Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by teroyk View Post
source code is not documentation!
What a shame that I can thank you only once. You deserve a thousand thanks for that quote alone!
(And I am writing that from the position of a software developer.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What a shame that I can thank you only once. You deserve a thousand thanks for that quote alone!
(And I am writing that from the position of a software developer.)
All my code is self-documenting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Yes, I have seen a few of those. Those are the worst.
"My code is self-documenting' = "I cannot be arsed to write a proper documentation"

I have not seen your code yet though so yours might be an exception to the rule..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, I have seen a few of those. Those are the worst.
"My code is self-documenting' = "I cannot be arsed to write a proper documentation"
That would be the correct translation of that statement. Although I'm not sure those guys are the worst or the guys with the unreadable code with one comment per line to compensate.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Wayyy off topic, but,
hopefully the documentation is embedded in the source code.
Not merely self-documented but sufficiently explaining
both code and context.

Self-documenting code does not have the depth to explain
what the big picture is.

I just had the pleasure of rewriting a failed extension
(someone elses abandonware)
to PHPBB and my head still hurts from chasing dead ends.

The reasoning is:
source code with documentation somewhere else
too easily becomes source code without documentation.
I have seen far too many examples of perfectly good code
incorrectly described by external, dated, documentation.
Keeping documentation inline means it keeps
responsibility for update tied to the actual code.

Just my two bits

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2016-05-29 at 05:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
Wayyy off topic, but,
I insist the documentation be embedded in the source code.
Not merely self-documented but thoroughly explained.
Complete lack of documentation on an abandonware project that was utilized for a major project (decision made before I got there) was the biggest reason behind why I switched to my other degree and stopped programming.

Most programmers write **** code. Their comments, even more ****. And lack of documentation is a major issue and I'd rather have it done in a more thorough way.

Yes, this has become way off topic. Nokia being sold off in large pieces by Microsoft... second to code documentation. Noted.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
It must be a few years since I posted on here, it's great to see a few still contributing.

Someone offered me an N900 in decent condition for about 50 euro, it got me wondering in what state the repositories are in, or who is running them now.

Anyway, back on topic. Did anyone really think anything other than what's happened was going to happen?

Nokia's failings had nothing to do with Microsoft.. it was a dying animal way before they got involved. They just didn't have the vision to pick the bones and hit back with something that people would have wanted.

I honestly think if someone could make a more refined version of the N900, bigger better screen, better battery (probably most important), a current camera and an idiot mode app market.. even the 2009 maemo os would still wipe the floor with most devices out there.

Nokia won't be making any new phones by the way, they will be licensing their name and patents.

Any company wishing to build an android device with the nokia brand, will have to meet a certain design requirement but that really could be anything.

How many of you still use an N900?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
It must be a few years since I posted on here, it's great to see a few still contributing.

Someone offered me an N900 in decent condition for about 50 euro, it got me wondering in what state the repositories are in, or who is running them now.

Anyway, back on topic. Did anyone really think anything other than what's happened was going to happen?

Nokia's failings had nothing to do with Microsoft.. it was a dying animal way before they got involved. They just didn't have the vision to pick the bones and hit back with something that people would have wanted.

I honestly think if someone could make a more refined version of the N900, bigger better screen, better battery (probably most important), a current camera and an idiot mode app market.. even the 2009 maemo os would still wipe the floor with most devices out there.

Nokia won't be making any new phones by the way, they will be licensing their name and patents.

Any company wishing to build an android device with the nokia brand, will have to meet a certain design requirement but that really could be anything.

How many of you still use an N900?
And now the idiots of idiots asking for idiots app to work on their 'amazing' os
no alien dalvik bla...bla...bla...complain...
no native apps bla bla bla....complain...

Seriously the best os without proper ecosystem?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
And now the idiots of idiots asking for idiots app to work on their 'amazing' os
no alien dalvik bla...bla...bla...complain...
no native apps bla bla bla....complain...

Seriously the best os without proper ecosystem?
Personally I didn't see any problem with the way it was. My comments are more based towards how it could have been made more public friendly.

At the end of the day, if lots more people had bought the phone, we could well be all using 5th generation N900's right now and those who may have needed certain aspects dumbed down to begin with would have gotten used to using xterminal

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Faustino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
Personally I didn't see any problem with the way it was. My comments are more based towards how it could have been made more public friendly.

At the end of the day, if lots more people had bought the phone, we could well be all using 5th generation N900's right now and those who may have needed certain aspects dumbed down to begin with would have gotten used to using xterminal
blame who? nokia aka creator or anything else?

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post: