Active Topics

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
I remember orhn saying that the native keyboard had been left in by mistake and an update was coming to fix that, so I was fully expecting it to disappear when I hit "update" to 12.0.0.6. However, finally being able to choose Opera as the default browser without hacks is MEGA!!!

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
@ohrn could Opera make life better by re-instating the different UA settings...why make it so difficult?
The UA-string was incorrect due to code inherited from the Opera Mobile Emulator for desktop PCs. We removed it and the UA setting now behaves as on Android and S60 phones.

/ohrn

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohrn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by quailstorm View Post
I don't think that the N900 will receive this update, I tried installing the linked .deb, but dependency errors were occured. Itried to install these debian6 armel packages, or to recover the original ones from the maemo6 repo, but no success. My phone failed, and didn't want to boot, so I had to reflash it.
I don't think you'll have much success in running the N9 build on the N900. Harmattan switched to the new hard-float ABI (see http://wiki.debian.org/ArmHardFloatPort/ for an overview).

More or less all libraries on the phone must be replaced with hard-float versions to run it. Perhaps it's possible to prepare a chroot jail with everything needed, replacing libs in the root file system will just brick the phone.

Regarding updates for the the N900, I'm undecided on if I'll make new versions for it. I've had two N900s die on me with the dreaded "All telephony functions, including emergency call, are disabled due to a communication error." message, I took that as a hint to move on.

/ohrn

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Poland, Tricity
Have someone noticed problems with cached apps? I mean ones with "HTML 5" application cache enabled. It seems that the more you put in the cache the more corrupted it is.

You can try for example:
http://m.enux.pl/meteo/
# Open it
# Close Opera
# Open it again
After the second opening no CSS nor JS seems to be avialable.

Have you seen similar problems with other HTML 5 apps?

EDIT: Never mind. Found a workaround. It's kinda lame but it will do for know.

Last edited by eccenux; 2012-07-23 at 21:18.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Poland, Tricity
Blah. Why did someone disable setting custom user agent in Opera Mobile :-(. I was so excited that I will be able to see facebook as in the Nokia Browser.

Just tested on Opera Mobile Emulator and faking user agent to the one from Nokia N9 you will get a nice m.facebook look&feel. Not that it all works but it's still better then original m.facebook.

Sadly our Opera Mobile doesn't allow user agent changing :-(.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by eccenux View Post
Blah. Why did someone disable setting custom user agent in Opera Mobile :-(. I was so excited that I will be able to see facebook as in the Nokia Browser.

Just tested on Opera Mobile Emulator and faking user agent to the one from Nokia N9 you will get a nice m.facebook look&feel. Not that it all works but it's still better then original m.facebook.

Sadly our Opera Mobile doesn't allow user agent changing :-(.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...27#post1241627

Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
I have opera 12.002 deb, but also can you give me 12.006 deb?
many thanks
Hi, TMavica, sadly I do not have a .deb of version 12.0.6. I got it from the OVI store. Do you know of any way that I can get it to you? PRETTY PLEASE, can you send me the .deb for version 12.0.2? Or maybe just post it here?

PUH-leeeeeese???!!!

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
here you are
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37229054/ope...00.2_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Well, since I have the latest v.12.0.6, I'll share some experiences and personal impressions.

The best parts of Opera are the speed and the reflowing text. And when I had my old N900, the Opera virtual keyboard portrait orientation was the envy of all. The keyboard of the N9 is superior to the Opera one, but Opera's is workable and is not the primary issue with using it as the default browser.

My primary problem was that the mobile user agent did not direct the browser to the mobile versions of websites. Even typing in, say, m.gizmodo.com gets you to the mobile site fine with native browser, but takes you to the full site with Opera, which is mosty useless. Same issue with Youtube's mobile site: native automatically takes you to the highly functional mobile site, while Opera automatically takes you to the useless full site. Strangely, when you type in m.youtube.com in Opera you DO go to a mobile site, but it's crappy (NOT the same mobile Youtube site the default browser takes you to). The crappy Youtube plays videos in a very low-def native player linked to the N9 video gallery, while the nice Youtube has very high-quality playback. This has to be a user agent issue, right? The url is pointed at m.youtube.com both times, but delivers dramatically different results. NET RESULT is that quality video content via Youtube or mobile sites is difficult or impossible to reach with Opera v.12.0.6.

As for the Opera keyboard, some of the bigger issues were: (1) no tactile feedback, (2) no keyboard sound effects, (3) no arrows, (4) no copy/paste buttons, and (5) poor shift key/capitalization function (every new sentence you have to shift, type capital letter, and de-shift with second press).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
As for the Opera keyboard, some of the bigger issues were: (1) no tactile feedback, (2) no keyboard sound effects, (3) no arrows, (4) no copy/paste buttons, and (5) poor shift key/capitalization function (every new sentence you have to shift, type capital letter, and de-shift with second press).
^ This +1