Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stuttgart, Germany
I uploaded svn revision 5560 to bokomoko.de. I did no see commit comments which indicate big changes compared to the last package though.

Rainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rdorsch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Usul View Post
Hi there, this is Usul from the Navit team.

We are currently try to, reanimate our development and to get better usability and more stability
This means for now, that we switch back to a releasing cycle and put the focus on the essential features and platforms and make more testing.

As all that can not be done by only a few devs and we need to disburden our maintainer, I like to ask who might want to help us, to maintain the maemo n900/n800 port?
https://forum.navit-project.org/view...php?f=17&t=427
This means in detail, that we like to setup a build server/repo for creating current SVN nightly builds and to help on improving the integration on the platform and make use of the pretty cool features that the N900s offer. I already bought an old unit, to help on testing and documentation:
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Maemo

If you want to get in contact with us, please sign up at our wiki and use this credentials to login our forum. Personally I don't want to mess up this topic with all content that is more related to development etc.
Hi Usul,

happy to read that you bought an N900 to help make a better n900 navit user experience.

If it helps you, I can share my setup, which I use to build navit for n900 more or less regularly (about once per month). Clearly, more formal releases would help to pick good code for a package. Though I have to admit, that I saw few problems with more or less randomly picked svn revisions in the past year.

I think in total better integration would help the n900 or maemo port in general. Obvious things would be
  • Map download through a gui
  • Package which can be uploaded to extras
  • Disabling GPS when accelerator indicates no movement
  • Direct calling to phone numbers of restaurants in the attributes (instead of copying the phone number manually to the phone application)
  • Addressbook/destination integration

Unfortunately, my time budget does currently not allow me to drive that effort, but I am happy to support anybody who wants to get more involved.

Rainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rdorsch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by rdorsch View Post
I uploaded svn revision 5560 to bokomoko.de. I did no see commit comments which indicate big changes compared to the last package though.

Rainer
thanks for the updated version.

btw something is moving in navit team, my submitted patches has been scheduled one for 0.5.1 hotfix and other one for version 0.6.0

The Following User Says Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gianko View Post

btw something is moving in navit team, my submitted patches has been scheduled one for 0.5.1 hotfix and other one for version 0.6.0
Which patches did you submit?

Rainer

Hi Usul,

happy to read that you bought an N900 to help make a better n900 navit user experience.
Was a pleasure and I noticed that it's a pretty well designed device and build for geeks

If it helps you, I can share my setup, which I use to build navit for n900 more or less regularly (about once per month). Clearly, more formal releases would help to pick good code for a package. Though I have to admit, that I saw few problems with more or less randomly picked svn revisions in the past year.
Thats absolutly true and the reason why I try to reintroduce a release cycle and testing.
I will try to translate your text and create a appropriate official N900 wikipage

I think in total better integration would help the n900 or maemo port in general. Obvious things would be
  • Map download through a gui
  • Package which can be uploaded to extras
  • Disabling GPS when accelerator indicates no movement
  • Direct calling to phone numbers of restaurants in the attributes (instead of copying the phone number manually to the phone application)
  • Addressbook/destination integration

Unfortunately, my time budget does currently not allow me to drive that effort, but I am happy to support anybody who wants to get more involved.
Most of them sound good to me and we already try to reflect some of them. But as Navit is heavily crossplatform, it will always need time to create general interfaces and create specific platform implementations in a second step. As the dev team is currently very smal, we need even more time.

IMHO currently we should give the essential tasks a higher priority to get the things done that the 0.5.1 hotfix should reflect (short: code an dev process cleanup and stability).
So I like to suggest:
  • Improve N900/Maemo Navit documentation
  • Move build process to CMake
  • Integrate the build process to our build server
  • introduce official packages to DEVEL repo

In the next weeks I will try to improve the wiki and to learn more about N900 integration.

