Active Topics

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
Originally Posted by robotanarchy View Post
- lightweight C programs that don't fill up the RAM and which get the most of the performance, try to avoid python and other script languages in the recommended core packages
I'd like to send that in Fraktur to the programmers of the bluetooth stack. Atrocious code that gets worse by every release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Älä hakkaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Leipzig
While preparing a newly flashed n900 for the june-rootfs, I wish one could spare all the upgrading and updating just in order to get the U-Boot in place. A fiasco image just like the maemo ones, only with alarm inside would make a nice shortcut, wouldn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to Älä hakkaa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Skry View Post
alarm-n900-201306-rootfs.tar.gz
I used this image on a newly ext4-formated uSD directly on the N900, and used the provided u-boot item file, but could not make it boot. The N900 resets at kernel loading. Anyone else tested this rootfs yet?

Originally Posted by Älä hakkaa View Post
While preparing a newly flashed n900 for the june-rootfs, I wish one could spare all the upgrading and updating just in order to get the U-Boot in place. A fiasco image just like the maemo ones, only with alarm inside would make a nice shortcut, wouldn't it?
You don't need to use u-boot combined with alarm kernel flashed into NAND. All you need is latest u-boot *only* flashed there, *once* - then, you don't need any flashing/combining PITA, no matter how many new releases of kernel's you're using comes out. You need to flash *only* if new u-boot get's released.

After all, kernel sits in RAM anyway, so it's 0 difference in performance or anything, when you make u-boot to load kernel from image on /dev/mmcblk0p1 (Maemo naming used, but you know the idea) - as opposed to having kernel combined into u-boot image.

This approach makes using U-boot for such things as alarm a pleasure.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Poland
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I used this image on a newly ext4-formated uSD directly on the N900, and used the provided u-boot item file, but could not make it boot. The N900 resets at kernel loading. Anyone else tested this rootfs yet?
I just tried it out and it works fine for me (at least boot/login). For me it seems that this is the kernel related problem. What is the last message that you can see? Do you use 3.5.7.5?

edit: I just tried wifi-menu and pacman -Syu, both are fine. Seems like the pain of upgrading the system is gone, thanks Skry - people are going to be grateful for that

Last edited by orsoniasty; 2013-07-04 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to orsoniasty For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by orsoniasty View Post
I just tried it out and it works fine for me (at least boot/login). For me it seems that this is the kernel related problem. What is the last message that you can see? Do you use 3.5.7.5?
Thanks for the info. I just mkfs'd the partition, extracted the rootfs, installed the provided item file and updated u-boot. No packages installed or anything, as I was willing to validade the procedure. I will investigate further.

update: fixed by upgrading u-boot to the version in extras-devel

Last edited by caveman; 2013-07-04 at 14:11. Reason: updated with fix

The Following User Says Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
It also works with older u-boot, as long as you use one from Pali's site, *not* from -devel. It's compiler related problem (one used to compile u-boot - the autobuilder's one is too old). New version of u-boot in -devel goes around it, by uploading binary (already compiled using newer compiler) file of u-boot image, skipping autobuilder's compilation.

I though it was mentioned in first page, first post?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I though it was mentioned in first page, first post?
/Estel
It is, indeed. I had this working; I must have upgraded u-boot by mistake.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
hi Skry,
sorry for asking in this thread... i know that it's the wrong place then, feel free to ignore me and just don't answer me at all You already did so much !!!
I'm an Arch newbie and It's been a couple days since i've managed to boot it on my N900. Everything went ok except for the wifi. It's sooo slow even though with good signal and bandwidth. Doesn't matter whether i'm on the the browser (elinks) or syncing pacman database. Seems like it starts well but within a few secs it progressivelly becomes slower and slower until stops. Same thing using 2013.02 and 2013.06 rootfs. Dmesg doesn't show nothing wrong with the link. It's an open network and both my Arch netbook and MicroB are working very well on that. I don't have access to any other AP Have you seen something like this ?
Thank you very much for your efforts.
edit: found it!
Code:
#iwconfig wlan0 power off
but hey who cares about battery when you haave a full native arch on your pocket ?!?! Thanks !

Last edited by saponga; 2013-07-09 at 13:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saponga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Hi, any suggestions on how to make keyboard work in chrooted from Maemo Qt apps?

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post: