Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I agree on all what you say, except for the part "This was a scam, though" since this exactly was not a scam. A scam in my books is when somebody does not deliver because of malicious intent; all that could be done to save the project was done and people really put their best effort on it. Failure was due to external influences that coluld not be mitigated.
I'm not overly bothered about their emotions or the way they retrospectively frame their intent, the fact is that their paychecks got cut, but I didn't get a tablet. That's a scam. That money went from my pocket, was laundered through a crowdfunding site, was issued in a check to their employees, and went to their respective landlords. The fact that they went back to the well again and again demolishes any positive framing that I could possibly rationalize. I would be shocked if anyone would invest to pay off all of that old debt, unless they were expecting hockey stick growth (which no one in their right mind would expect.)

If I get the money back, that would be nice; but if I don't it's just a reminder that other people have different ethical standards, to the point that they can rip me off, spend the money on themselves, and honestly feel like victims of circumstance at the same time.

It doesn't do me any good to whine about it, and in the grand scheme of things it's a small amount of money, so I'm probably never going to post about it again. I am annoyed by the constant personal attacks on Dave999 for calling it as he sees it, and as I see it. I am entertained by his complete imperviousness to the criticism, and that he still manages to keep the mood light. If this were a board game being crowdfunded, and it didn't ship because all of the money went to the game developer's mortgage, nobody would have a problem recognising that there was a serious ethical breech here.

At the least, open source the work. Is that still in the cards? I remember reading a log of one of their crisis meetings that mentioned the possibility.

pichlo, I haven't moved on any more than if somebody robbed me in the street for $200, and your personal insults demean the entire thread.

I have just received a notification from Paypal that I got a payment from Jolla Asia Limited for "This is the 1st half of your refund amount.".

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by alex25 View Post
I have just received a notification from Paypal that I got a payment from Jolla Asia Limited for "This is the 1st half of your refund amount.".
Same here!

Got the mail, still no money but expect them to show up any second now.

I want to thank Jolla for realizing that refund was the only options in this scam and also want thank everyone here that supported the free choice for the supporters. We couldn't have pulled this off without eachother. Let's hope you all get your money soon...er!

We're now half way and I'm looking forward to dance with You all in this thread until mission is completed.

Cheers!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-05-17 at 09:51.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Same here!

Got the mail, still no money but expect them to show up any second now.

I want to thank Jolla for realizing that refund was the only options in this scam and also want thank everyone here that supported the free choice for the supporters. We couldn't have pulled this off without eachother. Let's hope you all get your money soon...er!

We're now half way and I'm looking forward to dance with You all in this thread until mission is completed.

Cheers!
Congrats dave, this is a big day

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
I got three separate refunds (apparently for tablet, Lastu case and tablet upgrade), each one half of the original payments.

Originally Posted by pharmakon View Post
I'm not overly bothered about their emotions or the way they retrospectively frame their intent, the fact is that their paychecks got cut, but I didn't get a tablet. That's a scam. That money went from my pocket, was laundered through a crowdfunding site, was issued in a check to their employees, and went to their respective landlords. The fact that they went back to the well again and again demolishes any positive framing that I could possibly rationalize. I would be shocked if anyone would invest to pay off all of that old debt, unless they were expecting hockey stick growth (which no one in their right mind would expect.)
Yeah, what Jolla should have done instead is put the IGG funds on hold and file for bankruptcy couple of months earlier. Makes perfect sense.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Got the first half of the refund to my PayPal account :-) (tablet and case
the refund for the 64GB upgrade is missing though ... )

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Yes, but what about the other half?

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Congrats Dave!!

On the other hand, if Dave got his 2nd half refund, we will lose quite some fun on TMO…

And less scams on this planet.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
So is everyone getting a refund notice? I have not heard a word.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund