Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
vi_,
i appreciate you're a big name among the community but using your mentioned two numerical measurements isnt that unfair when you're here for much longer than itsnotabigtruck or e-yes. after all, jalyst has a higher count in both but didn't self-nominate himself as he felt there were more deserving candidates.

i dont want to be disrespectful but could you enlighten me on how else can i find your contributions?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
No council member granted themself an award I can asure you, each submission were reviewed on equal terms.
Only a technicality. If you all agree to put each others' names on the shortlist, is that any different from putting your own names on the shortlist? No.

Besides, when it comes to conflict of interest, creating the appearance of one is as bad as the real thing. The very fact that the judges of the competition received awards in the competition is enough to establish that something isn't right.

As long as a single qualified candidate is denied an award in favor of a councilor, someone's been wronged - and in this competition, qualified candidates were repeatedly passed over so the judges could award themselves.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itsnotabigtruck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
This thread is frigging crazy, and it proves why we cannot have shiny things. Back when Karma was used as the threshold to receive or not a device, no one complained as loudly, despite karma being a much more lousy indicator of "contributions".

The winners list certainly has some rough points, but generally I am OK with it.
E.g., from _all_ the people on the candidates list, I only ever used software/contributions from qole, luke-jr and MAG, and from those only MAG has been selected.
Despite the fact that this is a "Fremantle-biased" council according to this thread, they have selected only the arguably most Harmattan-oriented candidate of those three ....

Subsidiarily, the community council has volunteered to give a lot of their free time to the community. And believe me, it is a frigging lot of time, I've been a councilor once. Plus this term they will have to engineer and start to execute the transition from Nokia-paid maemo.org to community-paid, a monumental task to say the least.
If this is not grounds for a community award then I don't know what is.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Finally you get it
There is no way any councelar can convince the (few) people firing here.
The same people would be flaming, yet with other arguments, if the council members did not get any awards.
But, perhaps you will just get lucky, and this thing will die with the community?
I for one will stick and fight for this to the end to keep what we have, hopefully more and better.
Wish the good people fighting here would spend their horses the same way.
Sorry but you've got me wrong. I do think there was a conflict of interest when the Council is the judge and contestant. qgill didn't give your'll a go ahead he just said to Estel to decide for himself...isn't that an indication he didn't seem to think it was right?

The reason the Council is being asked to be held accountable is due to members here thinking that with the exception of some recipents (SD69, MAG etc.) a number of recipents were undeserving compare to itsnotabigtruck and e-yes. The members feel that the Council should have made way for these two members if they couldn't resist the other candidates as after all these two are more deserving in the larger scheme of things.

In no way do I want to be disrespectful to anyone here. The feeling I've like some others here is that the Harmattan community was side-tracked for a lasting gift for some of the old boys. Not that we see the Harmattan community as being different from everyone else but that is the general impression we're getting from the Council's decision and follow-up responses.

Again, I repeat that I am raising my opinions...you may disagree after all thats life but I would like to hear your views on this...a healthy discussion is always beneficial for the community...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-06-23 at 17:47. Reason: some clarity

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
This thread is frigging crazy, and it proves why we cannot have shiny things. Back when Karma was used as the threshold to receive or not a device, no one complained as loudly, despite karma being a much more lousy indicator of "contributions".

The winners list certainly has some rough points, but generally I am OK with it.
E.g., from _all_ the people on the candidates list, I only ever used software/contributions from qole, luke-jr and MAG, and from those only MAG has been selected.
Despite the fact that this is a "Fremantle-biased" council according to this thread, they have selected only the arguably most Harmattan-oriented candidate of those three ....

Subsidiarily, the community council has volunteered to give a lot of their free time to the community. And believe me, it is a frigging lot of time, I've been a councilor once. Plus this term they will have to engineer and start to execute the transition from Nokia-paid maemo.org to community-paid, a monumental task to say the least.
If this is not grounds for a community award then I don't know what is.
Thanks Javispedro :-D
my 2 €cents: council needs a reference exemplar of each maemo hw anyway, as otherwise how T F are they supposed to know what they're supposed to talk about?

Now my notion about all this thread: It's definitely one of the most toxic things to community at large I've ever whitnessed. I'd happily see the whole friggin thread getting closed for good.

*PLONK*
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
javispedro,

i respect your views but dont you think that by giving all 4 council candidates the devices before they've done the ugly work that we presume will be required is fair to the two devs who deserve it for work they've already done and will continue for the community?

Edit: also doesn't this bring about the issue of conflict of interest? most people here are generally OK with the list but the two omissions due to Council taking all 4 devices they wanted is what has hurt.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-06-23 at 17:54.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Thanks Javispedro :-D
my 2 €cents council

*PLONK*
/j
HAHA that is funny hehehe we do need some fun on here somtimes so thankyou for that one .

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So what. It's a device. Go and buy one if you didn't get one!!

So tired of seeing this thread in active topics and no new arguments are presented! The council knows your point.

I vote for OFF TOPIC!

Plus, while we are at it. I want to see Texrat as President and dictator of TMO.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere

maybe they need it, cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
So tired of seeing this thread in active topics and no new arguments are presented! The council knows your point.
They know it, but they don't 'get' it. That's the problem. They are the ones responsible for this mess. Had they acted differently, we wouldn't be 'wasting' time on this. All I've seen is individual council members trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility by suggesting that it's down to the rest of us to ensure they don't act in an inappropriate manner ('you should have complained beforehand' etc). It's a cop-out.

My website

GitHub

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
award, community, council, device, outcry