Poll: If only two out of four possible keys are included in the lower-case keyboard, which
Poll Options
If only two out of four possible keys are included in the lower-case keyboard, which

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
OK, a shameless bump! Any more poll-takers?

Hey, also, anybody know what to do with the results, like is there any way to let Nokia know that we would like them to make a different choice for these keys on the keyboard in the next OS release?

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Yeah. I use - a lot more than +. And _ more than =.

While they are at it, get rid of the "En" key and give us back the Caps!!! We can change the Text Input using the Control Panel!
Somehow, I've managed to get a '-' instead of a '=' on my virtual keyboard. I'm really not sure how it happened, but I think I may have selected UK keyboard vice a US keyboard?

In any case, I have '-' and '+' both showing on the keyboard when I use it.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following User Says Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Somehow, I've managed to get a '-' instead of a '=' on my virtual keyboard. I'm really not sure how it happened, but I think I may have selected UK keyboard vice a US keyboard?

In any case, I have '-' and '+' both showing on the keyboard when I use it.
I'll be darned! Switching to the UK EN keyboard gave me, not a '-' and a '+' but a '-' and a '='. Not bad! Also gets the '_' into Upper Case instead of Symbol. Lost some stuff, no doubt, not sure what yet. But I'm going British!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
woot, UK ftw :P

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Derby, UK
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
There is a rather trivial aspect to the onscreen keyboard that always irks me. The lower-case keyboard -- which is what everyone uses primarily -- has a "+" key and an "=" key, but you have to move to Upper Case if you want to type a "-" . Well, I'm often having to change case just for the darn "-".
The problem with this poll is that it ignores the keyboard language chosen by the user. I notice that you are US based so I guess that you've selected 'English (USA)' as the keyboard language. If you switch to 'English (UK)' you will get a different result - one that includes '-' and '=' in the lower case.

If you experiment with different languages you will see a lot of variation. Since you can choose two languages to switch between, it might be worth including both UK and US so just a single tap on 'En' to flip between the different layouts.

Well, I got fancy and just copied the /usr/share/keyboards/en_UK.vkb file to /usr/share/en_US.vkb.

When I rebooted, I could only do handwriting, so don't do that.

desiv
p.s. I made a copy first, so I could go back.

What a poll. Why not ask "Would you rather beat your wife or beat your kids?" (in a game of cards). OF COURSE I want a full 102 key ASCII keyboard with function keys F1 - F12. Duh.

ASCII keyboard?
Beats an EBCDIC keyboard, I guess.

My on-screen kbd is set so that I can switch between my own locale and UK English, and in UK English mode I get the '-', just as I want it. In my own locale I get '-' as well, on the letter keys instead of the numeric keypad, which is fine. Now, the major reason I need the UK English kbd at all is that the '|' (pipe) sign is missing from my own locale kbd! Argh! Those designers must start to realize what kind of letters are wanted on a *nix-based system.