Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
I don't see it getting released in the US as absolutely crucial.
As an American, I wholly disagree. Right now, in the US... no big group of people yet really want change. Or a device they have to learn how to use. People want convenience.

We've become a marketing group that wants the George Jetson lifestyle - one button that does everything. I know that sounds like I'm talking in absolutes, but I've never been more disappointed in the North American market - the people, the companies, the offerings and the carriers - then ever before.

Jolla probably would have an uphill battle for what would be a smaller market than the EU. In fact, besides the very few N9 fans, the core fans in the NA market that would buy a Jolla phone might be too small for an expedited release and without any carrier advertising. That would mean actual advertising - a grass roots advertising campaign in the US might not take.

I wish them luck, but the North American market is just plain too weird and small to consider it a game changer at this moment.

(45)

Last edited by gerbick; 2013-12-25 at 10:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Same here.. I didn't wait for invitation anymore, just purchased from the shop to the address of my friend from Switzerland. Paid completed via paypal and now Order status is "Payment Review" almost a week and they not answering to my mails/requests about what happens..
Well mine just says "Paid", no tracking code nor "in picking" yet. I'll wait tho, not in a hurry. Once my package is shipped I'll get the tracking code.
But since you've paid already I don't see where you should worry.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
I'll explain..
When I decided to purchase, I needed to register on shop.jolla.com, but their site not have Israel in the country list (Name & Address = Billing Address) and I should insert the direct address of my friend in Swiss.
Another mistake is when I wrote my name instead of my friend.
When I completed payment I saw in the order status “Suspected Fraud”, probably because of I wrote address of my friend in the Name & Address = Billing Address form.
I wrote mail to jolla, but no answers... After two days the order status changed to "Payment Review" , I wrote mail again and again no answers...
From yesterdays I saw on my bank account that money is transferred from my account...
Hope they will answer me soon...

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
I'll explain..
When I decided to purchase, I needed to register on shop.jolla.com, but their site not have Israel in the country list (Name & Address = Billing Address) and I should insert the direct address of my friend in Swiss.
Another mistake is when I wrote my name instead of my friend.
When I completed payment I saw in the order status “Suspected Fraud”, probably because of I wrote address of my friend in the Name & Address = Billing Address form.
I wrote mail to jolla, but no answers... After two days the order status changed to "Payment Review" , I wrote mail again and again no answers...
From yesterdays I saw on my bank account that money is transferred from my account...
Hope they will answer me soon...
Payment review probably means they're checking again the details before telling you it's a scam. And since the money was transferred I think everything's gonna be just fine. And yea they need a bit of time right now because they're kinda in a pressured situation.

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

The Following User Says Thank You to AMD For This Useful Post:
NA market isn't small. At least it won't be any smaller than some markets in Europe. Size doesn't scare Jolla I think. It's the legal landscape that worries them. Entering US means preparing to fight patent trolls, privateers, racketeers like M$, Apple and the rest. It might be doable, but it's also risky. I hope this won't prevent Jolla from doing it though, and it won't take them years to start.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The legal issues are implicit. But will it be worth it to Jolla? One doesn't simply launch a phone in the US without FCC approval, the different GSM frequencies than the rest of the world and without advertising or some generated buzz - ZTE's eBay release of the FirefoxOS phone is a possible counter-example though - you're just also selling an item on Amazon or your website and people in the know would be your only clientele.

And folks in the NA market just don't know Jolla. Not yet.

In the end, after the legal hurdles, the different hardware, the weird carrier situation and the even weirder population that's spoon fed from either Engadget, Gizmodo or QVC - is it worth it?

I say thee, nay. All my opinion. But the North American market is just an unenlightened one from my marketing experience. And the enlightened is just too small of a group. The challenge lays there.

(43)

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
NA market isn't small. At least it won't be any smaller than some markets in Europe. Size doesn't scare Jolla I think. It's the legal landscape that worries them. Entering US means preparing to fight patent trolls, privateers, racketeers like M$, Apple and the rest. It might be doable, but it's also risky. I hope this won't prevent Jolla from doing it though, and it won't take them years to start.

Legal issues aside, and let's say they pass the FCC approval, what do they lose by offering the device for the NA market? They lose nothing, and they gain users. Buzz and etc. isn't their focus now even in Europe. Jolla's marketing is pretty minimal everywhere. I.e. they already are selling only for "those who know". They still have enough demand for their level of production now, so entering US won't make it any worse (IMHO people in Europe don't know Jolla any more than in US - i.e. those who know - know already, others have no clue). But legal problems are the real roadblock.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
As I have stated before, NA market was the thing that finally destroyed the mobile devices business of Nokia, so it is not entirely without a risk to covet that market.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Nokia can't be compared, because they tried to be Apple 2 instead of steadily making good products. And they failed in their ambitions and wasted all their efforts. Jolla is nothing the like, they don't care to waste resources on being Apple 2 and they unlike Nokia are focused.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
what do they lose by offering the device for the NA market?
I'd suggest that Nokia's focus on the NA market under Elop contributed to their downfall ...

Last edited by strongm; 2013-12-26 at 19:36. Reason: Ah - just seen juiceme's earlier post to the same effect.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post: