Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/04/1...or-the-iphone/

So the iPhone (<spit!>) apparently got HWR. But before y'all run out and buy the thing, have a good look at it, because it's almost the same cr*p we have on our Itablets (which also have proper capitalisation, danggit!): Text input in a separate input window, extreme modality (letters and numbers), no cursivity, no proper word recognition (the spacebar is testimony of that) and, of course, no stylus.

Kudos for having the balls to write this in the first place (Jobs'll have a right fit) but please, don't call it "Newton-style HWR", 'cuz that's just plain lying.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Karel, you're a secret admirer of the iPhone\iTouch.. aren't you???

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Karel, you're a secret admirer of the iPhone\iTouch.. aren't you???
I'm apparently on the official Apple "Not Ever Allowed to Buy One, Like" list.

It's a really short list...

That said, if ParaGraph (or, in a pinch, Inkwell) were ever ported to that thing, I would find a way to get one.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
LOL! I'm sure they're doing it for your safety, mate. The constant spit around apple product must be a real electrocution hazard

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Notice, of course, that it was developed for CJK input... for which it makes more sense than any conceivable alternative on those machines. (Since the iTouch doesn't have a mic for speech transcription.)

It appears that you write a word at a time, not a letter at a time... so it is somewhat different, and I'm not at all sure which approach is better. But I know a stylus is better for legible writing than a BFF. So if you have an iThing, get this. (I think it'll work; it's designed for laptop capacitive touchpads.)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
In a more interesting twist: how exactly are you supposed to "fingerwrite"?

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
In a more interesting twist: how exactly are you supposed to "fingerwrite"?
especially w/big ol' fat fingers like mine. some say thick, i just say fat.

The Following User Says Thank You to brecklundin For This Useful Post:
Surprisingly, the best HWR I've used was on a Tablet PC a few years ago. I am really impressed with MS' implementation (omg nooo). The Newton was definitely before my time but I remember it when I was just getting into computers. Just as I started to appreciate it, its last model 2100 came out.

Frankly, on a device the size of an iPhone (<love!>), HWR would seem a bit rough... and considering how effective their on screen keyboard is, I don't see Apple getting around to it.

I'd love a 5 or 7 inch "iTablet" with the same OS as the iPods, a meatier processor and license MS' ink tech.

The Following User Says Thank You to sherifnix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I'd love a 5 or 7 inch "iTablet" with the same OS as the iPods, a meatier processor and license MS' ink tech.
Why? :\ They have their own (better) HWR leftover from the Newton (Inkwell in OS X).

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Surprisingly, the best HWR I've used was on a Tablet PC a few years ago. I am really impressed with MS' implementation (omg nooo). The Newton was definitely before my time but I remember it when I was just getting into computers. Just as I started to appreciate it, its last model 2100 came out.
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Microsoft's "implementation" is a licensed, cut-down and dumbed-down version of PhatWare's Calligrapher, which itself is PenOffice's little sibling.

Or are they still bundling CIC's Jot (the horror! the horror!!!) with tablet XP?