Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
A slight warning... OQO Model 03 has nothing to do with the prior Model 01, 01+ and 02. The Intel Atom based 02+ did leak out to some in the forums. I had a chance to get one, decided against it but did own the 01 and 02.

But the Model 03 is invariably a Chinese fake. Most of that community shunned them; I would suggest you do the same.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
A slight warning... OQO Model 03 has nothing to do with the prior Model 01, 01+ and 02. The Intel Atom based 02+ did leak out to some in the forums. I had a chance to get one, decided against it but did own the 01 and 02.

But the Model 03 is invariably a Chinese fake. Most of that community shunned them; I would suggest you do the same.
That's what I read on the wiki, but I just take it with a grain of salt as any other company.
So which one are they referring to, if not the model 3, when they talk about running linux on it?
Also, what was your overall user experience on it?

The Following User Says Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
The thing that is saddening to me about this thread is that there is no good answer. Especially if you note the title is asking about best device in 2016. As far as I can tell there is nothing new out there. Most of the devices mentioned are 5 to 10 years old unless you go the android route and chroot a linux distro. You might as well just buy another N900. It may still be the best option depending on what you want to do. Perhaps have an android device around to round out functionality.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x_Blaze.It.Beau_x View Post
That's what I read on the wiki, but I just take it with a grain of salt as any other company.
So which one are they referring to, if not the model 3, when they talk about running linux on it?
The 01/01+ had the Transmeta processor, which was pretty horrible for all but browsing. It did not run Linux well due to driver issues. I had attempted to run Linux on the 01+, but it was just frustratingly slow.

I did manage to get it up, running and at the proper resolution even on the 02. Xorg on the OQO 02 was just painful but some of the folks over at OQOasis (dead forum now) had created an awesome ISO and it worked like a charm for all but the 3G (or was it GPRS? Really starting to forget) versions (E2 IIRC).

The 03, people pre-ordered, never received most of theirs, if any (sounds familiar). I held in my hands on more than one occasion the 02+ which had the Intel Atom and a better screen, a few even leaked out to eBay for prices that were incredibly too high. I opted against buying one even at a reasonable price once offered.

Also, what was your overall user experience on it?
The batteries on those things were susceptible to losing huge amounts of charging capability over short periods of time. They were slow due to the hard drive and SSD's were still very expensive back then. Linux was iffy, and don't ever update some parts of it - you'd lose video. The stylus was awesome, no battery needed. The screen, a bit spongy (due to how it was built) and there was a few other issues that marred its experience.

Overall, I had them for a short period, sold them on eBay for a seriously high price. But it did not do what I needed out of the box. Even in Windows after I optimized the services.

I loved the form factor, wish it had been re-approached with modern components though.

And for the record, I liked my N810 more than my OQO 02, but that size and form factor was tops in my book.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
The keyboard is not good, but is nice to see creative uses of Raspberry Pi Zero :
Ben Heck's Raspberry Pi Zero Portable Computer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko7eNx0zAuI
Does anybody tried to place Raspberry Pi Zero inside a Nokia N800/N810/N900 ? Like preserving the keyboard and screen, but changing the main board ?
something like Nokia N800/N900 with Raspberry Pi
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2016-07-08 at 23:48.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
The keyboard is not good, but is nice to see creative uses of Raspberry Pi Zero :

Does anybody tried to place Raspberry Pi Zero inside a Nokia N800/N810/N900 ? Like preserving the keyboard and screen, but changing the main board ?
This needs to happen!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I'm not convinced the RPiZero is more powerful nor open than the N8x0, not to mention the N900. The RPi1 wasn't -- I tried to compile stuff on it and remember exasperating.

The N8x0, however lack an "usable" 3D accelerator. Sadly we could never get anywhere other than some blinkenlights with the MBX driver.

Last edited by javispedro; 2016-07-09 at 03:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I'm not convinced the RPiZero is more powerful nor open than the N8x0, not to mention the N900. The RPi1 wasn't -- I tried to compile stuff on it and remember exasperating.

The N8x0, however lack an "usable" 3D accelerator. Sadly we could never get anywhere other than some blinkenlights with the MBX driver.
The N810 & N900 weren't open. I think it's high time we stop even suggesting that... it's mostly a lie or whim at best. I remember that issue with the 3D accelerator, lack of drivers and unwillingness to supply them. Feh! Same for the BME - open only if you're still delusional.

And for the record, I don't mean in comparison to Apple or Google mobile OS's. This forum was notorious about stating that Maemo was open. Parts were. But not all of it. And comparing it to other stuff such as "it's more open than X, Y or Z" is a simple deflection.

Maemo and all of their devices were just not fully open at all. Period. And who said it was? This forum said it many times over. It just doesn't make it true. Not one bit.

</rant>

Oh well, mscion stated it perfectly earlier. Sadly there's no answer in all of this thread as to what's the best handheld Linux device. Now that part truly sucks. Sure, some older options that originally had Windows on it are perhaps an option; there's nothing directly in this sector that's shipping today and will have support tomorrow it seems.

Last edited by gerbick; 2016-07-09 at 03:43.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sadly there's no answer in all of this thread as to what's the best handheld Linux device. Now that part truly sucks. Sure, some older options that originally had Windows on it are perhaps an option; there's nothing directly in this sector that's shipping today and will have support tomorrow it seems.
This is very sad, indeed..
This niche needs to be revisited.
The Mobile Desktop craze needs to be revived!

Ever since smartphones became the 'must-have' device..creativity/spontanaity went pretty dull when it comes to design..

As of now...I'm probably gonna get a GPD win when they come out and I see video reviews..
I'd post one here if anyone is interested.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
As much as I want something great from Raspberry Pi..
I cant bear to take my nit apart..and replace what made it great in the first place.
I don't think it's worth it.
The n810 is nearly a decade old...

I'm no expert. But could one connect to Raspberry Pi with vnc on a nit?

The Following User Says Thank You to x_Blaze.It.Beau_x For This Useful Post:
Sadly the Rasberry Pi has nearly no powermanagement and draws nearly 0.5W even in idle.
For comparison N900 draws 0.035W in idle.

Maybe an edison in the battery slot instead of the leather and a bigger Battery in the mugen cover.

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...9&postcount=25

enables x86 Software (like a Browser) too and better powermanagement (hopefully).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pythoneye2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy