Active Topics

Originally Posted by setasai View Post
what happens is i click open and it opens fbreader into a blank screen. does that mean its too large and its thinking or crashed?
FBReader might still be working, so try waiting a few minutes.

Another possibility might be to convert to Plucker (also readable by FBReader). You need a Windows Desktop.
See Plucker - the CHM reader for Palm OS. Plucker is just another single-file HTML package, but you can optimize image sizes while making the Plucker version and that might help.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Jose, CA
you know i've been playing with FBReader but I still cant figure out which format is most supported. If anybody knows which format is supported the "MOST" let me know. I know "which" format is supported since they have a list on their project page but they never mentioned a recommendation on which one to use if I had unlimited conversion abilities.

With that in mind, I'll test out plucker... thanks

Originally Posted by setasai View Post
you know i've been playing with FBReader but I still cant figure out which format is most supported. If anybody knows which format is supported the "MOST" let me know. I know "which" format is supported since they have a list on their project page but they never mentioned a recommendation on which one to use if I had unlimited conversion abilities.

With that in mind, I'll test out plucker... thanks
If your aim is to still be able to read your document 5 or 10 years from now you better stay with non proprietary drm-free formats like RTF and plucker. The Manybooks.net faq has a short comparison of the most used formats.

the plucker scripts work on OS2008 so you do not really need a windows desktop.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
If your aim is to still be able to read your document 5 or 10 years from now you better stay with non proprietary drm-free formats like RTF and plucker. The Manybooks.net faq has a short comparison of the most used formats.
I was actually referring to FBReader. I want to use the format the FBReader is best at rendering. The main reason is that the things i'm reading are complicated textbooks and if there are updates to the rendering to be made, I want to be using that format instead of some format that the FBReader team puts on the back burner.

This i no way means FBReader team isnt doing a fantastic job. I'm just impatient and if updates come i wanna see them. ^_^

Originally Posted by bousch View Post
the plucker scripts work on OS2008 so you do not really need a windows desktop.
You don't happen to know where i can find those scripts and maybe information on how to use them do you?

I've played with it again and again and havent really gotten anywhere. So I found the same ebook online, dont judge where I got it from. Anyway, its hosted here and lets see if we can figure out whats wrong with it?

BTW, if anybody's interested this is the williams textbook of endocrinology. I'm a premed.
Part 1: http://www.filefactory.com/file/2c6091/
Part 2: http://www.filefactory.com/file/381225/
Its a CHM file in RAR format so you'll need to unrar them together and it forms a CHM file around 100mb. Its actually one of the smaller CHM files i have.

Thanks to anybody who helps me figure this out.

Originally Posted by wallcraf View Post
The few CHMs I have tried with FBReader (e.g. software manuals) worked ok. Is there an example on the web of a CHM that failed for you?

One potential issue with FBReader is that it reads the entire document into memory and CHM e-books tend to be very large. So I have seen it fail on devices with too little swap space. If this is your problem FBReader will never return from trying to open the file or will crash. If this is the case, FBReader should work on a desktop computer (Windows or Linux). This does not help directly on a N810, but you can then try increasing the swap space.

Finally, I don't know of a good CHM conversion proceedure - but the latest Windows MobiPocket Reader is supposed to convert CHM to MOBI. This might be worth trying, because FBReader has relatively good MOBI support. However, my impression is that FBReader's CHM TOC is better than you will get from a MOBI file.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
FYI, this was mentioned on another thread here, but can't be bothered to find it, so...

This guy - http://darkreverser.wordpress.com/2008/02/13/new-blog/ - has some python scripts which strip DRM from mobibooks and convert encrypted ereader.com books to plain HTML. I've only used the ereader script, as I have a lot of their books from my Windows Mobile days, but it works great. Personally I have absolutely no issue with buying books/music/movies, and I guess a lot of people here are the same; I just want to be able to read/listen/watch them where I want.

I can 2nd the Darkreverser's scripts. I use the script for my DRM'd Mobipocket format books. There are a couple versions of the script and I had a thread around here somewhere about using them. But that does help a bit toward getting platform/device shifting of ebooks you bought and paid for over to the NIT.

In case the OP does not know about it there is also the http://mobileread.com/forums site dedicated to all things ebook. ALL the experts are there and also over on the Baen forums on http://baen.com (dunno the exact URL for the forums)...

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Can the Darkreverser's scripts.be run on the Tablet? How? TIA .

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)