Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
It would be nice if the release is today. But I'm sceptic and i think that they are not ready to release the update today.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kake41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
do it like me! If Jolla promises an update in this month. Then count two weeks on it! And when the update comes sooner, your joy is the higher
dont forget it....

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
With all the patches rolling in for for example bash, I actually hope update is postponed for a few weeks to ensure latest patch level is employed for that.
Also, I would like to see connman actually supporting systemwide proxy support. After all, we get far more updates than most other vendors.
If you ask me, perhaps even a bit too much often.
Instead of full releases of complete system, I would like to see incremental updates to individual packages, for example batch, which could be distributed far more often.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
With all the patches rolling in for for example bash, I actually hope update is postponed for a few weeks to ensure latest patch level is employed for that.
What's stoping them releasing without those patches now AND an additional release for those patches only a week or three later?

Instead of full releases of complete system, I would like to see incremental updates to individual packages, for example batch, which could be distributed far more often.
There you go, you said it yourself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What's stoping them releasing without those patches now AND an additional release for those patches only a week or three later?

There you go, you said it yourself.
so this Stefano

10 chars .....
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
I actually hope update is postponed for a few weeks to ensure latest patch level is employed for that.
Actually, I'd prefer that they demonstrate that they now have a reliable infrastructure in place to distribute hot fixes and patches for things like this, without having to await a full OS update (as you yourself mention)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
With all the patches rolling in for for example bash
Such security patches should be rolled out "immediately". As they are single security fixes and at the same time only minor patches testing should no longer take than hours to a few days. Even for Debian stable such fixes are in place after only after very short testing.

Agree on that. On my desktop I prefer rolling releases (eg archlinux) over standard 'single' releases.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
As the OP I welcome the ramblings

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Funny: We (this community) asked for incremental upates since the earliest days of the Nokia 770, and it never happened. (Except for a few, very few hotfixes over the years.)

Nokia used to tell us that we cannot just take our desktop expectations and transfer them 1:1 to a mobile device. I never quite understood or believed that. Funny thing is that this update strategy remained unchanged all the time and now continues with SailfishOS. I really start wondering if it was true all along... if there *is* anything special about mobile environments that makes it more difficult to distribute incremental updates.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Funny: We (this community) asked for incremental upates since the earliest days of the Nokia 770, and it never happened. (Except for a few, very few hotfixes over the years.)

Nokia used to tell us that we cannot just take our desktop expectations and transfer them 1:1 to a mobile device. I never quite understood or believed that. Funny thing is that this update strategy remained unchanged all the time and now continues with SailfishOS. I really start wondering if it was true all along... if there *is* anything special about mobile environments that makes it more difficult to distribute incremental updates.
I understand that the 'core' system should be as stable as possible. nevertheless it should be possible that some 'internal applications' are updated as the applications available through jollastore. This means for example updates for the mail application + new features incl. sync profiles etc.

Closed Thread

Tags
edging, jollasoap, sailfish update