Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
XMS is a push messaging system that only periodically sends and receives from the server
I thought "push" means server pushes data into the phone as soon as it has something. Phone connects to server when it sends something.

but the hassle of making your contacts to start new service and if they don't have compatible phone out of luck, why not make some like this that taps on im services to make it a push message?

Originally Posted by Arpa View Post
I thought "push" means server pushes data into the phone as soon as it has something. Phone connects to server when it sends something.
Technically yeah, but I was trying to simplify it :P

But in order for the phone to receive from the server, it must periodically check for the update flag the server sets when a new message is available

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Last edited by godofwar424; 2012-01-20 at 02:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Singapore
I have to thank XMS as I use it a lot to message with my wife. I missed the media functions that Whatsapp has but XMS has something that is more superior which is the web messaging function. I can send messages via XMS website to my wife's XMS client on her phone and the message i sent via the web also appears on my phone so i still keep the full conversation. So this is really very very useful.

however, i do think that XMS needs to be more efficient. I still find it too slow in starting up and navigating within the app feels laggy when there are to many messages...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tanwg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
I got a dupicate icon after install from store (I uninstalled previous one first), I cannot delete 1 of the XMS Icon, both icon run the ebuddy very well.

I checked there is no other desktop at the application folder, how to solve it?? many thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
but the hassle of making your contacts to start new service and if they don't have compatible phone out of luck, why not make some like this that taps on im services to make it a push message?
The other big diff. from traditional IM's is that it works based on your mobile no, not any handle etc.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by tanwg View Post
I missed the media functions that Whatsapp has
They have promised that's coming with the next major release.
No time-frame yet....

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Google Talk and Skype are both IM's - Instant Messaging Services

They will constantly stay connected to the server meaning as soon as a message is sent, it is received and so forth, this KILLS battery as there's ALWAYS data being used.

XMS is a push messaging system that only periodically sends and receives from the server, this means less wasted battery and the results is something that isn't as fast as traditional IM's but its benefits of reduced battery use far outweigh any downsides
Hi!
Thanks for explanation, I would not explain it better myself

Indeed, push messages prevent your battery from draining and, at the same time, allow you to get notifications on new messages.

Best regards,
Aleksandra

Originally Posted by tanwg View Post
I have to thank XMS as I use it a lot to message with my wife. I missed the media functions that Whatsapp has but XMS has something that is more superior which is the web messaging function. I can send messages via XMS website to my wife's XMS client on her phone and the message i sent via the web also appears on my phone so i still keep the full conversation. So this is really very very useful.

however, i do think that XMS needs to be more efficient. I still find it too slow in starting up and navigating within the app feels laggy when there are to many messages...
Hi!
Thanks for the feedback.

We're working on improving the app, so stay tuned

Best regards,
Aleksandra

Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
I got a dupicate icon after install from store (I uninstalled previous one first), I cannot delete 1 of the XMS Icon, both icon run the ebuddy very well.

I checked there is no other desktop at the application folder, how to solve it?? many thanks
Hi!

Thanks for writing.
We'll look into the issue and try to provide the solution asap.

Best regards,
Aleksandra

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aleksandra For This Useful Post: