Active Topics

Originally Posted by mgelon View Post
I have the same problem. I had GVM running great, installed an app that seemed to corrupt the GVM.Store and now I can't get it to run again. It ether locks up when I try to run something or gives me the 0x30... error. I have installed/uninstalled 10 times and have verified that the directories and files mentioned in this forum are actually removed on an uninstall. Anyone figure out what is going on?
What worked for me..... I followed the advice of another poster who knew what he was talking about and I rebooted my N800. That seemed to fix the problem for me. Hope this helps!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by mgelon View Post
I have the same problem. I had GVM running great, installed an app that seemed to corrupt the GVM.Store and now I can't get it to run again. It ether locks up when I try to run something or gives me the 0x30... error. I have installed/uninstalled 10 times and have verified that the directories and files mentioned in this forum are actually removed on an uninstall. Anyone figure out what is going on?
Reboot.

and what happen?

bun

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Nitesky View Post
...I followed the advice of another poster who knew what he was talking about ...
You just made me feel like a Linux person, whew! In reality, I am still tip toeing like a newbie.
You are welcome.

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Reboot.

and what happen?

bun
I know enough to reboot. :-) I have gone through cycles of uninstall, reboot, install, reboot, etc. I get the error on a new install, I reformat the storage heap (to different sizes from 4MB to 64MB) and get the standard apps. I try to launch one and I lock up. This happens everytime.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
I think I'll wait before installing this one...
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Munising, MI
Special Note to Nokia :
My NIT IS a PDA! It just took a company with some motivation to provide a complete solution, instead of the half-baked ones we have grown to loath..um, er... love, that you have decided were "good enough"
Now I have a PIM that is U S E F U L, and an NIT that surfs the web quite efficiently! The browser in the ONE thing you guys got most right....but even that, based on an alpha codebase, has more work to be done on it.

If you can pull off full functionality like the Garnet VM is giving us in the N900, I'm ready to buy! Otherwise, dont waste our time with it.

I LOVE the new Garnet VM and report every error or problem I find directly to their site. I really want to see this thing get perfected!

Last edited by WorkingOnWise; 2008-06-02 at 16:20.

If the GVM is so hot, why do you need Nokia to provide equivalent functionality? Seems like if they focus on the browser and hardware, and Access focuses on the GVM, the N900 would be at least as good a fit as if Nokia wastes time reimplementing a PIM that winds up being a clone of PalmOS stuff, and leaves the browser to stagnate?

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
If the GVM is so hot, why do you need Nokia to provide equivalent functionality? Seems like if they focus on the browser and hardware, and Access focuses on the GVM, the N900 would be at least as good a fit as if Nokia wastes time reimplementing a PIM that winds up being a clone of PalmOS stuff, and leaves the browser to stagnate?

Wrong! I love Garnet VM and what it does, but it is not a true substitute because it does not integrate with maemo. It is in its own environment and cannot be reached or reach maemo. Unfortunately, I think Nokia has taken its stance on a PIM Suite and this is the best we can do. It sucks that I have to open up Garnet to use the PIM. Well, thanks to Garnet for doing what Nokia wouldn't. Documents to go rocks as well!

Originally Posted by Markie71 View Post
This is superb. I've just installed it and it looks amazing.

Just a couple of points that seem to stand out :
  1. It would be excellent if there was an option to jump straight to the palm home screen rather than via one of the apps.
  2. In the Garnet VM Launcher would it not be simpler if you could double click on the icons to launch rather than having to select the icon then select launch.

Both items are really small beer in the long run but I feel would add considerably to the user experience.

Mark

You can jump directly to the home screen and bypass the launcher by using the command (in xterm or personal menu)
~ $ /usr/bin/gvm/gvm -a lnch -n ************ -z 1.5 -B /usr/bin/gvm/gvm_bg.jpg

what this does is:
-a lnch -- launches you to the home screen directly
-n ************ -- stores your chosen number as the palm ID (used for software that requires DRM/other identification to work)
-z 1.5 -- zooms the screen in portrait mode to look like a palm
-B /usr/bin/gvm/gvm_bg.jpg -- uses the jpg file as the background the way Garnet does

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
well this is fun, using kpilot i now have korganizer and gvm synced :P

still, the gvm is only beta, and supposedly time limited, so...

Tags
garnet, palm