Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Here's to hoping for a real successor to the N900!

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Well there are still manufacturing facilities outside Europe in free countries, and with the cost of manufacturing rising in a certain large east Asian empire why wouldn't modern largely automated manufacturing be financially feasible in various locations.

But I know what you mean and that's why it was merely a wish...

I do know, however, that before Nokia abandoned its soul for Elop's microsoftian self-immolation plan, part of the reason they were so popular around the world was the simple fact that they were from a respected neutral part of the world and that they used to put the customer first.

Jolla might be able to inherit some of that goodwill and build upon it.
Brazil has Apple, HP, Nokia, LG, Samsung, and (until recently) HTC factories, as far as I know.

So, if they want we could house their product facilities here.

I'm actually an Electronics Engineer (although never worked with anything close to smartphones), if I could help in any way, I would.

Good to see this. I hope they aren't the only company who picks up the standard after Nokia's implosion, since we probably need more than one to increase the odds of having a device like the N900 or N9 in my pocket.

Not on FB, but I will follow them on Twitter.

do nokia come up with patent or copyright issues to halt jolla?
is nokia behind this company?

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
I am going to hate them if it is not released in INDIA.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
I'm going to wish this endeavour a long and successful life of relative continuity!

Two other wishes: that they don't outsource the manufacturing of the designed devices to sweatshops in some distant dictatorship, and that they carefully choose hardware with open enough specifications so that the devices can be fully supported come hell or high water...
And how much are you willing to pay for that?

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Just hopes to a new, fast and beautiful device like n9.

Originally Posted by eccenux View Post
It's not just a transparent QUWERTY. It's 4 buttons which (with practice) you can hit blindly. Some letters are a bit strangle distributed (e.g. A to two dots, but R to close circle) but I guess you can get used to it with time.
Hm, ok, but that again sounds like something for occasional one-liner use. I can't see myself using such a thing for working on a document, writing an email, or command line work.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Jolla is interesting. I hope that we will get at least a polished geek toy.

Maybe a "consumer friendly geek toy" (with things like good camera, offline navigation, working Exchange implementation but still open enough to be hacked and tinkered with) is too much to hope for.

It would be interesting to know how much existing infrastructure they are planning to use. I mean things like Apps for Meego for distributing the applications or even TMO for community engagement.

I hope something good comes out of this.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla