Active Topics

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
Look at this troll-baiting skimmer trying to flame. At least have a basic understanding of the material you reference before you call others idiots.
I apologize. I have no intention to offend anyone here or start a flame. I am one of the idiots I mentioned. Maybe it is just me that is frustrated.

I read the article and I understand your points. The fact remains that Jolla has to pay Microsoft to offer support for the filesystem. This is a filesystem that I can live without, but I believe that Jolla has to include it for them to be successful.

I love open source. I love all the hard working open source people here. I love all the people who really wanted the Jolla Tablet or bought it just to support Jolla.

I just hate the situation that Microsoft put us poor people in by copyrighting the crappy file system and making it a requirement for other systems to buy license for it. Microsoft accomplished this by not including the drivers for any other filesystem other than their own in their Operating Systems.

I don't believe there is a reasonable explanation to make it part SDXC standard, other than Microsoft control over the decision makers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
How about compatibility and suitability for removable storage media? As far as I know, f2fs is just about only other suitable FS out there to compete as journaling file systems with somewhat complex acl's are not the best pick for such application.

AFAIC, Jolla would do best to offer some alternative (but suitable) file system from GUI, perhaps even LUKS (don't know if it could be done in a way that allows including needed software for Windows to work with it) but to completely dismiss exFAT because of licensing issues (as if there were no other licenses in Jolla devices....).

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
And get your tablet via this link to sponsor my development-only tablet #testing #abusing #torturing
Referral (ab)used! (hopefully, as nowhere in the page seemed to mention that the link was a valid referral)

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Apparantly Jolla is adding new options to the campaign.
$279 for a Jolla phone if you already ordered the Tablet and a combo deal for $488.
It's just that I don't think these prices are really that extraordinary to draw in the crowd.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by n900user259 View Post
Apparantly Jolla is adding new options to the campaign.
$279 for a Jolla phone if you already ordered the Tablet and a combo deal for $488.
It's just that I don't think these prices are really that extraordinary to draw in the crowd.
I am glad they listened to my suggestion, but is should have come much earlier.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I hope they introduce a "Combo" perk:
Jolla Tablet + Phone

It might need some adjustments on countries' availability, but it would certainly extend the number of Jolla users, as p'eople will buy anything if it's crowdfunded
I don't think they need an extraordinary price to draw in the crowd - what they needed is to hook up people who like the tablet but never heard of the phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
I think that when you haven't heard of the phone you probably won't hear of the tablet.

But what I'm getting at is that Jolla already had several actions where the phone was $249. So how is $279 a great deal if you already ordered the tablet for $209 or less ($189/$199)?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
I think that when you haven't heard of the phone you probably won't hear of the tablet.
I strongly disagree.

This campaign was not only very well covered in mainstream media, it was also featured for days on the Indiegogo front page and it was the first result that would come up when searching for 'Indiegogo' on Google.

Not just that, it also appeared in the Twitter trending topics which is quite huge itself. I would say that most visitors on the campaign page were random people that had never heard of Jolla, MeeGo or anything like that.

Getting this crowd excited about a product could be turned into them buying another product (the phone), because as I said - people will still buy anything if it's crowdfunded

EDIT: And for the people who did hear about the phone - I can quite easily imagine them thinking "I heard about this thing a while ago and I didn't even know the company is still around. But with this huge crowdfunding success, I might give it a shot".

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Bruxelles

But what I'm getting at is that Jolla already had several actions where the phone was $249. So how is $279 a great deal if you already ordered the tablet for $209 or less ($189/$199)?
Never seen Jolla phone at 249$. You mean 249euro =306$
Edit: Jolla phone+tablet=397 euro , the same price like i paid only for phone in 2013

Last edited by b.cloanta; 2014-12-08 at 16:42.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to b.cloanta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by b.cloanta View Post
Never seen Jolla phone at 249$. You mean 249euro =306$
Edit: Jolla phone+tablet=397 euro , the same price like i paid only for phone in 2013
Ah, the sleepless nights of following indiegogo, kickstarter and related TMO threads have finally caught up with me.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I strongly disagree.

This campaign was not only very well covered in mainstream media, it was also featured for days on the Indiegogo front page and it was the first result that would come up when searching for 'Indiegogo' on Google.

Not just that, it also appeared in the Twitter trending topics which is quite huge itself. I would say that most visitors on the campaign page were random people that had never heard of Jolla, MeeGo or anything like that.

Getting this crowd excited about a product could be turned into them buying another product (the phone), because as I said - people will still buy anything if it's crowdfunded

EDIT: And for the people who did hear about the phone - I can quite easily imagine them thinking "I heard about this thing a while ago and I didn't even know the company is still around. But with this huge crowdfunding success, I might give it a shot".
I like your positive thinking but "regular" people don't go around and Google 'Indiegogo'.
Most visitors of the campaign random people? I really doubt it.
Yes this campaign was way better than what they did for the introduction of the phone but it was still done in a way that requires the target audience to be tech savvy.

Last edited by n900user259; 2014-12-08 at 20:06.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Noooooo...Just Ordered a Jolla tablet

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet