Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
No news is good news!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
On that regard investor withdrawing does seem a bit odd compared to previous financing rounds where commercial success was even further away.
There was Asian stock market crash this year. Could it be that the main investor is also having some kind of funding issues by itself?

Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Still waiting for a prototype even, we were supposed to see it released by now.
Why would Intex show a prototype to you before release?

Maemo?
How relevant OS it is today? How many devices are running it and how far it has developed since from the Nokia days?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by att View Post
There was Asian stock market crash this year. Could it be that the main investor is also having some kind of funding issues by itself?
Dude, I think the investor is Russian.

https://about.me/GrigoryBerezkin

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-26 at 16:08.

So, they were looking for partners for developing and distributing devices with an OS which is developed by a small company which could go down the drains by any moment, leaving the OS development totally stalled? In the light of the current situation, i cannot see how this model could possibly attract any hardware partners trust.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
For folks who are interested, here's the log for the latest Sailfish community meeting:

http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-m...14.30.log.html

Items of particular interest to me:
  • The newly slimmed-down Jolla does seem to be stable, which bodes well both for surviving long enough to accept a last-chance round of financing (should that happen), as well as being around long enough to perform last-minute tasks to spin off Sailfish to the community (if that gets approved).
  • The Indiegogo campaign was run from Jolla's Hong Kong office, because there are issues with donating to corporations in Finland. (Something I hadn't heard before.)
  • Probably the biggest sticking point with any community-based support is going to be (no surprise) dealing with closed-source elements of Sailfish (especially third-party closed-source items). Lots of discussion on this point, but it's in the hands of the investors.

Looks like meetings are going to continue to be held weekly for a while longer, so next meeting is next week...

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-11-26 at 19:08.

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I honestly find the notion that the decisions of wealthy investors might be affected by a few people ranting on the internets to be quite ludicrous. If that were all it took to change the ways of capital, the world would be a very different place.
I'm not sure if the “few” complaints on the internet would have much effect on investors. If you were a potential investor for a product that has already seen multiple delays in production, would you not be hesitant in handing over your money?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Hi,

here is a thought from somebody that knows plenty of the Jolla folks:

If you are thinking about the continuation of Jolla, then take a look at the facts on who is still around. In reality, all key contributors have left already or will leave in the near future. Here is a list:
Marc Dillon, Co-Founder & COO (former Maemo Variant Manager): Gone
Carsten Munk, Head of R&D (Former MeeGo developer): Gone
Valerio Valerio, Chief Software Engineer (former Maemo contributor): Gone
Souyma Bijjal, Head of SDK (former Maemo SDK program manager): Gone
Stefano Mosconi, Founder&CIO (former Maemo IT Manager): Leaving
Annikka Hautamäki, Chief Products Officer (former Maemo Product Manager): leaving
Pekka Itäpelto, Head of Business Development (former Nokia consultant): Gone
Tim McDonald, Marketing Director (former nokia.com design lead): Gone
Mikko Pykkö, VP Sales&Marketing (former Nokia sales director): leaving

Does anybody truly believe that Jolla will continue without these guys?

The only two guys "left" are Antti Saarnio and Sami Pienimäki who are already working on their next "adventure".

Jolla was a very ambitious project, maybe too good to be true. I personally believe that something like Sailfish OS will one day happen just like Linux takes over gradually more of the computing world. But Jolla? Well, the last word hasn't been spoken, but it won't be long until then.

Peter (former Head of Maemo Marketing, Host of Maemo Summit Amsterdam)
There are a few more people than you were mentioning, but yeah, these were some of the most prominent people. But the company would still be operational without them. It remains to be seen who remains in the company if Jolla survived, and who may return.

However, all share the same intention, that SailfishOS must survive, whatever will happen to Jolla.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
For folks who are interested, here's the log for the latest Sailfish community meeting:

http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-m...14.30.log.html

Items of particular interest to me:
  • The newly slimmed-down Jolla does seem to be stable, which bodes well both for surviving to long enough to accept a last-chance round of financing (should that happen), as well as being around long enough to perform last-minute tasks to spin off Sailfish to the community (if that gets approved).
  • The Indiegogo campaign was run from Jolla's Hong Kong office, because there are issues with donating to corporations in Finland. (Something I hadn't heard before.)
  • Probably the biggest sticking point with any community-based support is going to be (no surprise) dealing with closed-source elements of Sailfish (especially third-party closed-source items). Lots of discussion on this point, but it's in the hands of the investors.

Looks like meetings are going to continue to be held weekly for a while longer, so next meeting is next week...
What about the tablet?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What about the tablet?
What about it?

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund