I went on a business trip last week. I was forced to take my work laptop, but I used it only when absolutely necessary. I wanted to use my N810 as much as possible. Here are the pros and cons.

PROS
1. I liked being able to pull it out at restaurants and airports to see if wifi was available. I could quickly and easily check email, even while walking through an airport. (For the record Amy's Ice Cream at AUS offers free wifi, otherwise it's all paid; SJC appears to be all paid; it's free throughout PHX.)
2. It's small and lasted much longer than my laptop between charges.
3. Much easier to use and then stow for take-off and landing than a laptop.

CONS
1. The GPS is useless! I was traveling with someone else. He had a GPS on his phone. By the time my N810 locked in we were already at our destination courtesy of his phone. I at times saw 8 to 10 satellites, but none of them green.
2. No wifi at my hotel meant I couldn't use my N810 there.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmayson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When I went on similar trips (e.g., Barcelona, Tallinn), my first priority was to see that there was an Internet connection where I was going. Now I would do the same for a wifi connection. (Some people carry a wireless router just to get wifi in their hotel room.)

I have an N800, so I don't know anything about the N810's GPS.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Solution for Con #2 is to bring a travel router that you can plug into a hotel's ethernet connection, like http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5079 or http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WGR101.../dp/B0002CWPV8

I carry a travel router. Those Linksys WRT54GCs are pretty good, a lot cheaper than the one with the integrated power supply and not significanly bigger or heavier.

As far as just doing business is concerned, I got more real work done with my handheld when I carried my Sony Clie. I could read and edit documents with Documents to Go, do some web browsing, even take the occasional audio or video note. I actually got fast enough with with Graffiti that could take notes in meetings.

Now, I carry a Lenovo X60 and my IT. I can't really take notes without my bluetooth keyboard, so I just open the X60 in meetings. Can't easily transfer documents back and forth either, so I just don't bother.

Don't get me wrong, I like my IT a lot - it's faster, has a lot more memory, and the web/email/IM experience is no comparison to the Clie. I just don't use it for business.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I still think the screen is too small for a business user to keep a proper eye out for typos and phrasing errors. For casual, less critical use, it's great. People are wanting 20 inch screens now -- they must think 5-inch screens are somehow not big enough.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
When Abiword (Chinook) is complete I will have a nearly complete solution. My D-Link travel router assures connectivity in hotels. I don't have issues with the screen size, and Notes and Xournal have been marginally sufficient for notetaking. I can bluetooth transfer files to my home Linux machine for editing in Openoffice. If I could connect to an LCD projector I'd be in hog heaven.

N800/OS2008

I always carry the AirPort Express, doubles as a USB charger.

Beware, the built-in GPS antenna is located next to the zoom buttons alone the top edge. For the fastest initial lock, hold the N810 vertically / perpendicular, the zoom button facing up towards sky, do not tilt the N810. Go to a clear area with most visibility of the sky and start you map application. The N810 should be able to lock down to your position in 15 sec on a clear day. Longer if it is cloudy. Once the N810 has your initial position, you can tilt the screen so you can read it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dchao For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
I always carry the AirPort Express, doubles as a USB charger.

Beware, the built-in GPS antenna is located next to the zoom buttons alone the top edge. For the fastest initial lock, hold the N810 vertically / perpendicular, the zoom button facing up towards sky, do not tilt the N810. Go to a clear area with most visibility of the sky and start you map application. The N810 should be able to lock down to your position in 15 sec on a clear day. Longer if it is cloudy. Once the N810 has your initial position, you can tilt the screen so you can read it.
Wow this really worked, I had given up on the GPS as useless but tilting the unit and not holding it with both hands made my lockon time go from 5 minutes to about 60 seconds.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Solution for Con #2 is to bring a travel router that you can plug into a hotel's ethernet connection, like http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=5079 or http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WGR101.../dp/B0002CWPV8
Or get a USB ethernet adapter... jolouis is going to be selling some soon, so if you haven't got your host-mode dongle yet, you might look at that bundle. (Details on the NIC are in the N800 thread, but there's also a N810 thread, I believe (but am not certain) that he's currently selling a 2-piece N810 dongle.)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
"Business use" is such a broad term. Sure, I can't see myself composing policy documents or working on advanced spreadsheets on the tablets, but I did a proof-of-concept a while back for using the N800 as a production auditing tool and found it to be almost perfect (only shortcoming was the lack of RFID and bar code scanning at the time, which was not a showstopper). So there's one example of ideal business use. I'm sure there are many others.