Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Snohomish, WA
got one of these on rebate at buy.com:

http://www.buy.com/prod/powermonkey-...206229850.html

works phenomenally well and the solar unit actually works to power up the battery. Reviews have been very positive for this. Comes with the Nokia tip but also includes a USB plug tip so it will work with anything that charges via USB.

The Following User Says Thank You to znutar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by znutar View Post

works phenomenally well and the solar unit actually works to power up the battery. Reviews have been very positive for this. Comes with the Nokia tip but also includes a USB plug tip so it will work with anything that charges via USB.
You can't fool everybody, znutar! You live in Snohomish and you're telling us how well a solar charger works!! But you need the sun for that!!

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
....At least if you're using fanoush's boot menu, you need to make sure you haven't selected that last option, the one about being off with no charger plugged in. I used that one the first time with my IOGear battery pack and it managed to drain the battery pack and at the same time not increase the charge in my N800.
No. I am using Fanoush's boot menu, but I did not choose the last option "...no charger plugged". my 2X AA external charger cannot wake up the N800, it gives a screen of "...hold menu to get boot menu...". It does wake up the 770 though. Anyhow, I browsed thru the whole 180+ posts, found out that most people use as a supplement battery while the tablet battery is full. I will try that tonight.

bun

Originally Posted by znutar View Post

Do you know what the capacity for this battery is? Out of all the batteries I have looked at, the eGear offers the best as far as capacity, looks, and price. It also has a battery meter, upping the proporta or javoedge battery in, I guess, usability.
The Tekkeon was appealing, but I realized NiMH AA batteries just don't hold their charge long enough (unless you own a pair of eneloops, but thats besides the point). Though the flexibility is a nice feature. But at 4280mAh at $30, thats pretty dang good.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
No. I am using Fanoush's boot menu, but I did not choose the last option "...no charger plugged". my 2X AA external charger cannot wake up the N800, it gives a screen of "...hold menu to get boot menu...". It does wake up the 770 though. Anyhow, I browsed thru the whole 180+ posts, found out that most people use as a supplement battery while the tablet battery is full. I will try that tonight.

bun
I've used my IOGear battery backup to charge a totally-exhausted-to-shutting-the-N800-down-automatically battery, and it charged it. I wish I could help with whatever your N800's problem is, I was just making a guess based on my experience.

BTW, exhausting the battery like that seemed to get its capacity back to what it was originally, more or less.

Also BTW, I'm going to buy one of those solar Powermonkeys znutar posted about. I'm an easy sucker for an $80 rebate.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I've used my IOGear battery backup to charge a totally-exhausted-to-shutting-the-N800-down-automatically battery, and it charged it...
I still remember my Physics 101, charging a battery has to do with the difference in the voltage between the charge source and the charge destination. I think the voltage between 2 AA battery and the N800 is simply too small to be working. While the laptop computer or even just 4 AA battery is large enough to do the job. I think I can still make use of this 2 AA battery charger, I will test it to run with an N800, see whether that would increase run time.

bun

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
@ Bunanson - I picked up the Nokia CA100 cable off of Amazon for $15 total here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...0079898&sr=8-1

Seller was good, shipping was fast.

@Geraldko - LOL!! I've often thought the same thing about using solar chargers here :P Everytime I think of buying one - I'm able to talk myself out of it. I did buy at flashlite/usb charger that uses a human powered cranking mechanism to charge batteries though.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
I am disappointed.
How long can your system run continuously under this test conditions: I want to use a stressed condition, so as to see an endpoint quick. Here is my stress conditions, Volume is set to max and back down just a touch, worry prolong playing with max vol may damage the small speakers. Running kmplayer 93 world TV, playlist 99TV4IT8d.m3u.txt, dl here please, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=19044, with volume almost to the top and video brightness to the top. (kmplayer will play continuously)

On my freshly top off N800 battery coupled with my newly acquired battery extender using a set of two 2000mAh freshly charged battery, it ran only 135 min!

I quickly switched with another set of freshly charged 2000 mAh and the program continue to run without a gap. Now I switched to VideoCenter and running CBS KatieCouric Evening news continuously (media player>player>mode>repeat). Apparantly, if I can catch my battery extender before it dies, I can replace with another set of charged battery and keep on going, so far so good, it has been going on for another 1 hrs so far...

So, under this stressed use, a top/freshed charge N800 + 2 sets of 2000 mAh AA batter, so far, it is running into 3 hrs and 10 min.
N800/2007.51-3/MMC boot.

Tomorrow, I will try to run the same setup without battery extender and see how it goes and different configuration, including internal flash boot, etc.

Hey, PCQ and anybody using any kind of battery extender, please run it at max screen brightness and almost max audio and any streaming video (streaming also using WiFi), and see how long can you run with your setup, a freshly topped N800 battery, please use genuine battery and specify your configuration, plus your battery extender/charger or what not, see how far can you go before your N800 quits. Mine, N800 battery + 2 AA 2000mAh = 2hr 15 min. I am disappointed.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am disappointed.

I switched to VideoCenter and running CBS KatieCouric Evening news continuously (media player>player>mode>repeat).

bun
bun, you're only disappointed? I'd think by now you would have been driven insane!

(Piin Cushion Queen -- this wraps up yet another sunny day, eh?)

Help Save This Forum

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2008-05-07 at 02:31.

I got my answer, totally not acceptable.

I played the same N800 without "battery extender", just the N800 freshly topped battery, it ran 130 min straight till its knee and shut off. This compares to 135 min with battery extender. Horse5hit!!! So much for battery extender. It appears worked ONLY when the N800 battery is down to low critical, then my battery extender with 2 freshly charged 2000mAh is able to buy an additional hours, almost 50% of the native N800 battery. Not bad. It does no squat when the N800 battery is fresh and top. my next expt is to run at a very conservative measure and see how long it can run.

Edit: I was wrong about waking up the N800. My battery extender, 2 X AA 2000mAh freshly charged, seemed able to charge the N800, after waiting for 20 min, while the N800 battery charging cartoon is showing, it then waked up my N800, and has been running for an additional 20 min or so and still running, lets see how long it runs this time, and this is an internal flash boot, running on stressed conditions as quoted in previous post, almost mas audio, max brightness and WiFi streaming video.

Edit: 51 min. a set of freshly charged AA 2000mAh battery able to charge a dead N800 battery for 15 min and keep it running for another 51 min under a max/stressed conditions. Umm, maybe it is functional afterall.

Edit: 2X AA 1800 mAh also wakes up the N800 after 10 min of "charging" but runs only 2min under any conditions. Size matters
bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-05-08 at 01:07.