Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
my qustion. Do you think any other vendors planning to announce devices soon?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Drekkie View Post
Potential new (cringe-worthy?) slogan: "There's a "half" for that.".
I'm not so sure that the Jolla is quite as "modular" as that; I really doubt that the back half is ever going to turn into a extra battery/ hardware keyboard/extra ports/docking station/etc. like folks here are talking about. It'd take a lot more manufacturing effort than I suspect Jolla is capable of pulling together from whatever partners it has. Just getting them to manufacture a durable back cover with whatever sensor they are using is probably going to be enough of a hassle...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
This is how big Jolla is compared to N9 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...0Ey-xnkY#t=12s
It looks annoyingly big in comparison. I start to worry.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
So i was told to chill out and wait.
Now i know it has two parts and some features of second part.
But real specs, no info on plans of support/updates ( maybe it's only beta device and in 3 months they would release new one and stop support of that one, or would they update all the lines as long as it's possible)
What countries will get at all? (if shipping will be available at all and if yes in what time(not exact but at least QX of 201X)

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
What I see in Jolla smartphone and Sailfish OS is a smartphone & mobile OS with some features from desktop PC with Linux, because :
1) "The Other Half" promises some hardware (not just color) personalisation for the smartphone user, with : greater battery, hardware keyboard, different camera/flash, etc;
2) real multitasking available at the GUI, with animated miniatures of the running softwares, something seen only in Maemo, MeeGo Harmattan, BlackBerry;
3) Sailfish OS is based on Mer/Nemo which is full open source and community driven, so you can really contribute to parts of Sailfish OS, the default packages, add packages to repositories, etc. Try to do that in Android, iOS, WP, BlackBerry, etc...
4) packages with dependencies, so community developers can contribute with useful softwares which can become libraries or dependencies of many other softwares, or even the default software;
5) Sailfish OS has not only Linux kernel, but almost all parts of desktop Linux, like X11, terminal, glibc, compilers & languages (gcc, Python, etc), Qt (4.8 & 5), etc.

I see Jolla smartphone & Sailfish OS as a true successor of Nokia N9 & MeeGo Harmattan, with some innovations like hardware personalisation, more swipe gestures and richer GUI, Android compatibility and being more community driven.

Anyway, I think Jolla deserves the support of the Maemo/MeeGo community, by pre-ordering the smartphone, developing softwares, promoting it in blogs, etc.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-05-20 at 19:37.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, I'm impressed with the device. I've gotta hand it to the folks at Jolla; they've taken the limited hardware that was available to them, and created something rather fresh out of it.

For myself, this is really the device I would have wished the N9 had been. The N9 looks pretty, but the Jolla phone's shape looks more comfortable to use. More importantly, it has a replaceable battery and a (micro) SD-card slot; after my experience with the iPhone, I'm not planning on ever getting another portable computing device without those two features.

I think I finally have a fairly comfortable upgrade path from my N900. (I just wish they'd been able to fit an IR port on the device! )
yeah this gets the shi* out of me as without ir handheld is useless for me or only one on earth i think
damm whole home is ir .

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Serbia
well, I'm so sad that my country isn't on the list and I can't register normally.
I'm impressed with the device specs and the other half, but it's to big compared to n9. that's my only negative criticism.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
yeah this gets the shi* out of me as without ir handheld is useless for me or only one on earth i think
damm whole home is ir .
If there will be no IR cover, maybe you can just plug a diode into the usb at the top (or even headphone jack)? Headphone jack might be even easier as you could send IR playing music

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Brazil
I think that browser is Snowshoe.

HWKB and I buy.

Will have to wait. Looks promising.

HWKB and I buy.

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red