Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
[disclaimer: I have been away from TMO for over half a year and just learned about ReadyFx]

I do understand that the average Joe wants the GMS and it's a valid commercial choice to include them by default.

I really think that Fairphone really got that thing right. By default Fairphone ships with a GMS-enabled version of Android, but there's also an official free-software ROM to flash.
Alternatively, you could just provide an extra flashable zip to flash on top of the free-software ROM to <s>up</s>downgrade it to the GMS-enabled version, the way LineageOS does it.

Maybe ReadyFx could also go that way?
Hey Marmistrz, welcome back

Not sure if you went through the whole thread, but I think, Chen mentioned a few times that he plans on getting hardware to sailfish, ubport, plasma mobile groups and possibly others. So this shouldn't be a big concern.

However it will have android binary blobs to support hardware components, like GPU and etc. That's my understanding. Only the purism phone and a few other smaller project are trying to do hardware with out the blobs. Even gemini does the same.

I'm not a fan, but the hope is the more these types of project that come out and are successful the more likely the devices will meet all our wish could appear

This is a very exciting device, with many compromise ... but I so glade it might be coming soon. I'll celebrate when it actually ship and we get some review . But I may get it and run sailfish till maemoL is working well. Then I'll have hard choices ... fav OS vs modern one.

Cheers

x

Last edited by xman; 2019-01-26 at 23:10.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Quotes from Chen
We chose a notch-less screen with an 18:9 aspect ratio, and minimal bezels. Our device's footprint is smaller than most other 6-inch 18:9 phones, like the Nokia 7 Plus or Moto Z3. This doesn’t just reduce physical size, it also improves the typing experience.
It's a 18:9 ratio in 6", in another word it's the same panel as a 5.4-5.5" screen in 16:9. The screen is bigger due to less bezels. In measurements the device is quite narrower and slightly shorter than the Moto Z2 Play.
Thinking this way, it's a 5.4" of the traditional 16:9 ratio.
P.S: Being quite smaller than the Xperia XA2 Plus, which quite some users are happily using SFOS upon.

Xperia 157 x 75 x 9.6 mm
Z2 Play 156.2 x 76.2 x 6 mm
Moto Z 153.3 x 75.3 x 5.2 mm
Galaxy S7 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm
Sharp Aquos 131 x 67 x 10 mm
I don't know what "quite narrower" means, but hopefully the device is as small as possible. I've never ventured past 5 inch 16:9 phones because they're already the max size I can handle.

I think Chen also said it's smaller than the Moto Z, so I think my estimations are accurate. Roughly 150x70x10. Push for smaller Chen, PLEASE! @chenliangchen I would be very impressed if the device is under 70mm wide and under 150mm tall, that would be a feat. Thickness I don't mind too much, I know the keyboard will take some space

I also included the dimensions for the Galaxy S7 and the Sharp Aquos for comparison. Those are true compact phones in today's market

Last edited by gtmaster303; 2019-01-26 at 21:37.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Last newsletter was 1/16
I know I'm obsessed...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Quotes from Chen
We chose a notch-less screen with an 18:9 aspect ratio, and minimal bezels. Our device's footprint is smaller than most other 6-inch 18:9 phones, like the Nokia 7 Plus or Moto Z3. This doesn’t just reduce physical size, it also improves the typing experience.
It's a 18:9 ratio in 6", in another word it's the same panel as a 5.4-5.5" screen in 16:9. The screen is bigger due to less bezels. In measurements the device is quite narrower and slightly shorter than the Moto Z2 Play.
Thinking this way, it's a 5.4" of the traditional 16:9 ratio.
P.S: Being quite smaller than the Xperia XA2 Plus, which quite some users are happily using SFOS upon.

Xperia 157 x 75 x 9.6 mm
Z2 Play 156.2 x 76.2 x 6 mm
Moto Z 153.3 x 75.3 x 5.2 mm
Galaxy S7 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm
Sharp Aquos 131 x 67 x 10 mm
I don't know what "quite narrower" means, but hopefully the device is as small as possible. I've never ventured past 5 inch 16:9 phones because they're already the max size I can handle.

