Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
But I am still quite confident that those problems are not related to runnig in Open Mode. What kind of open mode are you talking about, since not all open modes are born equal?
  • The "crippled open mode" is just running the normal aegis-enabled kernel after triggering open mode either accidentally or on purpose, which may get you into all kinds of problems.
  • The "aegis-neutered open mode" is when you are running a specially patched kernel that allows full root access to the device.
  • The "full open mode" is when you have also removed the aegisfs configuration entries from your /etc/

Those problems with n9QTweak, is it so that nobody has ran into those problems when using closed mode?

One thing to remember:

Whether you use aegis-neutered kernel or not, your device will ALWAYS be in open mode after you use the flasher to load ANY kernel that is not signed by Nokia.

Even if you just load it in rescue mode, and do not flash it. Just booting a nonsigned kernel will do ti.

Once you trigger Open Mode there is ONLY ONE WAY to ever go back to closed mode, and thet is by full flashing both firmware and EMMC.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I consulted some highly skilled developers and both agree that with Open Mode you are less likely to get random crashes than on Closed mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
But I am still quite confident that those problems are not related to runnig in Open Mode. What kind of open mode are you talking about, since not all open modes are born equal?
  • The "crippled open mode" is just running the normal aegis-enabled kernel after triggering open mode either accidentally or on purpose, which may get you into all kinds of problems.
  • The "aegis-neutered open mode" is when you are running a specially patched kernel that allows full root access to the device.
  • The "full open mode" is when you have also removed the aegisfs configuration entries from your /etc/

Those problems with n9QTweak, is it so that nobody has ran into those problems when using closed mode?

One thing to remember:

Whether you use aegis-neutered kernel or not, your device will ALWAYS be in open mode after you use the flasher to load ANY kernel that is not signed by Nokia.

Even if you just load it in rescue mode, and do not flash it. Just booting a nonsigned kernel will do ti.

Once you trigger Open Mode there is ONLY ONE WAY to ever go back to closed mode, and thet is by full flashing both firmware and EMMC.
I didn't tried all mode , but I meant that I flashed the zImage.pr13 kernel patched for NITdroid..
If I remember correctly, also thedead1440 had that problems with that Open Mode.
In fact now I have only enabled Inception, I have the same N9QTweak enabled, and all goes well, but in Open Mode I had many installation problems..

The Following User Says Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Alright, so, recap, you've just flashed zImage.pr13, and are running it.

Have you heard of a directory called "/etc/aegisfs.d/" and "/etc/ssl/" ?

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Alright, so, recap, you've just flashed zImage.pr13, and are running it.

Have you heard of a directory called "/etc/aegisfs.d/" and "/etc/ssl/" ?
No, only /bin/evkey and /sbin/preinit files added with the decompression of sillyboot v2 archive needed for NITdroid.. No /etc/aegisfs.d/ or /etc/ssl/ folders heard so far.. For these reasons I asked if also the installation of the kernel/patched kernel needed for ubiboot multiboot OS have similar issues (maybe the problem was just the patched kernel for NITdroid), nobody else..

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-03-04 at 13:17.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Alright, so you're in Half-openmode. You probably experience a ****ton of issues, such as bad battery life, and passwords not being saved, etc.

Please refer to these instructions by javispedro to obtain a supported Open Mode configuration.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
this openmode bug is not some kind of random crashing bug.
this bug related to dpkg installation procedure, when all running tasks are closing after installation ends. it well-known openmode bug and noone know how to solve it. maybe related to some broken reading/writing to CAL area, but i am not sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Alright, so you're in Half-openmode. You probably experience a ****ton of issues, such as bad battery life, and passwords not being saved, etc.

Please refer to these instructions by javispedro to obtain a supported Open Mode configuration.
Battery and password problem no, only random (or multiple) installation problem. If the above problems are only for Half-Open Mode, I'm happy to this, because without that maybe I'll install the ubiboot

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have updated the README file to deal with the issue of L2 cache initialization in Harmattan boot.

The fix is to use the provided zImage_2.6.32.54-openmode_l2fix as the harmattan boot kernel. It is a module-compatible drop-in replacement for the vanilla aegis-neutered openmode kernel that has the L2 cache issue fixed. The patch is included as openmode_l2fix.patch

theyosh, please test your harmattan boot using the patched kernel.
Sorry for the late reply, but this kernel keeps my phone rebooting. The pulsing nokia logo is showing earlier, so looks faster. But then I get a message of battery loading and the phone reboots... And that's it... Tried three times... no luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to theyosh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Holland
But I still have some issues / questions..

First, in your movie, ubiboot shows after about 10 seconds. Mine takes about 25 seconds... What could cause this?

How can I see what kind of open mode I have? I saw some different versions / methods? How can I check what I have and if it is the right version / way.

For now, at the moment I don't have much time to test. But I will try to do my best and give feedback.

The Following User Says Thank You to theyosh For This Useful Post: