Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Dont know what I did, the task menu bar shrinked into one vertical bar with an arrow. Upon clicking it, it opens two more vertical transparant bars, but no menu. How to "log off" session safely? Thanks.

On my screen, I have Home and System, how can I use this to exit KDE safely? Last time I turn off the tablet without exit KDE, my SD card died. I am NOT sure they are related, but I hope history does NOT repeat itself.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-12 at 10:27.

I open a terminal window, gainroot, reboot. And my SD appeared fine and the task bar returned upon reboot. Keep my fingers cross..........

bun

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
dont ya love that panicky oh s@#$ feeling you get...

The Following User Says Thank You to joepagiii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't run KDE on my N800, but the traditional way out of KDE or any window manager in case of urgent need is to hit Ctrl-Alt-BkSpc

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
That takes out the X server, but I'm not sure that kdrive pays attention to that... you can always ssh in and shut it down, if you've had the foresight to set that up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
@joepagiii: Well, it does not feel good, thats true. Thank god, I was working from 6a-p, that is when I decided to take the plunge

@geneven: Good idea...where is the Alt key?

@Benson: Well, I try to avoid brute force shut down, as I am not sure whether the "log off" session write anything to the rootfs. My dead SD card is only 24 hrs fresh...... PB probably say it is unrelated. But without hearing from the guru first, my sphincter tone remains tight....and I would also like to know my alternate choice if the "log off" session button is hidden.

Thanks, all is fine.......so far,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-13 at 23:28.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I've set up a keyboard shortcut on my N810 so that I can use Ctrl+Z to access KMenu at any time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:

Tags
kde, kde35, kmenu