I think Chen also said it's smaller than the Moto Z, so I think my estimations are accurate. Roughly 150x70x10. Push for smaller Chen, PLEASE! @chenliangchen I would be very impressed if the device is under 70mm wide and under 150mm tall, that would be a feat. Thickness I don't mind too much, I know the keyboard will take some space

I also included the dimensions for the Galaxy S7 and the Sharp Aquos for comparison. Those are true compact phones in today's market
Adding best QWERTY slider ever since it was truly nice size,
X10 Mini pro compact QWERTY slider 3.5 × 2.0 × 0.7 inches
X10 Mini without landscape slider 3.3 × 2.0 × 0.6 inches

Maybe time for a compact mini Fx chen phone next maybe ?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
If you have followed the newsletters, it was stated that they hired ex Nokia designers who previously worked on the E7, N97 and the N950.
So they know what they are designing.
This device has indeed been in development for over a year now. Just because some things are arising, doesn't mean that they just started the development.

Btw, good to see you again Wikiwide!
Ex-Nokia designers are responsible for slider mechanism, which is very nice.

Nevertheless, my question is about PCB design (and FCC/whatever certification). Going by my experience with SayGus V2, Neo900 and DragonBox Pyra, it takes more than a year or two to have the whole device delivered to customer. Therefore, I am curious about the promise of release in Q1 2019 - is the phone based on some previous work/phone/prototype, thus speeding up the release?

Thank you for welcome :-) I am idling a lot.

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
The keyboard part doesn't need any certifications. I think they are more about the wireless part (Wifi, Bluetooth, GSM).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astaoth For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
The keyboard part doesn't need any certifications. I think they are more about the wireless part (Wifi, Bluetooth, GSM).
Not the whole truth.

The chassis and mechanism affect the RF behaviour of the device; the antennas need to be designed against that, it is different when one has an unibody model.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Ex-Nokia designers are responsible for slider mechanism, which is very nice.

Nevertheless, my question is about PCB design (and FCC/whatever certification). Going by my experience with SayGus V2, Neo900 and DragonBox Pyra, it takes more than a year or two to have the whole device delivered to customer. Therefore, I am curious about the promise of release in Q1 2019 - is the phone based on some previous work/phone/prototype, thus speeding up the release?

Thank you for welcome :-) I am idling a lot.

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...
You should not compare home/kitchen projects with this one. Projects like the Pyra are done in free time and only by a few people.
The F(x) is a whole team. It is not comparable with vaporware like the Neo900. If you work hard, you can achieve good results with a limited time frame (see for example the GPD)

Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
seems to me that it's based (partly) on moto mod development. and it was developed already till prototype phase. so not a big deal to add a PCB and a screen above the moto mod case lol.
You really have no idea what you're talking about don't you....?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
You should not compare home/kitchen projects with this one. Projects like the Pyra are done in free time and only by a few people.
The F(x) is a whole team. It is not comparable with vaporware like the Neo900. If you work hard, you can achieve good results with a limited time frame (see for example the GPD)

You really have no idea what you're talking about don't you....?
Care to explain a bit more so we can know what we are talking about here. What team? Appox how big? How hard are they working compated to garage project? What kind off support do they have? Do they have external funding? What time frame did GPD worked with? What kind of connection do they have to youYota? Friends, colleagues, same city? Same country?

Do they even have a product?

I have absolutely no idea any of that.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-01-28 at 13:57.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Care to explain a bit more so we can know what we are talking about here. What team? Appox how big? How hard are they working compated to garage project? What kind off support do they have? Do they have external funding? What time frame did GPD worked with? What kind of connection do they have to youYota? Friends, colleagues, same city? Same country?lähettiin

Do they even have a product?
Very good questions @dave. Having created a previous product could be seen as a bonus.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit