Active Topics

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. You've probably already discussed this but what features do you need for media player? Perhaps there is an android version that meets your needs?
There are loads, but a shuffle function that get beyond the artists beginning with the letter A. Scrolliing of artists/songs plus a heap load more that I specified way early in this thread in november.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
There are loads, but a shuffle function that get beyond the artists beginning with the letter A. Scrolliing of artists/songs plus a heap load more that I specified way early in this thread in november.
I thought I'd try an android media player to see if it would work. There are quite a few of them. A popular one is called Poweramp which has some of the features you mentioned. Perhaps it is in the android app stores set up such that Jolla users can take advantage of. So first I downloaded it from the Playstore (there is a free two week trial) on my android phone and then transferred the app to my Jolla phone via bluetooth (don't have data on my Jolla phone.) It seemed to work fine as far as playing some ringtones on the device. Also equalizer worked. But I do not understand where to put music for this app to play. Anyone have experience with this?

EDIT: Ah! I found it. It will scan for your music but you have to allow it access to your music folders (including those on Nemo if you like). Go to

Poweramp Settings => Folders and Library => Music Folders

and check off where to have access. Looks like it can read off from external card as well. I don't currently have extensive music collection so maybe someone can test how well shuffle works. But sound is very nice.

EDIT 2: Btw I added some of my favorite music by Bartok, Mozart, and Vilvaldi and it shuffled fine. I now have a nice little Jolla Player!

Last edited by mscion; 2014-05-16 at 19:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
This seems to be relevant here. Jolla release plan for high-level features - update 6 / 7: https://lists.sailfishos.org/piperma...ay/004167.html

LTE coming to Finland, folder support coming later etc. but no mention of offline mapping or mediaplayer improvements. Don't know if everything thats planned (not promised!) for updates is listed but don't seem to be too promising (for me).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
As the new update will come any day now. Anyone know if copy/paste all over the phone will work soon?

Any news on that would be much appreciated.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
echo "performance" >/sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor

Any way to keep it applied even after reboot? I want a constant performance boost

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
echo "performance" >/sys/devices/platform/kgsl-3d0.0/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor

Any way to keep it applied even after reboot? I want a constant performance boost
Create .service file...

Originally Posted by Schturman View Post
Create .service file...
Where to put it?

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
When I get home I will create a simple package for this..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
I have Sygic in my N900 and with updated maps worked great for me. I will have a Jolla in less than a week
when were the maps updated last?

I guess it's my turn to write what I think about the Jolla phone. Before that, a bit of context: I've owned mobile phones for about 18 years, mostly Nokia ones, tried an Ericsson and a Sony Ericsson in the past and both didn't do as well as their Nokia equivalents. I am a person who roughly appreciates mobile phone features in the following order:
1. Call/reception quality
2. Battery life
3. Build quality

As for the latest mobile phones, often labelled smart phones, this is the rough order in which I appreciate features - note that in general the order above is more important than what comes next (a phone is a phone, if I want a computer, I'd get a tablet or laptop or something):
0. Calendar+Phone book (arguably, calendars+phone books have been bundled with "dumb" phones for quite a while)
1. Email
2. Synchronisation ability (e.g., VCF export, CalDAV compatibility built in/integrated, not via an "app")
3. Web browsing, including but not limited to proper HTML5 support to circumvent the necessity of having to download an "app" for every website that you want to visit
5. Maps, navigation, offline maps
6. IM'ing other than SMS (XMPP compatibility and the like)

Needless to say, the more I can tinker with the phone, the better ;-)

I have used iOS (up until version 6) on an iPhone 4 and use currently Android (4.4 or thereabouts) on a Sony Xperia SP for work - so, think email, browsing, call quality, reception are highly required. None of these devices match the OS speed, call/reception quality of the Jolla. The email client is superior - it may not have as many features as iOS's or Android's just yet, but it _works_. You set up an IMAP account, and it just works. Android/iOS's email clients often hang around/crash/don't sync properly - of course they want you to use their services, but that's no excuse for not supporting a standard protocol properly.
You would be suprised about how many times I had to use the Jolla to browse train times and alike because iOS/Android wouldn't perform (bad reception, pages loading forever and whatnot).

Now, I am not going to repeat a lot of things that have been said already, and the above should be self explanatory in terms of what the Jolla means to me. My previous phone was an N9, so for instance you'll figure that the Jolla disappoints a little bit when it comes to maps+navigation, offline maps and the like.

I have had the phone since December 2013.

Physical attributes/build/etc.: I find the phone beautiful, maybe because it's different than a lot of other phones out there. Despite TOH, build quality seems very good and it feels sturdy enough. I've got relatively small hands (thumb to little finger distance with hand as open as possible is a bit over 21cm) but the phone is comfortable to operate single handedly (more on this later). Alas! I did drop it the other day, the frame got a few scratches and later on that day the glass cracked from side to side. I haven't dropped a phone like that in over 10 years, so totaly my fault
From a reception/call quality perspective, this phone is better than the N9, and I found the N9 to be extremely good. You really have to make an effort to not have reception in an open area. I remember having a long call while walking through a passage in a train station where the N9 and the iPhone 4 wouldn't get reception - and the call quality never went down. This is what a phone is for - the ability to play Angry Birds is a plus IMO.

OS/interface/etc.: I have to admit that I'm an addict to the concept introduced by the N9 when it comes to a gesture UI. Sailfish takes that to the next level, and this helps tremendously to handle the phone single handedly despite it being bigger than the N9. Some work is still required in applications like Maps, although operation is good enough.
The rest of the OS is perfect for me - while there is still the lack of applications, the phone does more than any vanilla Android/iOS out there (think XMPP, CalDAV). Sailfish is still being furiously developed, and CalDAV is a good example - at the time of writing (Sailfish 1.0.5.19), there is no CalDAV support for any provider, but you can still set it up if you tinker with the phone, and it integrates nicely with the calendar and so on.
Some applications need work (multi threaded support in Email, better music player and whatnot), but it's nice that all of this gets recorded in together.jolla.com, people vote, features come along slowly but surely.

On the flip side, I don't think this phone is for the impatient or for the person who doesn't want to try new things - it isn't perfect. We still don't get paid applications (so things like MeeRun aren't ported just yet), API's, libraries are still being worked on from the Jolla side so developers find walls here and there, LTE will come soon and so many other things. Whether this phone is good for you or not depends on your priorities.

I do want to cover a couple of common problems that people have reported:
- Battery issue (reboots and so on): never happened... I think the phone rebooted once on a previous Sailfish version but that was it. I never had to put a piece of paper under the battery.
- SIM card disconnection issues: I can't say that the SIM card ever moved, I did get disconnections from the celullar network a few times (~5 times), and I'm not sure whether this was a conman issue or a physical issue or both.
- Overheating: never happened

In summary, I am very happy with the phone, it has been my main phone for a few months now (since the OS exited beta), and the only thing I use the N9 for is MeeRun and I'll certainly keep it for its maps/navigation abilities. Hopefully something cool will come for Sailfish to cover that gap. EDIT: MeeRun here: https://openrepos.net/content/bwalte...orts-tracker-0 (but the point is about paid applications anyway ;-) )
I personally hope that Jolla stays small-ish for a while longer, and that if it grows, it does it keeping their highly capable staff as their potential is enormous.

Last edited by ggabriel; 2014-05-24 at 14:31.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience