Im a little disappointed that after so mutch time, this isnt added to N9 qtweak :-(
Is it realy hard to do it? Im asking because we have so many Pros in this community.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by kanser View Post
Im a little disappointed that after so mutch time, this isnt added to N9 qtweak :-(
Is it realy hard to do it? Im asking because we have so many Pros in this community.
The real reason is there are many people who don't bother reading and may end up MALF'ing their device if this was added to N9QT...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
The real reason is there are many people who don't bother reading and may end up MALF'ing their device if this was added to N9QT...
Actually, I think that this closely relates to the point kanser was making.

Given that this tweak is a sensitive process that is easy to mess up, and since we want to eliminate the procedural errors that lead to MALFs, wouldn't it be smart to automate this process, whether through N9QT or otherwise?

This way, accidental changes and other screw ups could be avoided. So, is it possible to automate? Why or why not?

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
i Think all possible.. If we want..
I don't remember all process of this tweak, but i remember the problem that user need deactivate this tweak if he want connect her phone via USB cable as mass storage... This we can solve via icon - one press activate, another one deactivate.. But still user need to remember this...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
i Think all possible.. If we want..
I don't remember all process of this tweak, but i remember the problem that user need deactivate this tweak if he want connect her phone via USB cable as mass storage... This we can solve via icon - one press activate, another one deactivate.. But still user need to remember this...
Depends on what are you doing/using
extra swap file - swap file solution on mass storage does have issue, but enabling extra swap partition (a dangerous method for some) doesn't need to be disabled AFAIK.

(i don't use usb cable for my phone though)

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
Depends on what are you doing/using
extra swap file - swap file solution on mass storage does have issue, but enabling extra swap partition (a dangerous method for some) doesn't need to be disabled AFAIK.

(i don't use usb cable for my phone though)
I don't have this tweak, but what exactly are the issues with mass storage mode?

If this tweak is properly accomplished, are there any other problems or threats to consider?

If it's safe, then wooohoooo! I'm sure that I and many others would be very happy to see this tweak automated in a separate tweak or a future version of N9QT . . .

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
I don't have this tweak, but what exactly are the issues with mass storage mode?
If your additional swap is a file on the SD card rather than a partition, then unmounting the SD card in mass storage mode means kaboom! A partition is OK, as I can vouch myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
This its a reasons that i don't want to add this to n9qt..

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
If this tweak is properly accomplished, are there any other problems or threats to consider?

If it's safe, then wooohoooo! I'm sure that I and many others would be very happy to see this tweak automated in a separate tweak or a future version of N9QT . . .
Well, it depends on what do you call "hafmful side effects"

When the mtd4 NAND-FLASH partition is used for swap, it will get a lot of writes and the quality of that type of FLASH is not very good. It is most certainly not meant to be used like that.

What happens, sooner or later is that you will burn your flash partition to unuseful condition, it will literally be worn out.

Now, is this bad or not? It depends, because your device will operate just like before, normally mtd5 is not used for anyting, it's just spare storage on your device.

I myself keep an additional OS there, but you can use it for anything you like, even as swap space...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA

check this:
1st method = you have file on mass storage that is always in use, so, no unmounting until you disable swap
2nd method = using one "disk" that has not being used...

both methods will some day damage your phone, sooner or later

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post: