Active Topics

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Had a tough decision today that the extra battery will be removed.

To ensure keyboard comfortness, there is only two ways adding a secondary battery:

- Adding an extra layer as a battery, which will add 4mm thickness to overall. (And will make overall thickness reaches 20mm
- Adding small batteries on the area between edge of keyboard to the edge of device, which means very small capacity and reduce keyboard area, not worth.

After overall consideration "for now" battery will be removed.

Update: I would rather not mention any battery at this stage until real feel after prototyping!

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-02-27 at 13:41.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Opinions differ but as far as I am concerned, 20mm vs 16mm - not much difference. The extra battery capacity and most importantly the extra weight at the bottom part would more than compensate for the additional 4mm.

The main reason I ended up parting with my TOHKBD2 was that the overall assembly was poorly balanced. Way too top heavy, with a very light and thin keyboard and a heavy main body with the screen above it. You are heading in exactly the same direction.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Opinions differ but as far as I am concerned, 20mm vs 16mm - not much difference. The extra battery capacity and most importantly the extra weight at the bottom part would more than compensate for the additional 4mm.

The main reason I ended up parting with my TOHKBD2 was that the overall assembly was poorly balanced. Way too top heavy, with a very light and thin keyboard and a heavy main body with the screen above it. You are heading in exactly the same direction.
The problem of TOHKBD is not only thin, but also keyboard depth.

On the current design keyboard part is already 6-7mm. It not that thin.

With the keyboard as "add-on", it's always the problem that top is too heavy. Plus considering the connectors, it will probably be between 21-22 mm, will it scare a lot people off?

A quick fix will be doing both versions. It's all depending on the prototyping, which will happen after Moto deliver some key connector parts...

Edit: I will have more research with design team! Pichlo's point actually makes sense, people adding keyboard won't care too much on thickness. Let's wait to see the feeling of prototype. This will be decided later! (I tend to keep battery myself)

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-02-27 at 13:52.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Very nice and professional looking! Are there ports of Sailfish for Moto Z? Also, has a price been announced? Thanks!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
The battery option will be on hold now until prototyping is done. I won't mention on IGG campaign at this stage...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I am very interested in a keyboard for fast typing. Did you investigate about the aspects that lead to fast typing speed? I noticed that tactile feedback and pressure should be fit together, also important is the space between the keys. The keys should be at least flat. On your pictures the keys in my opinion have too little space between each other and they are slightly curved in the wrong direction.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Just about to finish all draft the campaign work. I'm excited.

I hope the super early bird price won't disappoint you, again this is a commercial product and certified. This is really the lowest I can make at this point.

We have improved some engineering work for the battery, now it is only 3mm thinker than the non-battery. And I hope device can be chunky enough that user feel solid in hand. (Well I hope at least pichlo do)
Attached Images

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
too little space between each other and they are slightly curved in the wrong direction.
Remember this is a 5.5 inch... The keys are very big compared with old sliders.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
We have improved some engineering work for the battery, now it is only 3mm thinker than the non-battery. And I hope device can be chunky enough that user feel solid in hand. (Well I hope at least pichlo do)
Nice!

Will there be a battery version available on the campaign?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brunelli For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Remember this is a 5.5 inch... The keys are very big compared with old sliders.
I guess you missed my request for mm specification some pages back
Or did i miss your answer?

It would be possible to do a pdf that prints out in real life size and could be cut to a mockup so people who have concernes with sizes can have a little foretaste.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love