The Following User Says Thank You to Usul For This Useful Post:

I guess I was the one who scheduled your fixes. Our maintainer asked me for cleaning up our issue tracker and to do any release planing, so I tried my best. I don't have any experience or privileges to merge your patches, so this might still need time, as we try to improve our dev process and to disburden our maintainer.

P.S: Maybe it would be wise to go over to the Navit forum for discussions that are development related? I guess this avoids to spam the regular users and helps the navit community to keep the communication at one place?
Would be nice if you and Rainer would signup at the Wiki and then login using this credentials at our forum

Which patches did you submit?

Rainer
one adding missing poi icons, and one adding more poi attributes like capacity, operator, website, opening_hours, etc. when tapping on "show attributes"

does anybody tried if the OSD item for the speed_camera is working? http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OSD#speed_cam

Code:
<osd enabled="yes" type="speed_cam" w="550" h="40" x="30" y="350" font_size="450" text_color="#00FF00" label="${distance} | ${camera_type} | ${camera_dir} | ${direction} | ${speed_limit}" />
i will add now to test if is capable of detecting cameras in OSM-derived binfiles.

i want to know if highway=speed_camera node are detected only if the node is on the way, or also to the side of the way as suggested by osm community. i can see the poi icon but let's check if some audible and visual information related to speed cameras in the near vicinity works. (wiki says: announce_on by default is 1 (i.e. this osd item will announce upcoming cameras with a "Look out! Camera!" warning) if this attribute is not set. )

wiki says also: "When using an OSM-derived binfile this OSD can only determine the distance to the camera. This is due to limitations of the OSM data". well there are plenty of tags in osm that can give informations like: maxspeed=30, camera:direction=180(degrees), etc.

also in osm you can add an "enforcement" relation with 3 nodes (from, to and device) but is it Navit handling relations?

maybe not yet. if a tag for example amenity=post_office is added only in the relation, it doesn't show up in navit map.

@rdorsch btw if we like to use also IGO8 files, are you compiling Navit with the option --enable-map-csv ?

so we can add also
Code:
<map type="csv" enabled="yes" data="/path/to/igo8/file/speedcam.txt" item_type="tec_common" attr_types="position_longitude,position_latitude,tec_type,maxspeed,tec_dirtype,tec_direction" />
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Csv

ps: as some new users find difficult to edit xml files, is it possible to use/port the NavitConfigurator for N900? http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....itConfigurator

does anybody tried if the OSD item for the speed_camera is working? http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/OSD#speed_cam
I don't think it's currently that well implemented to work ou of the box. But I'm not that experienced with that (I'm cyclist only).

ps: as some new users find difficult to edit xml files, is it possible to use/port the NavitConfigurator for N900? http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....itConfigurator
I don't recommend to port this external app, as the author no longer supports development and our XML schema will change to improve sharding layouts, mapstyles, ...
We hope in the long run, that Navit will have a good auto-setup, so nobody needs (but can!) touch the XML files.

i've just start to handle with this and already got working the version from maemo repos with maps from an open project that makes Brazil's maps to garmin devices (www.tracksource.org.br) The map was showed properlly but since i did not manage to get the gps working even though i've tried many "vehicle" configs on .xml file, i decided uninstall and start again with this new build. Now i'm getting the error as follows and navit doesn't even start up. I tried adapt 3 diferents navit.xml files that i got from this thread and no joy. Could anyone upload a package with some config files that works with that new build ? Is there any *easy* way to increasy the verbosity of the output ?
Thanks
navit:main_real:Loading /home/user/.navit/navit.xml

EDIT: Woow !!! Workarounded: changed <graphics type="gtk_drawing_area"> to qt_qpainter
No maps though, but still trying...
Edit2: Ok, OSM are working ok. My gmapsupp.img, otoh, still ignored by navit. As far as could check, libmap_garmin is missing on this latest build. Is there any mean to get it without build fron scratch ?
Thanks again

Last edited by saponga; 2013-08-19 at 20:13.

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap