Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
OK, the phone will be targeted to mass market and you can't stab the kernel or flash your own software. However, they intend to make a developer version available and in this dev version you can make these things. What does this mean in practise? Is the dev phone same as consumerphone with some sort of open mode or even a separate model? Who can purchase dev model?
I understand what is says in this and in another interview that there won't be separate hardware. The same hardware with consumer and developer OS/software versions. No idea how one will be able to obe with dev version.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Edited Tested something stupid

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2012-12-28 at 11:59.

Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Err... I dont know why but I have a strong feeling that Nokia is funding Jolla
I hope not.

Because I would like very much that this small upstart company could buy Nokia in the future, to show that it had the chicken that laid golden eggs and they not only killed the chicken, but threw away the eggs.

they said the standard phone isn't targeted at linux geeks, so am guessing it's do able, no matter what they do realistically, it's always do able, and if there staying true to being open i don't see why the boot loader should be locked, and yes drivers are closed source, but as long as they give us something to work with in the OS itself what's the problem? Then again were talking as if they've already abandoned the customers and moved on leaving them with ****, even though they haven't yet released a phone. wow nokia has made people cynical

Why don't they just make one phone and make it so that you can ENABLE a dev mode? That would make more sense to me.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Just a technical question: The fact that they're targeting China - could this mean there's a chance that the first bath of phones they'll produce won't operate on European/American 3G networks? Or are such issues a thing of the past?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Getting to retail in China is important for them to ensure batch sizes being in at least tens thousands mark (even 50 phones per each of 2000 D.Phone shops is already 100K phones). This is important step to reduce production costs. China retailing also reduces logistic issues as devices would most likely to be produced there as well.

So this is good strategy from short term perspective of getting fast to the market.

I'm sure at some point they will get through CE certification process in EU, probably faster than through FCC for U.S.

For those who were asking about Nokia funding them, I think Jussi made clear in his interviews that Nokia's involvement is only through Bridge programme which recently was detailed in this article: http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/10/nok...nokia-has-not/

Originally Posted by tushyd View Post
Why don't they just make one phone and make it so that you can ENABLE a dev mode? That would make more sense to me.
AFAIU that exactly what they are doing.

http://www.intomobile.com/2012/07/11...ext-available/

Also yet more info (in finnish)

http://www.taloussanomat.fi/yrittaja.../201233642/137

In short: "We've had prototype"

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
http://www.taloussanomat.fi/yrittaja.../201233642/137

Jolla-boss: "It is obvious that we've had a prototype"

The Finnish mobile phone manufacturer, that aims at least for Chinese markets, is already very far with negotiations with electronics contract manufacturers, says CEO.

- We have already reached an advanced stage, but we do not want to reveal the name of our partners. It is clear that we have had some kind of a prototype of the phone, President and CEO Jussi Jolla Hurmola says to Taloussanomat.

Mobile phone manufacturer Jolla (Nokia's former MeeGo employees) has not yet announced any phone. The company plans to introduce the first smart phone model this year. The company is not going to make their own smart phones, but will order them from an external contract manufacturer.

Jolla today announced a sales and distribution agreement of the Chinese mobile phone chain of stores with D.phonen.

According to Hurmola, contract agreement with D.phone was "first dealership, which was announced". He doesn't neither confirm or deny that if Jolla already has some other distribution agreements.

Operators Added?

Hurmola says that the Chinese partner to help bring the dinghy for the Chinese market a suitable phone. China's smartphone market is large and Finnish companies are understandably interested about them.

Market research firm Strategy Analytics estimated last November that China overtook the United States the world's largest smart phone market, while the meter is sold smartphones.

According to CEO Hurmolan Jolla is also negotiating to get a phone operator in China tying. The negotiations, however, does not have any more to tell.

D.phonen Jolla and the joint release of D.phone is China Unicom, China Telecom and China Mobile-phone operators' strategic partner.

He who has bargained sales and distribution agreements in Finland. Consultations have been held for operators and retailers.

Last edited by jamqpa; 2012-07-16 at 16:08.

http://www.ossimantylahti.com/2012/0...ging-director/

- The phone will be a smart phone for mass market. It will not be a tech phone intended for Linux hackers. Consumers are not able to hack kernel or flash new software for the device.
I don't like such notion that consumers are treated like dummies who can't flash OS image on the device. It should not be as hard as hacking the kernel. Especially if it's something written on the sdcard and etc.

At least they are still planning to allow something like that I hope:

- We are however planning on creating a development version of the phone for open source community, those interested in Linux and open systems and for partners.
Somewhat confusing though. Before he said there will be one device with open (developer) and regular mode. Now it sounds like there will be two devices.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla