Active Topics

Has anyone tried this app? Is the developer trust worthy?

http://www.tequnique.com/gopro

They want you to give the IMEI number on the phone for registration purposes. I understand some of the reasoning behind this but (pardon the dumb question) can anything bad happen security-wise by giving this number? Thanks all for any info.

I wouldn't give the IMEI. Not sure about the developer, but your only official site for GoPro is gopro.com.

On the other hand, depending on what you want from the app, you may not need an app at all :-)

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I wouldn't give the IMEI. Not sure about the developer, but your only official site for GoPro is gopro.com.

On the other hand, depending on what you want from the app, you may not need an app at all :-)
What's the deal with people being so shy to tell their IMEI in the first place...? For a normal user that's really just the device serial number. Is this part of some urban legend telling you not to disclose it ever?

Quite a lot of commercial SW uses IMEI to register the copy of the SW to a certain device.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What's the deal with people being so shy to tell their IMEI in the first place...? For a normal user that's really just the device serial number. Is this part of some urban legend telling you not to disclose it ever?
Why does an application need my IMEI? Since when do you tell the SN of your computer to MS Windows for it to be installed? (or Linux or whatever you use for that matter)

This isn't about any urban legend to me, it's about common sense.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Quite a lot of commercial SW uses IMEI to register the copy of the SW to a certain device.
Register where? If an application is going to open a connection to the internet to transmit my IMEI, I'd like to know it first to avoid it. If the application is going to register itself somewhere on the device, then why the IMEI?

I have never had this experience with any mobile application that I have ever used.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Why does an application need my IMEI? Since when do you tell the SN of your computer to MS Windows for it to be installed? (or Linux or whatever you use for that matter)
Are you sure
On quite a few computers, at least on laptops, the BIOS exports the device serial number to the OS. How do you know what Windows does with that...?

This isn't about any urban legend to me, it's about common sense.
But what are you afraid of? That Men-In-Black track you down with it? And somehow use it against you?
For privacy, I'd begin by not using any Social Media before restorting to esoteric things like protecting your IMEI...

Register where? If an application is going to open a connection to the internet to transmit my IMEI, I'd like to know it first to avoid it. If the application is going to register itself somewhere on the device, then why the IMEI?
In this case propably they just want to know that there actually is someone downloading the SW for a specific device make/model. (as that is one thing you can tell from an IMEI number)
Propably they just collect some harmless statistics.

In some other cases, where it is SW that you buy a license to use, it is bound to your IMEI so that you cannot copy the SW to some other device... kind of simple anti-piracy procedure.

I have never had this experience with any mobile application that I have ever used.
Then you certainly have not installed much SW on symbian devices as it used to be quite usual procedure there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

The only real reason I want the app is for video preview to aim the camera. The remote I have with mine does everything else the app does so I see where you are coming from. I just want to know if anyone else has tried this developer/app for some feedback and to see if there is any security risk with the IMEI. It would be nice if there was an official app for the N9 but there isn't. Thanks all for the info thus far.

Originally Posted by justadude View Post
The only real reason I want the app is for video preview to aim the camera. The remote I have with mine does everything else the app does so I see where you are coming from. I just want to know if anyone else has tried this developer/app for some feedback and to see if there is any security risk with the IMEI. It would be nice if there was an official app for the N9 but there isn't. Thanks all for the info thus far.
I suggest then that you connect with your phone to the wifi of the camera and access the IP address of the camera (it is your default GW), port 8888. You can browse the snapshot there. I think the N9 can do it straight away, otherwise download and play.

Seriously, this is all that the application do in terms of preview. It's pretty badly designed the whole thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Novosibirsk, Russia
According to info at the site Live Preview is not supported in N9 version:
  • Live preview for Windows XP and newer (including Windows 8), MacOS, Nokia Symbian, Microsoft Windows Phone 8, Google Android, and Apple iOS
Note: live preview is not supported except[/LIST]explicitely stated
So, probably, you don't need this app anyway.

Last edited by Loginin; 2013-11-06 at 18:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Loginin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Loginin View Post
According to info at the site Live Preview is not supported in N9 version:

So, probably, you don't need this app anyway.
Yea, I contacted the dev and he is considering adding this feature so play it by ear I guess.

I suggest then that you connect with your phone to the wifi of the camera and access the IP address of the camera (it is your default GW), port 8888. You can browse the snapshot there. I think the N9 can do it straight away, otherwise download and play.

Seriously, this is all that the application do in terms of preview. It's pretty badly designed the whole thing.
Really? That would be excellent if this would actually work. I will try it and see what happens. Thanks mate!