functioning N900 as I understand (except from the USB) that you want to be able to restore without USB? Then start with installing the backup menu and make backups. It can always be usefull, if only to extract certain files from it. No guarantees everything will always work 100%, but a backup is a good starting point in case of trouble.
I want to start clean, and install everything I need except everything I want. Start over with a clean rootfs except 1MB being free.

So making a backup now, and restore the backup which was provided on an earlier reply, will make the n900 unbrickable?

Oh and I was just being stupid, I knew what Power Kernel was as I'm using it, but just didn't knew that PK was Power Kernel.

Backupmenu doesn't backup kernel. Kernel image in /boot/ is totally different thing - actual kernel used sits in special part of NAND, that isn't possible to being written via dd or tar -x. That's why You need flasher (be it on-device, or flasher3.5), to flash kernel.

Anyway, person with broken USB port, can easily re-estabilish connection via test pins beneath battery. Search forum for howto. One remainder - there was a FUD, that testpins omits protection circuits, and connect to chip directly. It isn't true - the only part that is not present - compared to regular U$SB port - is common mode choke. This, if used with poorly shielded cable and enviroment with high interferences, may lead to problems in getting full USB 2.0 speed, but certainly won't ''blow up'' Your chip.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Backupmenu doesn't backup kernel. Kernel image in /boot/ is totally different thing - actual kernel used sits in special part of NAND, that isn't possible to being written via dd or tar -x. That's why You need flasher (be it on-device, or flasher3.5), to flash kernel.

Anyway, person with broken USB port, can easily re-estabilish connection via test pins beneath battery. Search forum for howto. One remainder - there was a FUD, that testpins omits protection circuits, and connect to chip directly. It isn't true - the only part that is not present - compared to regular U$SB port - is common mode choke. This, if used with poorly shielded cable and enviroment with high interferences, may lead to problems in getting full USB 2.0 speed, but certainly won't ''blow up'' Your chip.

/Estel
I'll definitely will look after this, thanks for your time Estel !

Originally Posted by Estel View Post

/Estel
Estel,
I am pretty sure in my multiboot configuration, /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10-power49 is my kernel image, just like /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.NIT.07 is my nitdroid kernel image. Remove it, and you can't start your system. Now you say it is a totally different thing. You may be right for a non-multiboot system (then it uses the fiasco image in my opinion), but not in my case.

Please elaborate on this if you can show me I am wrong.